Trumpeter 1/32 P-47D Razorback "Eileen"

Thunnus

1 hour ago, Gazzas said:

It can be painted.  But every time the vinyl flexes, you will lose paint.

Thanks Gaz!  Because the tail wheel is so small, I don't think it will flex much so maybe I'll be ok.

As Matt pointed out, the wheel hubs are not close enough to the landing gear legs.  There is a recess in the Trumpeter wheel part that is absent on the Barracuda part so I need to make an adjustment.
IMG-3442.jpg

I did some trimming and prepared another set of axle inserts.
IMG-3444.jpg

IMG-3446.jpg

Here are the corrected landing gear legs.
IMG-3447.jpg

With the wheels in place...
IMG-3448.jpg

IMG-3449.jpg

Edited by Thunnus

Great fix John!  The wheels and legs look better now. Looking forward to what comes next. It looks like if you want to replace the tail wheel, you've got the option of Eduard, Master Details, or True Details. They're the only sets that include a tail wheel

Matt 

Edited by scvrobeson

Thanks guys!

8 hours ago, Antonio Argudo said:

John, the Yahu IP you need for the razorback is the early type, the one you posted in that picture is the late one in bubbletops

Thanks Antonio!  As you can tell, I'm not able to differentiate between the early and late instrument panels.  The photo was of someone else's build to illustrate the great resolution of the Yahu panel.  When I ordered mine, I made sure that it was the EARLY version.

2 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Great fix John!  The wheels and legs look better now. Looking forward to what comes next. It looks like if you want to replace the tail wheel, you've got the option of Eduard, Master Details, or True Details. They're the only sets that include a tail wheel

Matt 

Thanks for the sharp eye, Matt! I'll probably stick with the vinyl tire since I already have resin replacements for the main wheels.

I decided to work on the upper wings next and see what it would take to close the gun/ammo panels. I'm guessing that these panels were designed to be posed open to showcase the machine guns and ammo belts because the fit in the closed position isn't great.
IMG-3450.jpg

The edges around the panels are very thin, which is good if you are posing them open, but the raised lip around the edges of each panel opening are deeper than the panels, causing them to drop below the surface of the wing when fully pressed into place.
IMG-3451.jpg

IMG-3452.jpg

There are different ways to address this issue... I decided to ring the openings with stretched sprue, effectively reducing the depth and bringing up the panels to the same level as the rest of the wing surface.  It took a few tries using different sizes of stretched sprue.
IMG-3453.jpg

IMG-3456.jpg

I also added a shim to the free floating connection between the two panels to give that joint more strength.  The last thing I want is to have a joint crack during painting because of a weak glue connection.
IMG-3457.jpg

I'll let this sit and dry before I permanently weld the panels in place using Tamiya Extra Thin cement.
IMG-3458.jpg

There are still some gaps but that's ok as long as the panels are level with the wing surface.
IMG-3459.jpg

I'm more of a lurker on this forum but I just wanted to give you a little heads up: I finished this kit about a month or two ago and the gear legs are just barely strong enough to support the finished model - they're flimsy at best. I really recommend reinforcing the legs somehow or maybe getting metal replacements because the finished model is quite heavy. And attaching the gear legs into their sockets was the only real problem I encountered when building the kit.

(Here's my build thread over on Britmodeller: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235111572-132-trumpeter-p-47d-as-p-47d-1-42-7924-flown-by-frank-d-gallion-lost-november-3rd-1943-decals-on/)

2 hours ago, Elger said:

I'm more of a lurker on this forum but I just wanted to give you a little heads up: I finished this kit about a month or two ago and the gear legs are just barely strong enough to support the finished model - they're flimsy at best. I really recommend reinforcing the legs somehow or maybe getting metal replacements because the finished model is quite heavy. And attaching the gear legs into their sockets was the only real problem I encountered when building the kit.

(Here's my build thread over on Britmodeller: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235111572-132-trumpeter-p-47d-as-p-47d-1-42-7924-flown-by-frank-d-gallion-lost-november-3rd-1943-decals-on/)

Damian of Synthetic Ordnance Works makes a set.

The gear legs on the Trumpeter P-47's are a very snug fit. If one doesn't push them in with gusto the legs will flop around. Don't paint the mounting lugs or you'll have problems. I usually mention it when sending out the L/G sets, but not always.  My bad.

HTH,

Damian

11 hours ago, Elger said:

Thank you Elger, for the heads up and the build log as well.  Nice to add another Trumpeter Razorback build to the reference list.  Interesting to see that you had some of the same ideas as I, such as using the Yahu panel, tubes to line up the wing guns and adding Anyz switches to the cockpit!  Great minds must think alike! ;)

As it stands right now, I don't have any options for the gear legs. Do you recall which area of the leg was weak?  The mounting pegs? If so, I could probably drill and insert a brass tube a short length from the top of the pegs down into the leg.  There might also be an opportunity to use the landing gear doors to strengthen the gear legs and connection between the landing gear and wings.

9 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

Damian of Synthetic Ordnance Works makes a set.

1 minute ago, D.B. Andrus said:

The gear legs on the Trumpeter P-47's are a very snug fit. If one doesn't push them in with gusto the legs will flop around. Don't paint the mounting lugs or you'll have problems. I usually mention it when sending out the L/G sets, but not always.  My bad.

HTH,

Damian

I'm looking at the SOW site and it shows the Trumpeter P-47D as out of stock.  I'm guessing that Damian has finished his production run of these legs.  I'll have to make do with the kit parts.

1 hour ago, Thunnus said:

As it stands right now, I don't have any options for the gear legs. Do you recall which area of the leg was weak?  The mounting pegs? If so, I could probably drill and insert a brass tube a short length from the top of the pegs down into the leg.  There might also be an opportunity to use the landing gear doors to strengthen the gear legs and connection between the landing gear and wings.

Well I had some trouble with the mounting pegs, in hindsight I should perhaps have used some epoxy glue when attaching the legs into their sockets; that may have avoided some trouble, but the whole leg unit feels flimsy, it feels that that the legs will bend eventually under the weight of the model with the angle of the gear. The doors provide some additional support but not much.