Trumpeter 1/32 P-47D Razorback "Eileen"

Thunnus

Thanks guys!  Appreciate the sympathetic comments!

21 hours ago, JayW said:

Well John - I have seen your repairs before and they turn out perfect.  I suppose this will too.  But as many builds as you have done what do you think happened here?  What's different?

One thing that's different on this one versus my past few is that I didn't rivet this one.  When I rivet, the entire surface gets sanded and I think that creates a better bond between the paint and plastic.  The paint lift occurred in areas where the plastic was not sanded.  I probably won't incorporate primer on builds where I've sanded the surface but I'll have to consider it for these types of situations.

After removing as much of the weak spots as I could with sticky tape, I sanded the area with 600# sandpaper first and then 1000# sandpaper to feather the edges of the paint down to the plastic and hopefully not leave any hard edges.
IMG-4102.jpg

IMG-4103.jpg

The general area was then sprayed with Mr Surfacer 1000 thinned with Mr Leveling Thinner. No sign of raised edges so the paint repair should be fairly seamless.
IMG-4104.jpg

IMG-4105.jpg

Most of this area will be covered with high contrast markings so I decided to skip the marble pre-shade and just half-heartedly trace some panel lines with black.  In parallel with the fuselage repair work, I re-did the upper wing stars and bars.
IMG-4106.jpg

The Olive Drab was then restored.  The Real Color OD 81 was sprayed first and then a slightly lightened version was sprayed over that.  So here's where we are at now...
IMG-4109.jpg

IMG-4110.jpg

IMG-4111.jpg

IMG-4112.jpg

I've also started to weather the fuselage sides and wing root area by gently Micromeshing the OD paint to reveal traces of the Tamiya AS-12 Silver base layer.
IMG-4114.jpg

A closer look a the completed stars and bars on the wing.
IMG-4113.jpg

The big test will be the masking to come... stars and bars and bottom invasion stripes yet to come on the fuselage and then the stripes and numerical code on the tail.  Stay tuned!

Thanks guys!  I'm getting accustomed to fixing my own boo-boos but I should work on NOT making those mistakes in the first place!  I think the key here was using 600# sandpaper... you need some "bite" when addressing the ragged paint edges.

Time to test the new paint finish and paint the stars and bars again. First the blue.
IMG-4116.jpg

IMG-4117.jpg

And then the white.
IMG-4119.jpg

IMG-4118.jpg

Moment of truth... pulling off the masks!
IMG-4121.jpg

IMG-4120.jpg

Masking is not done yet but zero paint lift so far gives me confidence in getting the rest of the markings on.  Fingers crossed!

3 hours ago, Madmax said:

Wow! Watching this build unfold is a bit like watching Tiger hit a massive drive, just to have it land a bunker, but then strolling confidently into the sand and splashing the ball onto the green... and roll into the hole. 

For eagle.  That is a very appropriate analogy!  

Beautiful jug there, John.  I haven’t been following closely as I’m neck deep in a zero build of my own but your work always incites me to up my game…. I’m glad I’m not the only  person who experiences paint lift after pulling the masks away…frustrating as it is, you’ve managed to elude the “bullseye” effect on the repair.  Very well done!