THE EYE OF THE STORM! Revell Hurricane

quang

1 hour ago, Cees Broere said:

Indeed, One-oh-four and I have had a good look at the built op model. It looked great.

also two canopies, one of which is intended to portray the slid back hood.

The Revell representative confirmed that a Mk I will follow.

This is because Hurricane canopies run on curved rails, and thin and flexible, so change shape when open or closed,  when shout the front is narrower and higher, and open the front is wider and lower.  

Also when Hurricane canopy frames often look quite tatty, the flexing cause the paint to flake off..

1 hour ago, Mark P said:

Anyone know if different propeller options are planned? If not, I'm sure the aftermarket people will step up.

Mark Proulx

From what I can iin the sprue shots and build up, we have the common Rotol unit used by Mk.II's,  there are at least two blade shapes, and two types of 'bullet' spinner, the kit look to have the ES/9 unit.  They two spinner types are very similar at first look, 

the bullet shaped ES/9 spinner and the slightly longer CM/1.

The difference in shape between the two is very subtle with the ES/9 having a constantly increasing curve from the back plate to the nose while the CM/1 has a flatter curve from backing plate to just in front of the blades and then a slightly steeper curve from that point.

The easiest way of telling the difference is but looking at the way spinners attach to the back plate.

The CM/1 spinner is locked by a single slot located on the backing plate so if you can’t see any holes on the spinner you may be looking at a CM/1. If you are lucky and the prop has stopped in the correct place you may even be able to see the slot in the backing plate.   It also has a seam just in front of the  

blades, sometimes you can see oil streaks.  You also see a black square round the slot sometimes. 

It is I believe a bit longer than the ES/9 , and this may account for different quoted lengths for the Mk.II

51806738800_cff32a8c2e_b.jpg

The ES/9 is attached by six locking studs on the spinner so if you can see two small holes on the spinner between the blades, you are looking at an ES/9. Just be aware if you are looking at a close-up, DH spinners attach in a similar way.

51806129048_5a9961aa80_o.jpg

note late Mk.I's got the CM/1 unit, the type initially introduced, the ES/9 came in later, and becomes the common type, but you CM/1 quite late in production.   see here 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235078582-hurricane-rotol-spinners-the-cm1-vs-es9-quest

You would need new spinner for the Rotol unit commonly associated with the BoB, the ES/6, but the "Mk.I" is a term that can cover A LOT of variations, there are 6 or 7 props and spinners you can see on a Mk.I, not including the one in Canada that got Battle props.

see here for as a complete run down of what I know.  

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

which does at least have identifier photos, and what is likley fitted to what and where.....  

I'll stress this again, what throws modeller is Hurricanes are simple simple simple COMPLEX, the complex bit is various small external details that vary, and are not well covered in most references. 

These are also the bits that a modeller interested in making an accurate model wants to know... 

Once you know what too look for it's easy enough, but it can be a bit random, so with the CM/1 vs ES/9, you won't know what fitted without a photo generally, same with 20 mm cannon barrels,

there is the Mk.I with flat spring at base,

Sir_Roderic_presentation_Hurricane_No_94

and Mk.II with a round spring in the middle,

WAAF_armourers_and_flight_mechanics_serv

note Canadian radiator

Hurricane-IIc-RAF-11Sqn-Hellzapoppin-at-

Lovley image of the ES/9 spinner, and the white line on the back of the blade, sadly i don't think the identity of this one is known

the Mk.II replaced the Mk.I,  but again there is no 'rule' ....

Edited by Troy Smith
additions

39 minutes ago, dennismcc said:

My finger will be on the "buy" button straight away if a Sea Hurricane appears, which looking at the sprues is highly likely.

Cheers

Dennis

From what I can see,  you can do a Sea Hurricane OOB, but ONLY one of the few Canadian built JS*** that retained their B wing.

BUT MOST Sea Hurricane II's were C winged,

the only ones with the B wing are the JS*** serialed Canadian built ones,  and the only markings I know of for them are the Torch photos.

JS355

Fleet-Air-Arm-Sea-Hurricane-XII-JS355-du

these 2, both listed as JS327

but I think these are different,  as on is on a beach, 

Hawker-Sea-Hurricane-XII-RAF-JS327-force

the other is on a field

Sea_Hurricane_Mk_XII_JS327_shot_down_194

Being Canadian they would have a different radiator intake shape.  All Canadian built Hurricanes I have seen where you can see the serial and radiator show it was retained, and you do see both in photos.

eg this HMS Vindex Hurricane,  has the Canadian radiator,  (curved sides) but has been rewinged with C wings

large_000000.jpg

this is the British type, more of a rectangle

b19ea5fe028dfe8636a823d65ab4e424.jpg

The above is very interesting  shipboard conversion with rockets for their Swordfish....  which is another story...

First, let me say the Hurricane has not held a lot of fascination for me. However, that doesn't mean I don't have plenty of books on it in my library. :clap2:.So, after the tutorial I got earlier in this thread on Hurricane props (who thought it could be so complicated :mental:), I opted to spend a Saturday afternoon reading up on the Hurricane. Geez...

Now, I am left with even more questions! So, I read that Gloster didn't use standard colors for the national insignias on their Hurricane builds. WTH? What did they use and why? :BANGHEAD2:.

Does it need to be this complicated? 

Mark Proulx

15 minutes ago, Mark P said:

First, let me say the Hurricane has not held a lot of fascination for me. However, that doesn't mean I don't have plenty of books on it in my library. :clap2:.So, after the tutorial I got earlier in this thread on Hurricane props (who thought it could be so complicated :mental:),

Its not that complex, and it just they were at a time of changes, and also from different suppliers. 

Really hurricanes are very simple, say 80% or  more of the Airframe is common to all of them (except the fabric wing ones)  it's just the bits that do change are very visible.

15 minutes ago, Mark P said:

I opted to spend a Saturday afternoon reading up on the Hurricane. Geez...

Now, I am left with even more questions! So, I read that Gloster didn't use standard colors for the national insignias on their Hurricane builds. WTH? What did they use and why? :BANGHEAD2:.

Does it need to be this complicated? 

you could say that about life....

Re Gloster, and roundel colours,  they used the pre camouflage brighter blue and red, note the camouflage dark blue and brick red, one point not usually noted is how many of the Gloster Hurricanes subsequently got their markings repainted at an MU?

Some didn't,  at the height of the BoB. but it's hard to tell unless you have another plane with the corerect colours, or, new markings added, say when underwing roundels were re-introduced in August 1940

One other Gloster problem is some of their planes also had rather poor paint adhesion, and it flaked off the metal in big chunks.

example of all of the above

60a836afc4a0cd6395f6a88bb4b409c3.jpg

Note the wing roundel on the photographer's plane, pale and flaking off, compared to LK-A, which was Gloster built, and has had them repainted, note fin flash matches   the rest, and that is from May 1940, photo is late August,   perhaps an example of Gloster's reputed use of bright pre war red and blue?  

Heavy paint chipping is also noted on some of the first batch of Gloster built Hurricane's as well,

the plane the photo was taken from is LK-G, by Sergeant Laurence ‘Rubber’ Thorogood, and avid photographer

this is LK-G, P2829, an early Gloster build

6-768x479.jpg

14c52d1950acc70b6d0df603cc4b0534.jpg

d73e9d639f90b55c8e7f2978ed4526b7.jpg

Its very rare to have multiple images of BoB era planes like this...

the above sjo0ws the classic oil stains on Hurricane UC doors as well....

We haven't even got to the free form nature of RAF Sq codes..... no 'font', a specified size which didn't fit,  and no even a specified running order?  do the codes on the starboard side run LK-G or G-LK? 

They run LK-G, and are usually consistent in a squadrons but without a photo you won't know.... and yes, the running order in a squadron could, and did change during the war.....

Are we having fun yet? 

1 hour ago, viper said:

I find it amusing that the original members that were swift to complain and decry have been slow in coming forward..after the designer posted his build …

shame really considering they were so swift to mock it …..

Okay I'll bite. I still think there seem to be significant problems with the model in those initial publicity photos from Revell. Some of it may be the camera and lens, and since we only had to wait a couple of days to see a test build which showed the model in a different light, I have to say I wondered why they bothered with the first photos? Information from Radu and Tony does suggest that this is going to be a very nice model, and the number of versions seems almost endless! I look forward to seeing some builds on here soonish. I have way to many other things to build first.

Steve

4 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Looks to be BoB era

VY-K, of 85 Squadron, July 1940,  P3408,  probably at Debden, flow by  Sammy Allard,  one of a very extensive series of photos by Life magazine of 85 and 17 Squadrons taken at Debden and the Castle Camps satellite airfield.. 

these are the others

85 Squadron 65

85 Squadron 66 85 Squadron 67

85 album here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144949377@N05/albums/72157704898371932

17 Sq album here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144949377@N05/albums/72157678154026658

As it from July 1940, there are several examples of non standard 'sky' repaints, likely a quirk of the Debden paint shop, with wavy leading edges and high demarcations,. seen on VY-K, H, N, R, and YB-A, C, W

both units are look to have been using flight coloured spinners as well,  note that S/Ldr Peter Townsend YV-Q, P3166 has a white spinner, photos of 111 Sq in 1938 with 111 painted on show the top in flight colour, but the C/O's is all white numbered. 

After a mauling in the BoB, 85 went to Church Fenton in Yorkshire, the famous air to air shots of them are from this era, Twonsend has another VY-Q, P3854...  famous from the 1/24th Airfix kit.... what has only recently been linked up is that P3854 has fabric wings

OH, @Mark P

last year some original fabric off a Hurricane ended up on ebay, 

a Gloster built Mk.I, P3875  ended up as a maintenance (training airframe) hence the 2694M

51000639252_39518bb144_b.jpg

the brighter pre camo colurs are seen, as well as the red oxide fabric dope up the camo  

50999819598_66003939e5_b.jpg

51000518446_abbdc79d37_b.jpg

On 11/26/2022 at 2:07 PM, viper said:

I find it amusing that the original members that were swift to complain and decry have been slow in coming forward..after the designer posted his build …

shame really considering they were so swift to mock it …..

I know for my part , I had a question concerning the dihedral, now that that is cleared up I'm good for 3 of them! Thankyou Mr. Troy Smith for all the info that you've imparted, I will be using it in my builds!