HpH 1/32 Heinkel He177

Archimedes

13 hours ago, Archimedes said:

As for the Greif: I am really glad that it toots the horns of some here.  I admire the Roy Cross painting for the Airfix kit box top but the aircraft itself doesn’t do a lot for me as it was simply asked to do too much and, as a result did not appear to do anything particularly well.

HjWGAz.jpg

Success (or not) is never a criteria for me when it comes to buying kits. I love the '177 and I think it was that box art that did it!

23 hours ago, Zola25 said:

One of the meanest looking aircraft of WW2 - I would certainly consider getting one.

A couple of years ago on this forum I made a top 5 list of aircraft I would love to see in 1/32

The Saab Draken, SR-71 and the He177 were on that list - that is 3 out of 5. Not a bad couple of years ^_^

/Niels

Would you please now make another top 5 list and not forget to include  F-111, F-101, F-102, F-106... (and you choose the fifth)... all in 1:32 please :D:D

Edited by mattcour

51 minutes ago, mattcour said:

Would you please now make another top 5 list and not forget to include  F-111, F-101, F-102, F-106... (and you choose the fifth)... all in 1:32 please :D:D

The F-111 is already on it :D - The last one was the Su-30SM

16 hours ago, Mr.T said:

How do they design it? There is no original copy left in the world? Just the scale plans? And are these available? And photographic material (interior etc)??

Great idea, but tough execution?

how did Airfux make their 1/72, and MPM / HPH whoever they were at the time make their 1/48?

having the real thing to laser scan is ideal, but I don’t think it’s necessary to get something that’s accurate (and more accurate does not mean a 100% replication of every detail).

i actually have mixed emotions about this though - I really *really* wanted one of these in 1/32 but just *not* resin :(

I always thought this was a natural choice for HKM and that it would be a massive seller for them

opportunity lost I guess

27 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

how did Airfux make their 1/72, and MPM / HPH whoever they were at the time make their 1/48?

having the real thing to laser scan is ideal, but I don’t think it’s necessary to get something that’s accurate (and more accurate does not mean a 100% replication of every detail).

i actually have mixed emotions about this though - I really *really* wanted one of these in 1/32 but just *not* resin :(

I always thought this was a natural choice for HKM and that it would be a massive seller for them

opportunity lost I guess

I suppose you're right. It is great they give it a go and bring a more exotic plane to the modellers. But resin...hmmm, yikes, dusty business

14 hours ago, nmayhew said:

opportunity lost I guess

Actually, I think the price will be a major factor. The ongoing trend of price inflation of new large plastic kits coming from HKM (and more globally from Asia) may result in what you are afraid of. It looks either some modellers do not want or simply cannot afford allocating hundreds of euros/pounds/dollars to a single kit, either they do. And if they can do it and are willing to do it, many will do it even if the price is 600 rather than 300. In that case, the resin release may kill the profitablity of a plastic one. Even if Luftwaffe sells, the He-177 is huge and does not have the same attractivity as a B-17 or a Lancaster... However, who knows what some companies are making now? You mentioned HKM but Hobbyboss has also released some large bombers. So, weren't they designing other ones...?

On 11/25/2022 at 3:50 AM, nmayhew said:

opportunity lost I guess

What is it about a resin kit that puts you off?

8 hours ago, Archimedes said:

What is it about a resin kit that puts you off?

I'm in the same boat regarding resin and it's more fear than anything else. Never built a resin kit, I guess the first one you do will be like jumping back in years to an inexperienced scale IM modeller and they aren't cheap if you get it wrong. I've been flirting with getting one and giving it a go for the past few years. I think the time is coming to just do it as I'm missing out on some great kits that aren't available in IM.  Is there a good resin aircraft tutorial book or website out there somewhere ??

neil 

36 minutes ago, npb748r said:

I'm in the same boat regarding resin and it's more fear than anything else. Never built a resin kit, I guess the first one you do will be like jumping back in years to an inexperienced scale IM modeller and they aren't cheap if you get it wrong. I've been flirting with getting one and giving it a go for the past few years. I think the time is coming to just do it as I'm missing out on some great kits that aren't available in IM.  Is there a good resin aircraft tutorial book or website out there somewhere ??

neil 

Actually the differences with injected kits are limited. Some plastic models are more brittle or ask for more cleaning than others. This is the same for resin kits. Some parts may be warped (as in some plastic models). Hopefully, resin is more forgivable with heat to straighten them! Sometimes you need to reinforce or repair parts. Again, modelling techniques are similar. You just need some good saws to separate the parts from the gates. You also need other glues (epoxy and CA ones). Take the time to test them and get different setting times and viscosity. Note you have a similar issue with plastic kits: you cannot easily glue a long fuselage with ultra-thin glue! Last, to me, the major drawback is the fact it is often complicated if not risky to scribe resin because the material is not often as homogeneous as plastic. Hopefully this is rarely required on resin kits. So, there is no magic. This is not very different from plastic models. If you are already using resin accessories such as cockpits or wells, you will not really discover new things. By the way, to conclude, note that it is often easier to assemble a full resin kit than a conversion for a plastic kit. If you want a recommendation for an easy to build resin model, simply give the type of topic that interests you, many people here will be able to give you good proposals. However, start with a simple single engine and seater plane, not a large bomber!