Trumpeter 1/32 F-105G Wild Weasel - Nose gear bay time…finally

Brett M

9 hours ago, denders said:

I imagine that they're sized to fit the kit parts. Unfortunate that the Aires parts are a different size. I was going to use a combination of Eduard and the Quinta parts for my corsair build and ended up just sticking with most of the kit parts and the Quinta parts.

I may end up going that same route as well. Decisions to be made now. Unfortunate that I removed the moldings for holding the kit cockpit, too!

8 hours ago, ROM said:

oh too bad :(

cant you cheat a little with trimming the quinta parts a bit?

Sadly no, at least not with the IP. The difference in width is pretty significant and I'd lose too much on the Quinta parts.

52491286921_6cd75eb940_h.jpg

Looking at the IP, would it be possible to use a sheet of styrene and build up the face of the panel to the point that it’s the same width as the Quinta studio set?

I’ve just start a F-15c and I’m waiting for the Quinta studio set to do the same, Aires set with Quinta studio 3d decals! 
Good luck!

On 11/10/2022 at 9:49 PM, Squizzy 78 said:

Looking at the IP, would it be possible to use a sheet of styrene and build up the face of the panel to the point that it’s the same width as the Quinta studio set?

I’ve just start a F-15c and I’m waiting for the Quinta studio set to do the same, Aires set with Quinta studio 3d decals! 
Good luck!

Probably possible, but I think I'd end up with problems fitting the side panels onto the IP and back into the same issues.

I think I'm going to revert to the kit cockpit, and scavenge what I can from Aires. Time to do some Sunday work!

So, for as long as I was at the hobby desk, sure doesn't look like I accomplished much! I started assembling the front and rear IP's, and started building out their bases. Nothing fancy, but doing what I can to dress up the kit parts more. I also have the Aires gear bays on the way, UPS says Wednesday for delivery so that should be interesting to build up. 

Removed the raised detail from the Trumpeter parts and glued everything together. Added Evergreen sheet to build out the bases for each IP. Also removed the RHAW system at the top of the front IP, as I'm going to do my best to make the Aires part fit (see below). 

52498138709_4b91c525e2_h.jpg

I was a bit heavy with Mr. Surfacer, so I'll have to wait a while for that to dry before I can sand. I was hoping to get some paint on today, but that's not going to happen. 

52498335080_6ada624c8e_h.jpg

Comparison of the stock part and the Aires. I think I know which one I'll be bashing into the jet, if I can make it work. 

52498411323_33feca2f91_h.jpg

And back to a messy work bench. Stuff everywhere means you're accomplishing something, right?. You can also see where I've added supports for the kick cockpit to mount to....to replace what I removed. :BANGHEAD2:

52497852176_05dcbc026c_h.jpg

Edited by Brett M

I will be following this one with great interest. 

I bought the Verlinden resin cockpit set and then read a review which described it as "un-useable" (doh!). If I ever get around to building this one, I think I will just glue the Verlinden side-panels to the Trumpeter cockpit-tub, if this is possible. We'll have to wait and see. 

Cheers. 

Chris.  

• Brett M changed the title to Trumpeter 1/32 F-105G Wild Weasel - Front IP details

Lots of slow work that's progressed on the cockpit, which of course I didn't take pictures of. I've built out the area behind the center console on the instrument panel, as there was nothing behind the kit part. Probably won't see much of this, but, I like it more. I've done the same for the rear IP as well and was able to borrow some of the Eduard panels for it too. My next step is to the build the instrument panel shroud for the rear IP, as the kit part is......lacking. 

Here's the front IP, with Quinta parts installed with thinned PVA. The color the used for grey is not even close to Dark Gull Grey, as called for on this jet. I did what I could to match it, so it doesn't stand out, but...it's wrong. Artistic license? Radar screen to be added later, as it needs to angled upwards toward the pilot, which Quinta didn't do. Evergreen and carving to the rescue....tomorrow? 

52516269000_7719997015_h.jpg

I am thoroughly impressed by the detail Quinta captures.....can't wait to see how the entire cockpit looks assembled with a mishmash of Trumpeter, Quinta, Eduard and Aires packed into it!

mmmh... so far I haven't been attracted by Quinta products, apart from the high cost, it seemed to me from the photos that the indexes of the instruments protruded from the frames.
now this picture of yours is intriguing me, it looks really well done!
From 1 to 10 what grade would you give it?

TIA, Paolo

18 minutes ago, mc65 said:

I use Quinta whenever the pocket money allows, in my view they are a 10 all the way. You need to be careful on some of the bigger pieces as they have a tendency to curl very quickly as they come off the backing paper. I use a small amount of CA to hold them in place but will try the watered down PA suggested by Brett above. The end result is, I think, much better than painted PE and light years better than I can paint.  

10 hours ago, mc65 said:

mmmh... so far I haven't been attracted by Quinta products, apart from the high cost, it seemed to me from the photos that the indexes of the instruments protruded from the frames.
now this picture of yours is intriguing me, it looks really well done!

TIA, Paolo

I'm going with 8 out of 10, only because their interior grey doesn't seem close to a match for Dark Gull Grey. Otherwise, super easy to work with and fits excellent. 

On 11/23/2022 at 1:26 AM, alaninaustria said:

Man, that looks really nice. Can’t wait to see more! 

Cheers

Alan

Thanks, Alan, appreciate it!

Working on the rear IP. Raised details removed from the plastic and a new shroud built. The kit part didn't have much in the way of a shroud at all, so this should help match the real look. A bit of plastic snuffing before heading out to eat turkey!

For those that have today as a holiday, enjoy your Thanksgiving! Everyone else, hope you get some plastic work done today :) 

52521539388_f6fed4bb1d_h.jpg

• Brett M changed the title to Trumpeter 1/32 F-105G Wild Weasel - Now the rear IP details
On 11/25/2022 at 8:21 AM, John1 said:

Outstanding work Brett!   Following this build closely. 

On 11/25/2022 at 8:57 PM, Squizzy 78 said:

Great start Brett, this cockpit is going to be an eye catcher!

Thanks John, Squizzy, appreciate it!

Moving as quick as I always do, more updates on the rear IP and how it's turning out. As mentioned, new shroud created and blended in. Then, added wiring and instrument housings to the back of the IP, in case it's visible at all through the bulkhead "windows", though those appear to be thick and distorted in the few pictures I've seen. Quinta decals are, well, wow. I still need to build shrouds for the rear radar scope, plus some of the instruments, but I'm heading to California for a few days, so that's on pause. That and I'm waiting on some supplies from Sprue Bros, which conveniently arrive tomorrow after I leave!

Front IP shot included, using the resin shroud from Aires. Slightly thick looking, so I'm not sure it'll stay. 

Happy modeling all!

52536118603_c85978cc0c_h.jpg

52536118638_45911a263c_h.jpg

52536118578_e2c210ebc2_h.jpg

Rear IP details

52543862698_fce0edceb1_h.jpg

Front with resin shroud on the scope. 

52543799640_f47fb18344_h.jpg

Edited by Brett M
Words