1/32nd A-20G coming from HK Models

tomprobert

Forgive my ignorance, but to create a Havoc night-fighter is it mostly a case of removing the warty rear turret and substituting a rear view arrangement + AI Mk.IV radar gear (similar arrangement to the turbinlight, shown above, but with centrally-located bow-and-arrow on the gun-toting nose). And also in blackboard paint.  

Tony 

Guys, it's unbuildable. I found a mistake. It needs a new nose wheel... the one from the restored example they studied (meticulously, I mean, look at how gorgeous it is) isn't accurate to a wartime bird. Surely we can't build this monstrosity now (except it's so good looking)!

All kidding aside, I'm sure resin wheels will be along for those that need that little extra touch of accuracy. If all I can nitpick about is a bloody nose wheel, I'm in hog heaven. This thing looks absolutely splendid.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

8 hours ago, Tony T said:

Forgive my ignorance, but to create a Havoc night-fighter is it mostly a case of removing the warty rear turret and substituting a rear view arrangement + AI Mk.IV radar gear (similar arrangement to the turbinlight, shown above, but with centrally-located bow-and-arrow on the gun-toting nose). And also in blackboard paint.  

Tony 

I’ll need to check my references when I’m back home from work in a week or so …

wlBuxGx_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

… but I’m fairly certain that the engine upgrades to the Wright R-2600’s that occurred fairly regularly during development would not have effected the shape of the nacelles too much - so a win there!!

There were no huge external shape changes - apart from the turret as previously mentioned - although the amount, location and type of armament situated in the solid nose’s would vary depending on the variant … If you were trying to recreate an earlier Boston the glazed area at the front has a lot more framework.

Personally, I can see the AM guys going nuts with the possibilities available here for resin conversion sets!

In short … there’s a little bit more to just cutting the turret flange out of the fuselage … you’d need to rebuild that area and create a glazed canopy … probably re-equip the interior in that area - source the correct defensive armament and ensure your nose had the correct layout … but otherwise- yes!

Rog :)

12 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

Just got home and brought the complete example with me that was on the stand, courtesy of Neil. It’s a great kit

with lots of detail. The stressed skin looks fantastic.

Cheers

Cees

Waay cool

So are you going to write up a review? We want all the details, warts and flowers

On 11/12/2022 at 7:47 AM, Dave Williams said:

I think the upper fuselage insert in the turret area will be the key for determining if they plan to do earlier versions.

According to Wikipedia, the fuselage of the A-20G was 6 inches wider than previous versions to accommodate the turret.

26 minutes ago, spreckair said:

According to Wikipedia, the fuselage of the A-20G was 6 inches wider than previous versions to accommodate the turret.

The upper fuselage was only bulged outward in the area of the turret.  The fuselage wasn’t 6 inches wider over the entire length.  They could do a mold insert in that area of the fuselage for versions with the greenhouse rear gunners position.

10 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

The upper fuselage was only bulged outward in the area of the turret.  The fuselage wasn’t 6 inches wider over the entire length.  They could do a mold insert in that area of the fuselage for versions with the greenhouse rear gunners position.

Hi

the AJ Bentley plans show the extra width was only around the turret area

the plans show the engine nacelles are similar in shape and length below the wing to a III 

I reckon conversion is possible to an boston III/ IIIa etc or Havoc II, with a bit of work

maybe some aftermarket will save me some work 

but the small tail early boston/havoc would definitely  be a challenge 

cheers

jerry