Trumpeter 1/32 P-47D Razorback "Eileen"

Thunnus

Here's an example of some residual salt that has shown up as frost.  This is removed with damp cloth.
IMG-4359.jpg

A small modification made to the tail plane thanks to the info posted by Thomaz.  The small plastic knob was cut off and replaced with a tab made of brass sheet.
IMG-4354.jpg
IMG-4360.jpg

The louver doors for the intercooler have been glued into place.
IMG-4363.jpg

IMG-4364.jpg

The painted drop tank.
IMG-4365.jpg

IMG-4366.jpg

The drop tank was mounted into place and the fuel lines were added.  Not completely happy with the alignment of the aft line so I may re-do it.
IMG-4368.jpg

IMG-4367.jpg

Bomb racks have been painted.
IMG-4371.jpg

The tail wheel assembly minus the wheel is glued into place.  The rear landing gear doors are also attached.
IMG-4362.jpg

Getting ready to put Eileen on her own legs so I've glued the landing gear covers unto the landing gear struts.
IMG-4370.jpg

IMG-4369.jpg

Yahoo!  You are well into the back stretch.  Careful with that LG rake (12 deg from vertical (vertical being a fuselage station).  A good check is to see if the bottom edge of the lower gear door is parallel to the ground (it is supposed to be).  Also the "bow-legged stance" (upper strut is 3 deg bowed outboard).  Gotta be just right!  Back on page 12 of this thread I provided alot of info on main LG orientation.  Along with this picture:

mIwzEeoh.jpg

Cannot wait to see her on her legs with her shoes on.

Edited by JayW

Thank you Gaz and Jay!

Nervous now, as I'm going to remove the masks from the windscreen.  I CAREFULLY pick a corner up with the tip of an x-acto blade and remove each mask slowly.
IMG-4372.jpg

IMG-4373.jpg

Whew... windscreen looks ok!
IMG-4374.jpg

Let's take a look at the cockpit from the outside.
IMG-4381.jpg

IMG-4375.jpg

IMG-4376.jpg

IMG-4382.jpg

IMG-4379.jpg

IMG-4378.jpg

IMG-4377.jpg

There is a lot of light residue in the panel lines and rivets from the Micromeshing of the salt fading.  I'll carefully scrub these areas with a damp brush and, if necessary, re-darken the recessed details with a wash.

Thanks guys!  Last update for today... getting ready to glue the landing gear legs into place.  Based on the tight fit of the pegs into the mounting holes and end of the landing gear cover shimming tightly into a slot at the skinny end of the wheel well, there is hardly any wriggle room.  So I get what I get and hopefully it'll be symmetric and close to acceptable.
IMG-4383.jpg
IMG-4384.jpg

I made up a new aft fuel line... I think it looks better.  If you recall, I fabricated the fuel lines using a curved piece of stretched clear sprue for the glass elbows, short sections of brass tubing and copper wiring.  The silver bands are thin strips of aluminum tape.
IMG-4386.jpg

Masks for the lights have been removed.
IMG-4387.jpg

IMG-4388.jpg

The light on top of the fuselage spine was formed with clear UV-activated epoxy.  Surface tension creates a natural spherical shape.  While the epoxy was still in its liquid state, I tilted the fuselage forward to create the tear-drop effect and locked it into place by shining a UV light on it.
IMG-4389.jpg

Beautiful.  A couple of comments from your PITA follower:

1.  That little slot behind the canopy is for the VHF spike antenna.  Have we seen that detail yet?  The slot looks awfully small.

2.  LG - I do not trust that Trumpeter oriented the gear slot to give a perfect gear orientation.  Neither the 12 deg rake angle nor the 3 deg splay angle.  They just aren't that good.  Even Tamiya got the 1/32 P-51 rake angle wrong by a few deg, one of the reasons I didn't keep mine when I made it.  If those angles are right, then I would be pleasantly surprised.  Is there a way to eyeball that orientation in its current state and see if it's close?  If you can and it is wrong, there has to be a way to fix it especially with your demonstrated talents for correcting disasters.  Maybe it's just me, but LG orientation is one of the more important aspects of a model WRT convincing realism IMO.  If it's off, immediately the model doesn't look real anymore to my eye.  FW190 and P-38 are good examples - it's gotta be right.  

3.  Are you going to dirty up the interior trailing edge cove in front of the flaps?  Get it about as weathered as the gear bay and I'd be happy with it.  It's going to show with flaps deployed. 

Edited by JayW

Thanks for the comments guys!

Checking the landing gear alignment.  Like I said, it's plug and chug sort of deal and it looks ok to me but if you measure things in angles, it may not be 100% accurate.  
IMG-4391.jpg

IMG-4390.jpg

Although I've not yet glued the landing gear legs into place, the inner landing gear doors are fitted at this time.
IMG-4393.jpg

The small slot on the fuselage spine accommodates the antenna mast, which will be one of the last things I glue into place.
IMG-4394.jpg

I've also fabricated a bead sight from brass tubing and will be glued later on as well.
IMG-4395.jpg

The interior of the flap openings will be weathered a bit, starting with some chipping using a sponge.
IMG-4401.jpg

The brass gun blast tubes are pushed into place. They are a tight friction fit and don't need any glue to keep them in place.
IMG-4402.jpg

IMG-4403.jpg

The masks from the sliding canopy are removed.
IMG-4406.jpg

I have the option of placing the canopy in the open or closed position.
IMG-4407.jpg

IMG-4409.jpg

Ok... after a deep breath, I went ahead and glued the landing gear legs into place.
IMG-4405.jpg

Once the glue is dry, I'll mount the wheels and she'll be on her feet.  Finish line is definitely in sight.
IMG-4411.jpg