THE EYE OF THE STORM! Revell Hurricane

quang

The HyperScale picture looks good.  Makes you wonder why Revell displayed such careless promotional pictures.  I look forward to seeing a W I P here.

Let's hope they release a few more versions, especially in tropicalised form.  Lots of marking options for those.

Cheers,

Michael

May I second Quang’s welcome to Troy, there ain’t much ‘bout Hurricanes that he don’t know! And how good is it to see a completed kit, it looks pretty damned good and clears up all the controversy following those less than successful Revell pictures. 

Brian Fawcett might get some trade for people wanting to model different variants, Brian’s upgrades are for the original Revell kit but may apply in some respects with the latest….the Watts prop for instance for a Mk 1 and earlier nose? I don’t know enough about Hurricanes to be able to comment with any degree of  authority, but I do have two sets of his nose and dog kennel corrections for planned PCM models. 

Edited by mozart

Thanks for sharing the link Kev. Those images of the built model should help put any concerns over dihedral, number of guns or cockpit fidelity to bed. It really does look good. Well done Radu and Revell.

It occurs to me that I’ve never built a Hurricane in any scale:blink: 

Perhaps this could be the one:hmmm:

Interesting that the price is higher than their Mk IIa or Mk IX Spitfires. What could be the reasoning behind that? Could there be a much higher parts count in the box? 

I look forward to seeing some being me being built on here. 

Cheers.

9 hours ago, Pup7309 said:

Well I’m glad the Dihedral-gate is case closed. I’d like to do a Tropicalised version. If they don’t bring one out I’m sure the aftermarket boys will be quote all over it

:thumbsup:

It has the tropical vents already

the two vertical lines below the pilots foot.  After that it's just the tropical filter

terryprendergasthurricaneburma.jpg

9 hours ago, Bill M. said:

I’m wondering if Revell will follow with other Hurricane versions? A Mk. IIc tropicalised would be most welcome!

Bill M.

A IIC would be a very good idea.  the IIB and IIC cover the vasy majority of Hurricane airframes,  and the C wing leads onto the D and IV

Without seeing the sprue shots, I don't what else is fairly easy to do.  The best stab so far at multiple versions was the Hasegawa 1/48th family. 

The C wing was the basis for the D and IV wing as well,  note, the Fly IID kit has nearly all the bits for a IV and V in the box, rocket plates, rockets, 4 blade prop, drop tanks, armoured radiator, the D kit only uses the 40 mm guns out of all this,  though some late IID's did have the armoured radiator

see

22602_1_fly32015_2.jpg

It has already been asked about making a Mk.I, see link below.    

5 hours ago, mozart said:

May I second Quang’s welcome to Troy, there ain’t much ‘bout Hurricanes that he don’t know! And how good is it to see a completed kit, it looks pretty damned good and clears up all the controversy following those less than successful Revell pictures. 

Brian Fawcett might get some trade for people wanting to model different variants, Brian’s upgrades are for the original Revell kit but may apply in some respects with the latest….the Watts prop for instance for a Mk 1 and earlier nose? I don’t know enough about Hurricanes to be able to comment with any degree of  authority, but I do have two sets of his nose and dog kennel corrections for planned PCM models. 

As the link below will show, I hope, doing early Hurricanes is tricky.   

Only the very first planes had the two blade prop, and to do one of those accurately would be a lot of work.   The nature of the Hurricane airframe is while main structure was the same for all marks, their are external changes which can be tricky. 

In particular the Mk.I is very tricky in the early stages, and has feature, that are minor from a real world engineering point of view, but can be a lot of work from the view of tooling up plastic kits, like the 2nd fabric access hatch and the different windscreens.

4 hours ago, Andreas Beck said:

no work, just patience (but I do not know how much of this)

Quite a lot.  This has already been asked, and I posted this

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/95087-the-eye-of-the-storm-revell-hurricane/page/10/#elControls_1376399_menu

which has detail of making a Mk.I into a Mk.II,  it's likely to be easier to do a Mk.II to Mk.I  as you are removing, rather than adding sections.

Until sprue shots are available, it would be hard to say, but if the wing is set up for the Mk.II length under the nose,  and a Mk.II fuselage, then that's a lot of new big bits for Revell to tool up.

The sensible option is a IIC,  as with a B and C wing, making an A, D and IV wing is fairly easy,  just removing/adding some panels lines.

As I note above, the Fly IID kit has a tree of parts which would be very useful

This is a common Fly sprue, it has both  the Mk.I and Mk.II carb intakes, as well as the tropical filter

22602_1_fly32015_5.jpg

Leftover Fly parts would help, as they have multiple options, so part out there is spare box land. 

Ah, this is the sprue tree from the Fly Mk.I, which has the Mk.I centre section, and Mk.I radiator and tropical filter

17330_1_fly32017_5.jpg

What are easy conversion from this new tool revell kit are the Canadian Mk.XII, just needs a new prop/spinner and radiator intake, and the VVS modifications, as nearly every VVS Hurricane photo I have seen is a IIB or IIA,  these thing are what you have aftermarket for... 

I hope this makes sense?   Hurricane are "simple simple simple COMPLEX" , and it's the last one that catches people out...   

They are also very poorly served in reference as to these external details, I don't know of any publication that has all these details in one place.....  

HTH

2 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Perhaps worth a thread of it's own.

HTH

I think it might be pertinent that I split all the Hurricane info into its own thread in Aviation Discussion, and pare this one back to only those posts related to the new Revell kit.

Kev