One stripe or two?

A question about the yellow painted stripes on US Vietnam era bombs. Some weapons have one yellow stripe while others have two. Why is that? Is it significant? Or random?

Getting ready to paint bombs for my Vigilante and was hoping for some clarity. 

Dan

To further add to the 2 stripes question, the first thermal protection was a rubber coating on the inside of the bomb so there was no rough coating on bombs until after Vietnam. You can see some  Mk-82's with 2 stripes being loading in this video:

as for 3 stripes, i think that was for a less sensitive explosive filler in the more modern era. To further confuse things some early older bombs had 3 stripes as well, that designated what type of explosive filler the bomb had, some old fat bombs being loaded on an A-6A can be seen here:

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/85180

Jari

3 hours ago, Dandiego said:

A question about the yellow painted stripes on US Vietnam era bombs. Some weapons have one yellow stripe while others have two. Why is that? Is it significant? Or random?

Getting ready to paint bombs for my Vigilante and was hoping for some clarity. 

Dan

Since you mentioned Vigilante, i think they were just recon only during the war, early A-5s could carry bombs which would have only 1 stripe on them. Also for reference for others, it took time for 2 stripes bombs to come thru the supply lines so a mix of 1 and 2 stripes bombs were common:

Carrier-USS-Constitution-Vietnam-1972-sc

Jari