1/32 Sea Fury from DBMK just announced at Telford

Ali62

I had a Fisher Sea Fury; it was beautiful, a real work of art and wonderful to admire and (dare I say!) fondle but bottom line was I couldn’t see myself actually building it…..I can’t quite explain why. So I sold it with a few regrets, but this kit whenever it comes out will make up for it. 

I wish DBMK well. Their release choice appeal to me and I hope they are successful. However, I have built the Fisher Sea Fury and have another in the stash, with an additional wing fold set. It is a magnificent product and in my opinion it will be hard for DBMK to exceed the quality of the Fisher kit. If I did not have a Fisher kit, I would be excited by the promised release, but there is no way I would sell a Fisher Sea Fury to buy a Sea Fury by another manufacturer.

1 hour ago, Ali62 said:

If I was you guys with the FISHER KITS, I would either build them and enjoy them OR hold on a few more months to see IF and when these other kits materialise. As we know they still have the Scimitar and the Hornet to release. I always take these big adventure announcements a little cautiously until we really start seeing more evidence that the product will be produced. I really wish these guys the very best BUT to commit 3 large subjects all with injected moulded tooling, I really do hope that they have very deep pockets or amazing funding.

I do hope that they come off as I would certainly like a SEA FURY and a HORNET, two of my all time favourites, however pricing will be another crucial point.

sound advice and full of logic

1 hour ago, npb748r said:

I'd wait until the new kit appears but I don't like taking risks !

I hear you.  The Fisher kit is quite valuable now due to its rarity.  If I wait until the new kit comes out I wonder if it will lose value due to availability of the new one.  Of course, this depends on the quality of the new kit.

On 11/15/2022 at 9:10 PM, mozart said:

I had a Fisher Sea Fury; it was beautiful, a real work of art and wonderful to admire and (dare I say!) fondle but bottom line was I couldn’t see myself actually building it…..I can’t quite explain why. So I sold it with a few regrets, but this kit whenever it comes out will make up for it. 

I do know what you mean. I build a pair years ago and they turned out really well. But the building process was pretty glacial. It lacked details (wheel bays, lights, cockpit bulkhead, interior of the cockpit framing and so on) and getting the fuselage mated to the wing was a whole other ballgame together. the fuselages were slightly warped so had to be adjusted through warm water baths and quickly securing the wing so the alignment was achieved. But all the blood, sweat and tears was worth it. I won the 3rd price at the Euroscale Modelling Contest in the Netherlands (2011). If this company issues the Sea Fury, I'll get a few because I'd like a more easy building process and have a nice diorama in mind of the aerobatics team the Royal Dutch Navy used to have (the Seabats).  

1 minute ago, Mr.T said:

I do know what you mean. I build a pair years ago and they turned out really well. But the building process was pretty glacial. It lacked details (wheel bays, lights, cockpit bulkhead, interior of the cockpit framing and so on) and getting the fuselage mated to the wing was a whole other ballgame together. the fuselages were slightly warped so had to be adjusted through warm water baths and quickly securing the wing so the alignment was achieved. But all the blood, sweat and tears was worth it. I won the 3rd price at the Euroscale Modelling Contest in the Netherlands (2011). If this company issues the Sea Fury, I'll get a few because I'd like a more easy building process and have a nice diorama in mind of the aerobatics team the Royal Dutch Navy used to have (the Seabats).  

Found a link back: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/153139-dutch-sea-furies-132-fisher-aerobats-1953/

Even when a company is full of good intentions a problem can quickly appear. I can give you two examples among multiple ones. First, the resin Alphajets from Fliegerhorst only stayed available for some months as the company suddenly disappeared not long after this first release. Second, we have the Paul Fisher's property dramatic fire. This resulted in the immediate disappearance of the full range and the fact less than 20 Navy AEW conversions for the Skyraider had been released. Alas, this occurs because you cannot predict all life events. This is why, as far as you have the resources to allocate to that, don't wait. I did it for the Alphajet but was so pissed off that I learnt from it and never did the same error.

Actually it is not bad to be a little bit cautious when a new actor is emerging and to assess if he had a prior business life in the modelling arena. Remember the initial questions about Jetmads. This is not bad as otherwise you can be burnt (remember the Aerodynamix Buccaneer fiasco). However, as soon as there is a reasonable collective amount of trust, I would say go for it. This is my strategy. And from the decision I made at least 15 years ago, I only lost 25€ for Aviaeology photoetched sets I never received. Not bad even if that demonstrates the risk will never be nil.

On 11/21/2022 at 8:52 AM, thierry laurent said:

Actually it is not bad to be a little bit cautious when a new actor is emerging and to assess if he had a prior business life in the modelling arena. Remember the initial questions about Jetmads. This is not bad as otherwise you can be burnt (remember the Aerodynamix Buccaneer fiasco). However, as soon as there is a reasonable collective amount of trust, I would say go for it. This is my strategy. And from the decision I made at least 15 years ago, I only lost 25€ for Aviaeology photoetched sets I never received. Not bad even if that demonstrates the risk will never be nil.

I'd add the Cutting Edge shenanigans in relation to the Brit Phantom project...

Still I am also hoping Special Hobby actually will issue the 1/32 scale Sea Fury since they have the Tempest II out there...including the Centaurus engine separately available.

Dreams come true! The Sea Fury is my favorite piston-engine aircraft.

I built the Fisher version about 10 years ago, and found a joy to build and look at. I skipped over the Hobbycraft offering, and just recently (and luckily) purchased a BNIB unbuilt Fisher Sea Fury which is going to be kept as a comparison template for future kits such as this one announced by DBMK or Special Hobby, if they make one.

So many beautiful schemes to do a SeaFury in, from global military to racer....one can fill a cabinet with all the variants. 

GM