Tamiya's 1/32 F4U-1D (Late War Navy assigned to the USS Bunker Hill)

I recently purchased this beautiful kit and wanted confirmation regarding the color of the interior portions (wheel wells, tail wheel well, and cowling) that were partially or wholly exposed.

My research indicates these areas were the same color of exterior-Gloss Sea Blue (FS15042).  

The interior color not exposed was interior green (FS34151) including the cockpit, wing interiors, fuselage fore and aft of the cockpit.  Sound good?  Thanks, George

I spent a long time researching the F4U-1D for my build of the Tamiya 32nd kit (which, BTW, is simply amazing).    I believe that the cowling interiors were also painted in the same grey color as the landing gear.   Not sure if other colors were used but that's what I went with.   Also, if you aren't aware - Fundekals has an awesome decal sheet (and 30 pages of detailed info you can download for free).   Well worth the money.  Good luck on your build! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John1.  Thanks.  I never heard of the cowling interior and landing gear being painted gray for F4U-1Ds.  F4U-1Ds were late war Corsairs. The reference guides I have (Squadron Walkaround/In Action) indicate both were Gloss Sea Blue (approximately FS 15042).  It may sound like an anomaly to paint them gray.

29 minutes ago, George said:

Hi John1.  Thanks.  I never heard of the cowling interior and landing gear being painted gray for F4U-1Ds.  F4U-1Ds were late war Corsairs. The reference guides I have (Squadron Walkaround/In Action) indicate both were Gloss Sea Blue (approximately FS 15042).  It may sound like an anomaly to paint them gray.

Photos of -1D Corsairs with light-colored landing gear struts are not hard to find.  The picture of the Bunker Hill Corsair (side no. 183, just like in the Tamiya kit) that was in the original Squadron In-Action #29 on page 23 clearly shows this.  Whether gray or aluminum paint is debateable.  Blue struts on Corsairs in WWII was not terribly common; even the -4s were built with light-colored landing gear.  The blue struts and wheels were characteristic of those airplanes that went through depot overhaul, and were repainted there.

Also, note that the Bunker Hill Corsairs were fitted with the old-style, short tailwheel strut.

Hi George,

The F4U-1D limited its use of Interior Green to the cockpit.  Other enclosed areas were either one coat of yellow zinc chromate or two coats of yellow zinc chromate.  (Vought had an exemption from BuAer and stamped "1st Coat" in black after the first coat.  A second coat would change the appearance of the stamp.)

Cheers,

Dana

On 11/26/2022 at 5:30 PM, Dana Bell said:

Hi George,

The F4U-1D limited its use of Interior Green to the cockpit.  Other enclosed areas were either one coat of yellow zinc chromate or two coats of yellow zinc chromate.  (Vought had an exemption from BuAer and stamped "1st Coat" in black after the first coat.  A second coat would change the appearance of the stamp.)

Cheers,

Dana

Hi Dana: Thanks.  Were the main and tail wheel wells also yellow zinc chromate or Glossy Sea Blue? George