Minicraft 1/48 Beechcraft Bonanza

chrish

I was going to title this as F-33 just to get views...

While awaiting decals for the long legged Connie I have endeavored to start another small scale civil aircraft (a friend owns so, I'm trying to do his) This is the Minicraft Beechcraft F-33 Bonanza. It has range extenders so I thought I'd start there just to see if I could come up with something close. Mine are repurposed Napalm or bomb bodies with the center section removed and profiled.

The bottom one is what I'm after, the top is in progress and the tube with the 2 holes is the removed centre section

nQqvLnl.jpg

test fitting (A lot of this)

sPCZL5z.jpg

I made a sheet of .010" to blank out the ejector pins in the gear bays;

rdIyhp1.jpg

Installed;

9xSexNX.jpg

9Uc3TQ3.jpg?1

the tail has a shorter fairing and no vent in the side so, some butchery

cqRczLB.jpg?1

wSCwNSc.jpg

More to follow

Thanks for stopping by

Still moving along...

Testing early shows the model needs significant weight to sit on it's wheels. I've tried getting creative with lead sheet and blocks squeezed in wherever I could get them.

Here I've stuck some weights in front of the gear bays and have begun making mufflers from lead rod to replace the kit plastic ones;

xu7JNpt.jpg

Another chunk in front of the seats, below the cabin floor

5DVyrjy.jpg

My friends machine doesn't have the small access window.

UkuGFOO.jpg

Removed and test fitting windows, another piece of lead can be seen as the front cabin floor;

gbGGloi.jpg

windows fit is...not great

qxJTKA8.jpg

I'll get back to the windows...

Back to work in the office right now, my friends machine has dual controls, this is the kit part;

0Yh0zfB.jpg

some plastic bits glued together to add another yoke;

vSRNMD2.jpg

and with a splash of paint and some Airscale decals;

j1Pz1SF.jpg

I've added a grille to the air intake

k1cTj3K.jpg

s4ifPxq.jpg

the engine and headers with lead rod for mufflers

a4YUMS7.jpg

DxjBMyo.jpg

Aaannd that's what happens when it's dark, cold and snowy in south central Saskatchewan...time well wasted in the hobby room

Thanks for looking

Bonanzas are wonderful airplanes.  Beech hit a home run with both the V-tails and the standard tailed airplanes.  Your model is true to form:  some, especially the early V-tails, tend to be tail heavy to the point that owners would add ballast up around the firewall to keep the CG from going aft of the limit with a full load.  They are very pretty and well built airplanes found all over the world.  With the various versions extant and the practically unlimited marking options, the AM market for a large scale Bonanza would be a cottage industry all its own.

12 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Bonanzas are wonderful airplanes.  Beech hit a home run with both the V-tails and the standard tailed airplanes.  Your model is true to form:  some, especially the early V-tails, tend to be tail heavy to the point that owners would add ballast up around the firewall to keep the CG from going aft of the limit with a full load.  They are very pretty and well built airplanes found all over the world.  With the various versions extant and the practically unlimited marking options, the AM market for a large scale Bonanza would be a cottage industry all its own.

I'd love to have a 1/32 new tool Bonanza...or Cessna 310 II ...401 402 Well...I ok then I woke up. 

A bit more progress, I've added a bit of detail to the main gear;

V1wQpuL.jpg

Looking at other builders posts of the kit (glad I did) the builders indicate the main gear cannot be installed as per the instructions after the upper and lower wing halves are joined, not happy about it but the main gear has been installed to the upper wing halves (placards are from Airscale)

r8isQXm.jpg?1

mdShQxh.jpg?1

The nose gear assembly, I added a bit of detail then went a little off track...

BCzdrF7.jpg?1

yxEL5iy.jpg

My own attempt at a nose gear, the kit wheel and the retract bar are the only components being re-used

nKnMfnV.jpg

QzawXhn.jpg

Work continues

Thanks for looking

My pedestrian little piston pounder is still moving along. It took some serious concentration on my part but, I made my own windows to replace the very thick poorly fitting kit parts. In all honesty they could be better but I'm going with these. I made five of the rear trapezoidal windows before I was happy with fit on one side, one of my cast-offs fit the other side perfectly so I think the casting may not quite be perfectly symmetrical.

The work in progress;

yeHDOeO.jpg?1

Seating for four, I noticed the owner had tucked his shoulder harness into the pouches on the seat back, lead foil in use for belting

IosReJS.jpg?1

P5h9pl7.jpg?1

.005" clear sheet cut to shape, glued in and "Futured" with a hint of Tamiya clear green

mGJVEmi.jpg?1

all the interior components ready for install (done now and, fuselage joined at the time of posting these images)

The long skinny strip is the roof console with vents and speakers.

i5VoztS.jpg

Thanks for looking

Edited by chrish
typo