SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT - Wingnut Wings

spruebrothers

Win, win? Not so simple in economics. Creating a feeling of rarity quicken the sales, put pressure on resellers (they cannot miss that opportunity and have less margin to negotiate prices), maintain high prices on the second-hand market (when there is one) and this also fosters speculation! 

Has that an impact on John Doe the modeller? Yes as he's generally accepting to pay higher prices to get the kits if he's interested in them or think he could be interested in them later... These are just basic economics laws. So, based on information MBK received this should be the last batch unless they go on discovering large batches of kits every six months! Wait and see next year! 

Calm down please. Modellbau Koenig offers the kits at the same prices as back then when WNW was still working. Dunno how Sprue Brothers is handling the sale, but John Doe modeller will not to have higher prices, at least not in Germany. This is even a very good offer regarding the overall price increases this year. And no need to bash MBK. They are not producing WNW kits, and not part of WNW; they are still relying on the information they've got from abroad.

Me? I am an old fashioned guy. I would be more than happy to see another batch of WNW kits pop up, especially for MBKs pricing :punk:

Regards

- dutik

17 minutes ago, dutik said:

Calm down please. Modellbau Koenig offers the kits at the same prices as back then when WNW was still working. Dunno how Sprue Brothers is handling the sale, but John Doe modeller will not to have higher prices, at least not in Germany. This is even a very good offer regarding the overall price increases this year. And no need to bash MBK. They are not producing WNW kits, and not part of WNW; they are still relying on the information they've got from abroad.

Me? I am an old fashioned guy. I would be more than happy to see another batch of WNW kits pop up, especially for MBKs pricing :punk:

Regards

- dutik

I would fully agree if enough kits were delivered but seeing what occurred with SB, I'm not that optimistic. We will see but I'm afraid only a minority of people will get their kits. Others will have to go on hunting on ebay. I guess we will have the final word in 2023. Very frankly I'm hoping I'm wrong.

That's the proof of the old tribal knowledge: Buy a kit when available and don't wait with the buy until you want to start it. Then it might be sold out, OOP, company gone, vanished forever.

That's a fundamental wisdom. It's not WNW related. Think about Peter Fishers kits, ZM, Alley cat, MDC, ... you name it.

And a very sound reason to tell your wife why you need this kit just now, and why keeping a stash is important :thumbsup:

Regards

- dutik

BTW, this year was at least one vendor at the Euro Model Expo in Germany that sold OOP WNW kits for reasonable prices. Even the Gotha G.IV.

3 hours ago, dutik said:

That's the proof of the old tribal knowledge: Buy a kit when available and don't wait with the buy until you want to start it. Then it might be sold out, OOP, company gone, vanished forever.

That's a fundamental wisdom. It's not WNW related. Think about Peter Fishers kits, ZM, Alley cat, MDC, ... you name it.

And a very sound reason to tell your wife why you need this kit just now, and why keeping a stash is important :thumbsup:

Regards

- dutik

BTW, this year was at least one vendor at the Euro Model Expo in Germany that sold OOP WNW kits for reasonable prices. Even the Gotha G.IV.

Eh, eh ... This is why I have all these kits including the WnW ones I was interested in. ^_^ Actually, the only kit I'm still looking after for many years is a 1/32 resin Alphajet. That one is very difficult to get! I'm not saying it is absolutely impossible to get the early WnW kits for a reasonable price but you need to be very patient and somewhat lucky.

While I will probably try to get a couple from Sprue when available I don't feel too pressed about it. One of my modeling friends and I have a frequent discussion about what percentage of model kits actually get built. Just from people we know in the hobby, and certainly anecdotal and not scientific, we've decided it can't be more than 20%. Probably less. With that in mind it will always be possible to get a kit that I am actually going to build when the time comes to do so. Sure it might cost a little more, but maybe less as well depending on whatever is happening at the time.

That same friend struck up a friendship with the owner of a Chinese model manufacturer/seller, not naming names, at the Chattanooga Nats and has asked him if he has any interest in buying any of the WNW molds. He said none whatsoever. That the small amount of people that actually wanted them already have them. Anyway that's the perspective of someone that's in the business.

Jay

I very much applaud any seller who is claiming they will sell the latest WNW stock at the original, list price. 

I'm wondering how they will manage this, however. Global shipping-costs (ocean-based) have increased by something like 700% in the last five years. I would take an educated guess that shipping by air is now also a great deal more expensive too (fuel costs, aircraft availability, etc).

Surely, these costs would have to passed on to the customers, otherwise all chances of making a profit would simply disappear (?).  

Cheers. 

Chris.   

15 hours ago, dutik said:

Regards

- dutik

I thought you wished to burn your stash to make room for new, Dutik?

Gawd, this whole frenzy makes me so glad I didn't succumb to WnW to begin with. It's crazyworld.

Tony 

Jeez, even when they're dead WNW still manage to court conspiracy theories....there's no super-duper marketing strategy, no jacking up the price due to rarity, no 'Haha you thought we were dead but we're actually still secretly producing kits'.

All that's happening is the accountants left in charge are selling off the remaining assets as and when they can. That's it.

2 hours ago, vince14 said:

Jeez, even when they're dead WNW still manage to court conspiracy theories....there's no super-duper marketing strategy, no jacking up the price due to rarity, no 'Haha you thought we were dead but we're actually still secretly producing kits'.

All that's happening is the accountants left in charge are selling off the remaining assets as and when they can. That's it.

This is the official message and your opinion. Mine is different. It is not a conspiracy theory as you wrote but a question regarding the strategy based on my surprise seeing regular arrival of batches of kits for at least two years whereas these so-called accountants are managing the assets sale of a small company. You may consider this to be a normal situation. Personally I have never seen such a case even when far larger ones stopped their activity. As I wrote we will see next year what is going on.

8 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

This is the official message and your opinion. Mine is different. It is not a conspiracy theory as you wrote but a question regarding the strategy based on my surprise seeing regular arrival of batches of kits for at least two years whereas these so-called accountants are managing the assets sale of a small company. You may consider this to be a normal situation. Personally I have never seen such a case even when far larger ones stopped their activity. As I wrote we will see next year what is going on.

Right. Give me a week and I'll find every single kit that's left in the warehouse. No "9th annual warehouse find sale" for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2022 at 6:31 PM, spruebrothers said:

Last status that we know is that the container is at the Kansas City rail yard waiting its turn to be unloaded, and then hopefully delivered to us.

So, its two calendar-weeks later. Could the Wingnut Wings offering have come and gone without my realizing that the party was over? I ask because "the Kansas City rail yard" is awfully close to the SB warehouse.