Trumpeter 1/32 P-47D Razorback "Eileen"

Thunnus

20 minutes ago, John Stambaugh said:

Am really looking forward to this build. Must say that although happy with my rendition of this model, it will no doubt compare as sophomoric to what we will see here. 

Yes, my anticipated RFI post for my own T Bolt has become less hopeful.

Thanks guys!  Most of the stuff that I'm doing here has been learned/copied/imitated from what I've gleaned looking at other builds (including yours Bill!).  If, in turn, my build helps others then I'm happy to have contributed to this endless cycle of learning.

A bit of detail work on my day off... the reflector glass is actually supposed to be oval in shape but I can't cut an oval that small so it's going to be circular instead.
IMG-3545.jpg

Here is what the gun sight looks like in place and covered with a coat of primer (Mr Primer Surfacer 1000). I added a couple of wires coming out of the mounting bracket.
IMG-3553.jpg

IMG-3554.jpg

I added some detail to the otherwise plain sides of the Bendix-Scintilla magneto.
IMG-3551.jpg

Here is a look at the Eduard photoetch instrument panel. On full display is the noticeable texture of the painted surface... it's quite distracting, in my opinion.
IMG-3546.jpg

Each instrument has what appears to be a drop of clear gloss to simulate glass although ideally it should be a flat level surface, not curved.
IMG-3547.jpg

Trying out a new clear flat finish...
IMG-3548.jpg

The front panel was sprayed with the clear flat and this dramatically diminishes the texture effect.  The two instruments hanging off the bottom of the backing panel were also sprayed with the clear flat and you can see the difference that the flat coat makes. I ALWAYS spray my Eduard pre-painted parts with a flat coat!
IMG-3549.jpg

The assembled Eduard instrument panel looks pretty good but we'll have to compare it to the Yahu panel, which is enroute.
IMG-3550.jpg

2 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Nice stuff John.  Yeah , Yahu wins every time.

The Eduard sets are printed with UV inks and the texture is simply the nature of the beast. Think of the very first ink jet technology. Perhaps the technology will improve over time, but who knows?

Yahu, on the other hand, appear to be printed on a traditional printing press similar to what is used to print magazines and therefore their products are not only smooth but can produce much finer detail. 

Thanks guys! I'll do a side-by-side comparison between the Eduard and Yahu panels when Yahu arrives.

14 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

The Eduard one certainly looks better after the flat coat, but is there some sort of drop-shadow on each gauge?

I'm enjoying your build so far John, they're always so informative 

Matt 

Thanks Matt. No drop shadow.... it looks like an error in the registration of the color print.  I think there is supposed to be a uniform light grey bezel around each instrument but the pitch went low and away.

4 hours ago, wairco said:

Beautiful work !! I must say that I learned a lot of how you do things especially in the meticulous treatment of small parts. Thank you for sharing all your techniques!

Thank you!  I use magnifiers when working and using those really helped refine my technique.  I find that if I can make it look ok under extreme magnification, it's going to look good to the naked eye.  Good photographs accomplish the same thing and I often notice little errors by reviewing my work photographically.

Frustrated at the delay of couple of shipments including the Yahu panel.  There are a multitude of other things that I can proceed with without working on the cockpit so I found one of those today.  I noticed that this port was not molded completely.
IMG-3565.jpg

The shape was kind of weird too, as the horizontal lines followed the curvature of the forward fuselage.  I don't have any parallelogram templates so the new one will have to be square.  First, I fill in the old panel lines with black CA glue.
IMG-3566.jpg

Shot with some CA activator, it is ready to sand.
IMG-3567.jpg

The template of the panel is placed on the model and secured in place with tape.  For me, this is the most important step.  I learned from experience that holding the template with just your fingers is a recipe for a shoddy scribing job.
IMG-3568.jpg

Using a sewing needle chucked into a pin vise, I scribe the new panel.  Lightly at first and then with a little more pressure as the groove deepens.  I'm going through both plastic and the harder CA glue so it is important to keep constant pressure on the needle as it goes around the template. If the needle gets caught on something, don't force it through.  Instead, trace around in the opposite direction to see if you can get through that spot smoothly.  The horizontal line that you see within the new panel is a pencil guide mark that I used to guide re-placement of the template after the first attempt.
IMG-3569.jpg

Once you are able to make complete circuits around the panel in both directions, the template can be removed.  The new panel is cleaned up by tracing the panel with needle, giving it a light sanding and using a stiff paint brush to remove the sanding burrs and dust.  Lightly running Tamiya Extra Thin cement into the panel lines can also help to smooth them out.
IMG-3570.jpg

With all of the visual interference from the old panel lines, it's hard to see what I've done so I spray a light coat of primer to check my work.
IMG-3571.jpg

After the primer is dry, I can replace the circular fasteners with a beading tool.
IMG-3572.jpg