1:32 Cutlass

Dandiego

Well here I go again.

Not finished with my #2 Vigi build but I wanted to start designing my next project.

I have made small strides in my Fusion 360 abilities and wanted to see if I could design and build something that that is a little more "curvy" compared to the rather boxy Vigi.

So here are some preliminary drawings and a first test print. Both show promise, so I am encouraged, however there are flaws aplenty in both. So I will be starting over with a brand new design learning from my mistakes and hopefully producing a better model.

G3Da0rA.jpg

AWpYile.jpg?1

This will be the F7U-1. I always liked it better than the -3. Dark Sea Blue. 

Dan

I am  creating my drawings in solid modeling. Usually creating profiles and performing a loft between the profiles. This produces a solid shape which you then hollow out using the shell command. 

I have been at this for over a year. Sloooooooowly getting better.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, shark64 said:

great subject. I just read the history on the plane, not a favorite with the pilots who flew it. It was considered for the Blue Angels at some point. Will follow the build for sure.

Oliver

Thanks Oliver, still stretching my CAD muscles. Still so much to learn. However with the fuselage mostly done the wings should follow quickly. Will probably do a test print to see how the fuselage looks in the flesh.

This aircraft is considered "extinct " as there are no surviving examples. So it is a little hard to find detailed walk-around photos. Some guess work is involved.

I have found that designing and printing my own subjects is quite satisfying. My 20 or so injection molded kits are languishing on the shelf. The only tough part is canopies and markings.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

LQ0569N.jpg?1

Had a bit of a head scratcher on the tails. Couldn't get the top view and the side view to line up. Crap!  Lightbulb moment. The drawings didn't line up because the different views had the front end of the vertical tail start in 2 different places. Once I figured that out is was smooth sailing.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego