Best Flat and Gloss Varnish/Coat for Scale Model Aircraft in a bottle.

George

I typically use Tamiya Flat Clear and Gloss Clear Spray for decal surface preparation and the final coat for my scale model aircraft. 

I also have AK Interactive flat and gloss varnish which could be used.  However, what is your recommendation especially for the one best kits ever made-the Promodeler 1/48 SB2C-4 Helldiver?

On 11/21/2022 at 10:59 PM, George said:

I typically use Tamiya Flat Clear and Gloss Clear Spray for decal surface preparation and the final coat for my scale model aircraft.

You use the term "Gloss Clear Spray," above. Are you talking about the rattle-can product?

31 minutes ago, George said:

Hi Ivanmoe,

Yes. I use the rattle-can product.  Thoughts?  G-Man

Nothing in the way of criticism.

However, in my VERY limited experience with Tamiya clear-sprays, I found it difficult to get an even coat on the surfaces of "small scale planes," props with a lot of uneven surfaces.

Put another way, at times it seemed like I was taking a shotgun to a job that would benefit from more precision in application.

The other difficulty that I ran into was that TS clears could come out of the can really "hot," and want to deform/decompose decals.

That's all really...oh, and I find rattle-cans to be somewhat wasteful, even when everything is otherwise cooking for me.

3 hours ago, ivanmoe said:

Nothing in the way of criticism.

However, in my VERY limited experience with Tamiya clear-sprays, I found it difficult to get an even coat on the surfaces of "small scale planes," props with a lot of uneven surfaces.

Put another way, at times it seemed like I was taking a shotgun to a job that would benefit from more precision in application.

The other difficulty that I ran into was that TS clears could come out of the can really "hot," and want to deform/decompose decals.

That's all really...oh, and I find rattle-cans to be somewhat wasteful, even when everything is otherwise cooking for me.

Ivanmoe: Thanks.  You are absolutely correct about TS clears coming out hot and deform/decompose the decals.  All the best, George

1 hour ago, chukw said:

Alclad Aqua Gloss Clear ALC 600 is a great gloss. I spray it straight from the 4FL OZ bottle or brush it on small areas.

Hi Chukw:  Alclad Aqua Gloss Clear ALC 600 sounds great. It appears to pre-thinned for the correction composition.  I'll check for the Aqua Flat. Thanks!  G-Man

I use Alclad light sheen allot( not the aqua one) works great, but not the Strongest if you want to use it as a barrier coat for weathering. For complete flat the best ive ever used is humbrol flat clear its amazing, the gloss is garbage(many times it would not dry), the satin yellows but the flat is brilliant for some reason

17 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

I've always had good results from Gunze GX100 gloss, and GX114 for flat clears.  Both are pretty much bulletproof, and do what they do exceptionally.

Matt 

Hi Matt.  Thank you had a belated Thanksgiving!  What would be best ratio of Mr Color thinner to GX100 and GX114?  1:1? 2:1? 3:1? All the best, George