ACHTUNG Stuka!

I suppose since it is a preserved aircraft it could have been re-painted, but all of the wiring looks like it is insulated to me, and there are no traces of yellow despite the worn appearance of it all. I hope this doesnt create more questions than they answer!  :rolleyes:

Hi Jay, nice picture.

You are right, they are insulated. Those wires are also covered with a protective metal braiding (a bit like a braided airbrush hose, only that it is metal insted of nylon)- you can see that in the picture. That was like an "armour" in order to prevent snagging/ripping in the heat of the battle. The same kind of cables are used on the right side of the Bf109 cockpit - photos of the right side of the 109 in the Aero Detail book or Verlinden Lock On show it in a clearer manner.

In my opinion, the use of yellow for all Luftwaffe cables is a bit wrong. Many pictures of the real thing show red, white and blue insulation as well as yellow. One should rely on photos for this - there is no rule. I also saw many pictures of models on the internet where the model builder went "yellow happy" :lol: and painted every cable and pipe yellow, including pipes for compressed air (should be blue), oil (should be brown), coolant (should be green) and instrument cables/hoses/conduits (should be black rubber).

Nice Stuka Chris - you are doing a great job. I can't wait until Hasegawa release the D and then I will bite too.

Radu

I Love it Chris! The cables looks nice and faded. The leather stuff is first rate. Achtung Baby!!!

I read a report by a German Engineer once (I have it somewhere, but I dont know where to start looking) regarding the wiring in the SA FW190 A-6 (Lulu). And I am sure he mentioned something about wires of different purpouse being different colours. For example, the wiring in the Focke Wulf's circuit breaker console was mostly red and black.

Fw%20190%20054.jpg

Guest LSP_Jay L

Superb work Chris! The seat looks cool and was a really good idea. I have acoup[le of those Cuttiong edge seats kicking around and I really wish I had thought of that one!

thanks for the insights Radu. very interesting stuff. It goes to show that between all of us here we can break down some of the myths through general consensus and teach the "experten" a thing or two about misconception! Photographs and reading can teach us much more than their supposition!

The weathering in the cockpit is excellent Chris!

Cheers mate,

Jay

i really like the cockpit. the color of the cables looks nice and blends perfectly into the cockpit shades.

the cable-color-minithread is very interesting. didnt know about the green for coolant stuff. thanks radub. i think if you one would cut those insulators in the stuka cockpit, one would find yellow cables in there. ok, maybe some red and black ones, too.

the way chris, alan and jay have modelled their cables are ones without insulations around them. they are much thinner. so their interpretation of colors for the wiering doesnt seem any wrong to me. as long as we dont get hands on a color picture showing the inside of the insulations, everyting is allowed.

i do like the non insulated thin wiering alot more then the ones on the real plane. chirs, jay, alan.... your cockpit is nicer than the real thing. at least i do feel so.

cheers klaus

Very nice work Chris, all of you in here and your work are inspiration to people like me. I have learned so much from reading posts like this, and it gives me a level of work to shoot for :)

jim