Color of USAF F-100D

4 hours ago, James Rademaker said:

Could be grey or depending on the direction of the sun it may be a very dull NM. 
Jim

3 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Looks like silver/aluminum paint to me - no distinct panels or grain visible except back around the burner where it was not painted for obvious reasons.

16 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Does look like ADC Grey, but a number of types were painted silver in the early '60s (ANG F-86Hs, some F-86D/L etc) so this makes more sense.

Thanks for your replies

yes, some of them were painted silver lacquer as far as I know. I've read that there are few F-100s painted in ADC gray in the New Mexico Air National Guard. The F-100 in the picture has a distinctly bluish color, but I think logically it shouldn't be. Maybe the colors of the picture are distorted.

Thanks for your replies, It is not my intention to prolong the topic, but I also wanted to post the pictures below. In one of these two pictures from Bert Kinzey's Detail in scale F-100 book, it is stated that the F-100 (53681) is painted in ADC gray. Does anyone have the opposite opinion on this? Is this F-100 one of the few ADC gray Huns? If so, I'd like to include it in the build schedule.

Thanks

IMG-2728.jpg

IMG-2727.jpg

Yep, that one is gloss gray.  No question.  AF Systems Command does/did test and evaluation work, not operational stuff, so their hardware gets slightly different treatment which may or may not account for the paint job.  The airplane may have been borrowed from an operational squadron and just showed up at Eglin painted that way.  

On 11/14/2022 at 4:11 PM, Tolga ULGUR said:

Thanks for your replies, It is not my intention to prolong the topic, but I also wanted to post the pictures below. In one of these two pictures from Bert Kinzey's Detail in scale F-100 book, it is stated that the F-100 (53681) is painted in ADC gray. Does anyone have the opposite opinion on this? Is this F-100 one of the few ADC gray Huns? If so, I'd like to include it in the build schedule.

Thanks

IMG-2728.jpg

IMG-2727.jpg

63318 is finished in aluminium lacquer, 53681 looks to be aluminium lacquer too, in this photo?:

5413062161_7551353192_b.jpg

681 is definitely gray. The two jets in the first post are from the 614th TFS, 401st TFW. The Colors and Markings book says they were painted silver in 1960.  

A couple of other interesting things in the photo. Both jets have been fitted with a barrier hook, but neither has been modified with the speed brake with the wider cutout to clear a centerline store. Both of these mods were done to the F-100 fleet around 1960-62.

Ben