Luftwaffe's Warthog: The Hs.129

Uncarina

19 minutes ago, Dennis7423 said:

Tom, I could happily sit back and peruse your builds all day long! Outstanding work on a really neat kit. Those engines look outstanding. Keep up the great work!

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

Dennis, you are way too kind! I appreciate your support and encouragement. No inspirational quotes in this one, since my Hs.129 library is extremely small!

Cheers,  Tom

Cockpit time! One of my favorite parts of a build. I assembled everything relatively rapidly, painting with Tamiya German Grey for the RLM 66 and a custom mix of Tamiya paints for RLM 02. I used the Quinta set for several reasons, but overall the scale effect of the knobs and levers were much better than the kit parts. I might use the Quinta seatbelts, but I'm not sure that the shoulder straps will be long enough, so I have Eduard fabric belts in reserve. Otherwise, touching up with Vallejo paints, weathering with Tamiya washes, a gray Prisma pencil, and Ammo dust. The only fit issue I had was with the cap at the front; I had to cut notches in the side pieces to get it to fit. Fortunately none of this should be visible. Overall the cockpit is well designed, but there are visible sinkholes on the seat (four) and the side pieces (two each). Here are some in progress photos (note, please disregard the bent pull handle at the top of the IP; I've since corrected it!):

uqPHkX0.jpg

LMtQSFD.jpg

hXD56Ai.jpg

DzaVdLX.jpg

BX0e9lU.jpg

udDX8Fq.jpg

wGZCqti.jpg

Until next time!

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

thanks for posting - great build. I really have to try a ZM kit. And of course they have a nice catalogue (albeit limited). Cost is well ...whatever ... its' entertainment. I could go out for an expensive dinner or buy a kit. it's more about building things which get covered up but... that's often the case with good kits. And i do like being edjumicated, And good engineering. And rivets. Here's a weird thing - i don't have much experience but i love radial engines but inlines do nothing for me (from a modelling perspective). I guess i just dig radial engined planes. 

I really like the Quinta stuff and similar 3-d printed details because they have a depth and rigidity when removed from the carrier sheet which makes them easy to install. (i use canopy glue or "Future")- much better than PE. But the belts are too thick. Fabric belts or molded resin AM seats look better and are easier. plus things like 3-d printed levers are hard to install - too fussy. it's the one case if one was really going to go to town where PE levers are better. 

Nice cockpit.  The Quinta decals give it a nice lift.

I used the Z-M/Eduard etch when I did mine, and this turned out well.  I built the fuselage before the cockpit, and put the shoulder belts on after attaching the completed cockpit to the fuselage.  They attach to the bulkhead separating the fuel tank and cockpit through the armour head rest, which has to fold back so that the pilot can get in and out of the plane.  Apparently, the fuselage insides were canvas lined.

The one thing to be careful of with this model is attaching the cockpit to the fuselage, or you'll have trouble attaching the outer forward panels later on.  It's not difficult as long as you can get a smooth transition through the gun troughs and the bottom rear cockpit mount line up well.  the it's plain sailing.

Cheers,

Michael

Nice job on the cockpit Tom, you need some nice long shoulder belts for this one! Micheal is correct in that the Hs129 had a leather/ canvas lining to the cockpit tub and yes be careful when attaching the tub to the fuselage as well.

Dt-BHq-SQVAAAJb-6.jpg

20191229_171814.jpg

Regards. Andy 

11 hours ago, Jboldt007 said:

thanks for posting - great build. I really have to try a ZM kit. And of course they have a nice catalogue (albeit limited). Cost is well ...whatever ... its' entertainment. I could go out for an expensive dinner or buy a kit. it's more about building things which get covered up but... that's often the case with good kits. And i do like being edjumicated, And good engineering. And rivets. Here's a weird thing - i don't have much experience but i love radial engines but inlines do nothing for me (from a modelling perspective). I guess i just dig radial engined planes. 

I really like the Quinta stuff and similar 3-d printed details because they have a depth and rigidity when removed from the carrier sheet which makes them easy to install. (i use canopy glue or "Future")- much better than PE. But the belts are too thick. Fabric belts or molded resin AM seats look better and are easier. plus things like 3-d printed levers are hard to install - too fussy. it's the one case if one was really going to go to town where PE levers are better. 

Thank you John! I feel the same way about radial engines, especially building them. I have the Eduard fabric belts and plan to use them, mainly because the Quinta belts are too short. Also, the latter can only be bent so fare before they break, so it can be challenging to get them to drape naturally. However, I prefer the Quinta knobs and levers because they:

—are more 3 dimensional

—can be bent without popping off (to a point)

—adhere better

—come with spares.

I appreciate you checking in!

Cheers,  Tom

9 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Nice cockpit.  The Quinta decals give it a nice lift.

I used the Z-M/Eduard etch when I did mine, and this turned out well.  I built the fuselage before the cockpit, and put the shoulder belts on after attaching the completed cockpit to the fuselage.  They attach to the bulkhead separating the fuel tank and cockpit through the armour head rest, which has to fold back so that the pilot can get in and out of the plane.  Apparently, the fuselage insides were canvas lined.

The one thing to be careful of with this model is attaching the cockpit to the fuselage, or you'll have trouble attaching the outer forward panels later on.  It's not difficult as long as you can get a smooth transition through the gun troughs and the bottom rear cockpit mount line up well.  the it's plain sailing.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael, thank you very much for the advice!

Cheers,  Tom

5 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Nice job on the cockpit Tom, you need some nice long shoulder belts for this one! Micheal is correct in that the Hs129 had a leather/ canvas lining to the cockpit tub and yes be careful when attaching the tub to the fuselage as well.

Dt-BHq-SQVAAAJb-6.jpg

20191229_171814.jpg

Regards. Andy 

Andy, thanks for checking in and your advice! Your photo also gives me a sense of how long the shoulder straps will need to be. Are we sure that the canvas or leather was universally applied? I’ve just got added it based on your great reference photo and because of the visual appeal, but seem to recall a discussion about this topic.

Cheers,  Tom