THE EYE OF THE STORM! Revell Hurricane

quang

2 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

I think it might be pertinent that I split all the Hurricane info into its own thread in Aviation Discussion, and pare this one back to only those posts related to the new Revell kit.

Kev

OK fellas, I've gone and done just that. Most of the early gnashing of teeth over the dihedral has been cleaned up, and those posts that veered into discussing the Hurricane more broadly have been moved into the following thread in Aviation Discussion:

This is necessarily an imperfect process, so I apologise if I've butchered any of the content at either end. But the upshot is this: please continue discussion of the new Revell Hurricane in this thread, and the pursuit of information regarding the Hawker Hurricane generally in the new one linked above.

Kev

Yeahhhh a new tool {Radub} hurri!

M...(Sh...in french) , a IIb, not the emblematic one, a BoF or a BoB mark I !:crying:(!!!)

Sometime, I cannot understand some marketing choise, it's very cool that Revell continues to do some kit, and more 1/32, but why a second rate gizmo?!? If they want to do a Hawker tank buster, there is no correct Typhoon!

I will have to wait an expensive addon despite the remarcable quality of this kit...

Fab... a bit disappointed

1 minute ago, fab said:

Yeahhhh a new tool {Radub} hurri!

M...(Sh...in french) , a IIb, not the emblematic one, a BoF or a BoB mark I !:crying:(!!!)

Sometime, I cannot understand some marketing choise, it's very cool that Revell continues to do some kit, and more 1/32, but why a second rate gizmo?!? If they want to do a Hawker tank buster, there is no correct Typhoon!

I will have to wait an expensive addon despite the remarcable quality of this kit...

Fab... a bit disappointed

Because the IIb was VERY widely used, with many colour schemes.  

Including, UK, Temperate Land Scheme, Day Fighter Scheme, night fighter black,  desert, Malta, SEAC, various options for that, VVS, Portugal, Free French (only a few) ...with a new prop, Canadian Mk.XII. 

You really want a BoB Hurricane out of this ? Make it this a Mk.IIA from 111 Sq in September 1940. 

If you really must have a Mk,.I, now,  Fly do a very decent though a little tricky Mk.I 

It's not beyond the realms of do-able to back date this either. 

and maybe.... if there is enough demand, Revell may do a Mk.I....   or maybe Kotare will do one to go with the Spitfire Mk.I .?

11 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

You really want a BoB Hurricane out of this ? Make it this a Mk.IIA from 111 Sq in September 1940.

that's my plan, then I think I might do as many colour schemes as possible to add to my collection of varied colour scheme spits. 

Y'know, 

Not only did @quang create the best thread title ever (:clap2:) but this thread demonstrates how much all of the contributors here want a good Hurricane in their collection! We may represent just a small slice of Revell's sales but it is wonderful to see just how much having a state-of-the-art Hurricane matters. 

It is great to see this Revell offering and to Troy's point above, you never know: Maybe Revell or even Kotare may yet do a MkI. These are good times to be a modeller indeed. 

Best regards,

Paul

48 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

Y'know, 

Not only did @quang create the best thread title ever (:clap2:) but this thread demonstrates how much all of the contributors here want a good Hurricane in their collection! We may represent just a small slice of Revell's sales but it is wonderful to see just how much having a state-of-the-art Hurricane matters. 

It is great to see this Revell offering and to Troy's point above, you never know: Maybe Revell or even Kotare may yet do a MkI. These are good times to be a modeller indeed. 

Best regards,

Paul

Yes, a very good thread and happy that the dihedral is right where it's supposed to be. I thought the hobby was dying? Like hell it is!

I just got done reviewing the test build on Hyperscale. I believe this is the best one Revell has ever put out and this is saying something as they've done some jewels! I'm in for 3 now. Please stop or I'll be broke before long . Yes it has the correct amount of wing guns so no worries there , interior just needs belts from what I can see. I had my doubts at first but not anymore!

19 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

Interesting that the price is higher than their Mk IIa or Mk IX Spitfires. What could be the reasoning behind that? Could there be a much higher parts count in the box? 

That's because Radu charges more for his design services! At least he should, his stuff is excellent.

6 hours ago, Archimedes said:

... it is wonderful to see just how much having a state-of-the-art Hurricane matters.

Kind of a surprised to me too Paul. One of my top 10 faves, I have abuncha 1/32 Hurricane kits,

2 old Revell , 2 Fly MkIIs, 1 MkI, 3 PCM metal wings and now Revell comes out with a new one

with hopefully more to come  :thumbsup:.

I'm currently finishing up one of my PCM Hurricanes, started a few years ago but shelved until I

finished the 109D and Mc200 which had been shelved for years too. Looking forward to this new

Revell kit as it looks like there won't be much extra elbow grease required like there is with the PCM :rolleyes: :speak_cool:.

... Thanks for signin' up Troy  :hi:

Edited by MikeMaben

On 11/19/2022 at 7:06 AM, MikeMaben said:

First, it's difficult to believe that a kit with obvious details included that they wouldn't have gotten the dihedral right.

The radiator, knuckled tailwheel fork, spinner, blades, fishtail exhausts, carb intake looks a little flat. This dihedral issue

doesn't make sense as the final product.

YkhfqsI.jpg

The 3.5 degree dihedral is on the top of the wing.

The bottom dihedral is obviously much more due

to the taper. The recent Revell P-51s and 262s have

wing spars as part of the landing gear bay so it's

logical they would have one here too.

The dihedral on the top of the wing is actually 0.85 degrees. The "level" difference between the highest points of the outer and middle sections of the wing is 0.53 mm (or 0.02086614 inches) in scale 1/32. Because of the wing geometry, the wing angles change depending on the viewing direction. 

HTH 

Radu 

AL9nZEU2beCFk3WGM6TT23jQG5Dur0zq_YuLQ67F

Thanks Radu, I was quoting the most oft sited dimensions on the net.

Obviously don't have the resources you do. I don't think most modelers

really care, just trying to clarify the difference between the upper and

lower surfaces.  Using the drawing above I get 4.42 degrees for the

surface of the bottom of the wing (measuring from the flat bottom of the

mid section).  ???

Edited by MikeMaben