HK A20 Sprue shots

Phartycr0c

18 hours ago, Smeds said:

And so it begins........

And you're completely free to build yours with all four sets of pushrods.... I guess any "less-than-glowing" observations are unacceptable when it's patently obvious they used the same engine tooling/design for the R-2600 engines from the B-25 kits.  These "gafs" are some of the reasons I don't buy HK, Trumpeter, Hobby BooBoo, or kits of similar ilk...I did emphatically state that the pushrod error was a very easy fix.

Edited by Juggernut

Neil has been made aware of the engine pushrod issue and it is being corrected for the kit release. 

I must emphasise this it a test shot and to that end corrections where necessary can still be made. 

I am not going to mention any issues I come across here, as it would not be fair taking into account this is not the final release and I am building without instructions. 

Suffice to say, if after the kit is released, there is constructive criticism to be levelled at HK then do so. Please also bear in mind that HK are and always have been, well aware that their kits are not a one stop shop and many modelers will use aftermarket items. 

I must say however that this is probably their best kit release to date. 

1 hour ago, Phartycr0c said:

Neil has been made aware of the engine pushrod issue and it is being corrected for the kit release. 

I must emphasise this it a test shot and to that end corrections where necessary can still be made. 

I am not going to mention any issues I come across here, as it would not be fair taking into account this is not the final release and I am building without instructions. 

Suffice to say, if after the kit is released, there is constructive criticism to be levelled at HK then do so. Please also bear in mind that HK are and always have been, well aware that their kits are not a one stop shop and many modelers will use aftermarket items. 

I must say however that this is probably their best kit release to date. 

Very glad to hear that Neil is open to fixes and I do  realize this is a test shot but thanks for the clarification.  This kit does look like a really top effort on their part and hope it's well researched(which I'm sure it is).  I'm not an A20 aficionado but this latest effort looks to be a winner.  While the A20 is not a huge 1/32 twin, it's still pretty large and would need a dedicated display case (in my house).  I've been working on such a display design that is modular so I can take advantage of some of these larger kits (which I do like). 

My previous remark about not buying HK, Trumpeter, Hobby BooBoo kits was not entirely true.  I do have an HK Do335B-6 kit from HK and it appears very nice.  My main issue with HK kits is that the kits are just too large for me to display when built (Lancaster, B-17F/G, B-25's...etc.), the Do335 being an exception (even though it isn't small).  The other mfg's kits suffer from an inordinate amount of "issues" that just make these kits by my own choice, B.E.R. (a term we use in aviation which is:  Beyond Economical Repair - meaning it would cost too much in aftermarket and/or my time to make it worth my while; strictly a personal choice).

Edited by Juggernut

3 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Very glad to hear that Neil is open to fixes and I do  realize this is a test shot but thanks for the clarification.  This kit does look like a really top effort on their part and hope it's well researched(which I'm sure it is).  I'm not an A20 aficionado but this latest effort looks to be a winner.  While the A20 is not a huge 1/32 twin, it's still pretty large and would need a dedicated display case (in my house).  I've been working on such a display design that is modular so I can take advantage of some of these larger kits (which I do like). 

My previous remark about not buying HK, Trumpeter, Hobby BooBoo kits was not entirely true.  I do have an HK Do335B-6 kit from HK and it appears very nice.  My main issue with HK kits is that the kits are just too large for me to display when built (Lancaster, B-17F/G, B-25's...etc.), the Do335 being an exception (even though it isn't small).  The other mfg's kits suffer from an inordinate amount of "issues" that just make these kits by my own choice, B.E.R. (a term we use in aviation which is:  Beyond Economical Repair - meaning it would cost too much in aftermarket and/or my time to make it worth my while; strictly a personal choice).

Agree with everything you've said.The A-20 has always been one of my favs, ever since the 7th grade, my math teacher that year flew them in the south pacific and he just raved about them. He said he had just over 100 missions and wouldn't fly anything else . We've been kind of starved for A-20s in kit form so this is a must buy for me. Although this only a test shot it really does look good . As far as the push rod thing , just block 2 of the gates off. I 've only built one H-k kit and that was the 1/48th Lancaster and while I wasn't overly impressed,it did come out looking pretty good if I do say so myself. When does this come out again? You can also build this with Russian markings as ,I believe they got a 1/3 of the Gs built , if I remember correctly.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2022 at 12:42 PM, Dennis7423 said:

Looks outstanding! And for those that don't want to look it up, the A-20K is essentially the same as the A-20J, with the difference being the engines. The A-20G and J used an R-2600-23, while the K used an R-2600-29. Both the J and the K had a bomber nose, rather than the gun nose here.

Another neat part about the A-20, which harkens to us modelers, is the plane was build very modularly like our model airplanes. Not modular like a B-17 or B-29... the fuselage was build in two halves with much of the internal structure, then joined together, just like our models.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

Edited by Brock
Made a mistake on responce

On 11/18/2022 at 6:32 PM, chrish said:

I have to admit, I had no interest in an A-20….until I saw these pictures…Damn you!!

I had no interest either until I flew one...virtually that is (IL-2 Great Battles), and now I like it better than the B-25.  It has a single pilot seat in the cockpit and flies like a really big fighter.  Nice.  I will not hesitate to buy one, although I would really like the glass nose.

Edited by spreckair
spelling

With all the 3D printing going around these days, I wonder if someone will create a rear observers tub plug and glasshouse style front end for earlier versions. There should be no visual external changes other than those two areas … Model Monkey even makes all the electronics needed for the rear already, thanks to their Beaufighter gear.

In theory … it should be quite simple to draw them up with the Clear stuff being the main manufacturing problem - as clear resin is always difficult to cast successfully. A simple nose swap for a Boston, or cannon barrel swap / machine gun rearrangement for a Havoc on the front end … and a cut and shunt observers ‘plug’.

Rog :)

27 minutes ago, Phartycr0c said:

The glass nose is slated for production although I am not entirely sure about the non turret version I can try and find out . 

We could see the nose rendered in what looked like 3D printed format in photos from Telford. This nose will be used for J/K variants ...

As of now, apparently, there is no intention of providing the boxings of earlier variants ...

If they were to consider it later on ... some new tooling would be required for both clear and grey plastic.

They could probably save a little money by making an insert for the fuselage mould around the turret area and having a "plug" to adapt it to the older style rear observers position.

Rog :)