Trumpeter 1/32 P-47D Razorback "Eileen"

Thunnus

Fantastic progress John, really enjoying your build! 

have you checked how the windshield fits? I had some problem with mine leaving a gap but was fixed with a temporary toothpick in position  while gluing, also wanted to point out about the  panel line that reaches the cowling seems to be missing, keep the superb work, cheers

Whats-App-Image-2021-09-10-at-22-53-36.j

Screenshot-5367.png

Edited by Antonio Argudo

Thanks guys!  Appreciate the comments, as always!  Sometimes it takes some comments to kick my motivation into gear.

8 hours ago, D.B. Andrus said:

John

Exemplary work.

How do you get such outstanding photos using an S100? Do you have secrets to share? :)

Cheers,

Damian

Thanks Damian!  It's actually a Canon S120.  Since posting here at LSP, I've migrated from and S100 to an S110 to my current S120... all bought used on EBay.  I shoot in RAW format and process all of my photos individually in Lightroom.  I'm a hobbyist photographer and am used to using Lightroom with my DSLR.  Adequate lighting is probably the most important factor in getting decent in-progress shots.  My ageing eyes need plenty of light anyways so setting up a work station with adequate lighting was a must for me.  My humble model room (converted garage) has fluorescent ceiling lighting and my desk has two articulated lamps.  Another factor in getting good shots is having a clean work surface.  It helps to reduce the background clutter as much as possible so that the camera doesn't inadvertently focus on the background instead of the subject.  I cover my work surface with white plotter paper.  As an engineer, I always have access to old plans and so I just bring home some recycled sheets, flip them over and tape them to a poster board to serve as my table top.  When the white paper gets too much paint stains, I rip it off and put on a new one.

6 hours ago, Antonio Argudo said:

Fantastic progress John, really enjoying your build! 

have you checked how the windshield fits? I had some problem with mine leaving a gap but was fixed with a temporary toothpick in position  while gluing, also wanted to point out about the  panel line that reaches the cowling seems to be missing, keep the superb work, cheers

Thank you Antonio!  I can always count on you to notice the small details and provide excellent reference photos to illustrate the point.  Prior to masking the clear parts, I checked the fit and found that both the windscreen and canopy were a bit too narrow for the fuselage opening and used hot water to gently widen them.  I think they are ok but I'll have to check again.  The panel line has been added!

2 hours ago, JayW said:

Moving right along John.  And, I already know that your repair work is as good as any I have seen.  looking very very nice.  Hey - I would dirty up that tail gear..... 

Thanks Jay!  Cleaning up the gun insert is going to be a pain because of the weakness of that joint.  At least it is on the bottom and won't be AS visible as if it were on the top of the wing.  And yes, the tail gear and doors will be weathered a bit before all is said and done.

As far as weathering goes, I am going on a different tack than my previous builds.  This particular photo of Eileen struck me as very interesting...

media-29553.jpg

I don't see much paint chipping at all.  Some wear at the wing root by the pilot's feet and a little bit on the cockpit sill but not anything that would be replicated accurately with hairspray chipping.  So I think I'm going to try and impart paint wear in a different way and not use hairspray.

Brilliant work John!  The landing gear is excellent and the wheel wells are real works of art.  I hear you on fixing wing to fuselage and other joins.  Correcting issues with wing to fuselage joins is probably my least favorite modelling activity.

Ernest 

16 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Thank you Antonio!  I can always count on you to notice the small details and provide excellent reference photos to illustrate the point

no problem John,  my honor to help!  I noticed a little touch up needed, the space for the rearview should be filled since "Eileen" reference shows it did not had them installed, easy fix ;) cheers  

Screenshot-5368.png

Thank you guys for the positive comments! Antonio... the small recesses near the windscreen have been filled!

The interiors of the landing gear covers have been painted in Zinc Chromate Yellow.  I'm making a conscious choice to restrict my heavy chipping to the non-exterior surfaces since it appears that the exterior surfaces of Eileen and other 78th FG Thunderbolts were maintained very well.
IMG-4006.jpg

I've touched up the Neutral Grey on the exteriors by spraying them with the AK Real Colors version, which was lighter than the Mr Hobby Aqueous Neutral Grey that I used as a base.
IMG-4005.jpg

Here are the landing gear covers with the legs and wheels together.
IMG-4007.jpg

Base coats for the drop tank (Dark Aluminum) and prop (Gloss Black) have been sprayed.
IMG-4002.jpg

IMG-4003.jpg

The repairs on the gun inserts is almost done and I'll be able start spraying the exterior colors soon!
IMG-4004.jpg

Fantastic wheel wells and landing gear paint, looks superb, keep the amazing updates John!;)

I noticed that "Eileen" windshield  had what looks a ventilation  or inlet window on the side, I think it can be easily  replicated with masking and giving a  few coats of Mr. surfacer or a thin styrene piece also could work, cheers

Screenshot-5370.png

CBCCR3.jpg

Screenshot-5373.png

Edited by Antonio Argudo