1/32 SR-71 Blackbird

Derek B

8 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

At that size I might tend to agree!   You can nearly get stabbed by ours at the SAC museum down the road from me 10 min or so...

blackbird-nose-2048x1823.jpg

That's an impressive display! Walking in and being greeted by the pointy end of an SR71 is a pretty unique sight :o

Also, bring on a 1/32 blackbird!!

1 minute ago, RadBaron said:

That's an impressive display! Walking in and being greeted by the pointy end of an SR71 is a pretty unique sight :o

It is right up front on the rampway in, the very first thing you see when you come in! (with the exception of plethora of 1:1 rockets out front in the parking lot

I don't want to hijack this thread so this will be the last I add.

If you want to see what it was like to be there for a launch, this is the closest to what it was really like. It's all here except for the smell. At the 2:30 mark you can hear the start cart. This is in one of the hangers at Kadena. We were flying recon over Vietnam when I was there. This is the last flight out of Kadena, well after the war was over. Enjoy.

7 hours ago, Jeff T said:

Jeez, not too many round here could say that Woody!....I never knew  you worked on them!

Yeah, he spent many hours sticking tiny rivets on them :whistle:

Nice video, really captures the atmosphere. If I had the time/money/space/ability I would be in for one of these too. Just too much for me to tackle I think.

On 11/14/2022 at 2:46 PM, Out2gtcha said:

It is right up front on the rampway in, the very first thing you see when you come in! (with the exception of plethora of 1:1 rockets out front in the parking lot

See that big beasty at Nats during the dinner night was incredible. I had seen one before, sitting on the ground, and it doesn't look nearly as imposing behind pedestrian barriers. Being able to walk underneath it, you realized just how big these things really are. I was duly impressed.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA 

1 hour ago, Dennis7423 said:

See that big beasty at Nats during the dinner night was incredible. I had seen one before, sitting on the ground, and it doesn't look nearly as imposing behind pedestrian barriers. Being able to walk underneath it, you realized just how big these things really are. I was duly impressed. 

We watched it get put in after most of the SAC planes were moved inside from a previous display where everything was outside, just rotting. It was sad, but a truly happy day to see the SR and others get moved inside and the ravages of time slowed.  Although I think the SR may have been inside previously, cant remember. 

Me wants one, my preciouses!  (Boy, just how out-of-date is that reference, now?) 

Still, joking aside, I'll put my name down for the kit right now. 

I've seen Colonel Rich Graham (retired) give his talk at Duxford a few times. A genuinely fascinating man. I'm pretty sure he's seen some stuff during his long career that he still can't talk about, even though he says everything about the SR-71 is now declassified.

Cheers. 

Chris.  

PS: Can an aftermarket someone start working on a 3-D printed, 1/32 Buick start-cart, please? I think there is one available in 1/48th scale...

Edited by Confusionreigns178
Amending some information.

4 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

We watched it get put in after most of the SAC planes were moved inside from a previous display where everything was outside, just rotting. It was sad, but a truly happy day to see the SR and others get moved inside and the ravages of time slowed.  Although I think the SR may have been inside previously, cant remember. 

When I visited Ashland in August 1995 it was still outside, starting to look sad. Glad it got into the barn.

Magnificent jet, despite the chemicals, noise and dirt. Remember the last flight out of England, and gave the negs to Lockheed, as you do.

Tony