Loss of 2 Warbirds in Texas

Citadelgrad

2 minutes ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

DB - that is a very insensitive comment. It's possible the King Cobra pilot suffered a heart-attack, blacked out for some reason or had some other medical emergency. It is WAY too early for people to start slinging mud around.  

Chris. 

I agree, posted in anger. Apologies to all.

33 minutes ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

DB - that is a very insensitive comment. It's possible the King Cobra pilot suffered a heart-attack, blacked out for some reason or had some other medical emergency. It is WAY too early for people to start slinging mud around.  

Chris. 

I was involved in the investigation of aviation accidents in the military for over eight years, we didn’t only look at military accidents, we looked at civil accidents too. Medical related reasons for accidents are next to zero.

Most accidents are human factors, pilot error.

I know something, the system is broken if these types of preventable accident continue to happen. The system is supposed to work to prevent his.

And I’m not afraid to say it, a lot of these warbird operators have no business being in the cockpit. More money than smarts. Our Human Factors training in the military has been so successful we had to look at civilian accidents to learn anything.

Edited by ScoobyDoo

Oh no!  This is a staggering loss.  Truthfully, I’m surprised there haven’t been more midairs during these melee performances during airshows.  There are always several fast movers going every which way in the air at the same time.  I know and understand that they practice these demos a lot, but everyone flying cannot possibly know where everyone else is all the time.  As improbable as it seems, I don’t think the Cobra driver ever saw the B-17.

Just my opinion, but they need to stop flying the remaining authentic historical aircraft. They aren't replaceable, and whats preferable, seeing them fly occasionally  until they all crash and no longer exist, or being able to see them in a museum? Regardless if its pilot error or mechanical failure, when they are gone, they are gone. 80 year old aircraft flown by pilots that aren't much younger isn't a good combo.

Edited by eoyguy

Another view

After watching this, I’ve got my own theory..but I’ll keep it to myself until the report comes out..usually the simplest answer is correct, and I fear this one is tragically simple.

So sad to see this. It is horrible and tragic. The P-63 pilot was from my airline- I didn’t know him, but my phone is lighting up tonight from fellow pilots at my company..most of my friends know I’m also a warbird pilot. It is a small community.

P

This is a terrible accident.  My condolences to the families of those killed.  I'm not going to pass comment on what others have said, but I understand their reactions.  I think this will cause a massive rethink as to how these events are run, but I hope they continue.  Planes should fly, cars should be driven and boats sailed, regardless of age but provided they're capable of being used. 

Michael

Agreed Michael. Let the planes fly. Let such dreadful tragedies reduce to extinction. 

There are wiser and less wise ways to present flying displays. Less wise ways may cancel themselves out, in time, but at what cost?

I am only a saddened onlooker. Condolences.