De Havilland

That’s a very well written and fair assessment of this excellent book Paul, it is an essential addition in my opinion to any “Tiger Moth” library.

True story:  the Haynes headquarters is only 20 minutes away from where I live. In the 1980s I applied for a job as one of their technical authors and was invited for interview. I parked my rather old and decrepit mini and went into reception, thence into the interview room. Part way through the grilling a lady came in and asked if that was my mini parked outside, which I confirmed. I was politely asked to move it, since I was in Mr Haynes spot!! :wacko:  Oooops! I didn’t get the job……the wages were rubbish anyway! 

1 hour ago, mozart said:

I was politely asked to move it, since I was in Mr Haynes spot!! :wacko:  Oooops! I didn’t get the job……the wages were rubbish anyway! 

I thought you were going to say that she asked you to demonstrate a strip and reassembly of the engine. 

9 hours ago, Archimedes said:

At at cover price of 12.99 GBP this could be the most cost effective one stop reference for the venerable Tiger Moth one could imagine.  

Wonder if any of the book traders at Telford will have a copy, after that comprehensive review I may just have to indulge.

My copy just arrived, £5.00, ebay. Good steer Paul.

Too bad Mr Haynes ran his firm like that - cowed employees contribute less than respected employees of similar ability and motivation, in my sixty years of work and highly biased opinion. On the other hand, maybe the lady just wanted a closer look at you Max.

10 minutes ago, Christa said:

My copy just arrived, £5.00, ebay. Good steer Paul.

Too bad Mr Haynes ran his firm like that - cowed employees contribute less than respected employees of similar ability and motivation, in my sixty years of work and highly biased opinion. On the other hand, maybe the lady just wanted a closer look at you Max.

I doubt the latter Chris! The MO for writing a car manual was the mechanic, photographer and author spending some days together, the mechanic obviously doing the engineery bit whilst the camera man snapped pics and the author took notes. The latter then worked from home writing it all up in draft for a few weeks, I think four was the target time, then further get togethers to refine, edit and approve etc. 

I think the ethos in the firm was good, (one of my friends was a commissioning editor) but I wasn’t sorry not to be offered the job. 

• 2 weeks later...

Despite what may be imagined, debates about dihedral are not only confined to our friends' 'Dihedragate' conversation regarding the new Revell Hurricane IIb. @Christa and I have been having some chats about the DH83 Fox Moth wing dihedral and sweepback. If any sweepback is there at all it is very subtle as the photos below show. The first image below of ZK-AGM might make one believe that there is no sweepback to the upper wing. It does however confirm the additional dihedral of the bottom wing:

990ElF.jpg

The second show below however, which is pretty much a perfect side-on view of the same airframe seems to confirm a subtle sweepback: Notice that the cabane struts appear slightly ahead of the interplane struts. Again the increase in dihedral of the lower wing versus the upper appears clear.

7pYHmV.jpg

The De Havilland DH.83 3-view drawing below (claimed to be from NACA-AC-16 and scarfed-up from Wikipedia) appears to show a 5 degree sweepback according to my protractor for both the upper and lower wings. 

HpZ3Ac.png

Does that confirm your thoughts Chris?

Kind regards,

Paul

Hello Paul

ZK - AGM is a beautifully presented Fox Moth, one of the finest I have seen. Thanks for sight of her.

Her canopy is very like that of G - ACRU so those views are also helpful in that regard. Dihedral seems to be confirmed for top and bottom planes as the same as DH 82. Sweepback is tricky. I was sure G - ACRU's sweepback was reduced as compared to DH 82 specification. My G - ACRU images show some sweepback. ZK - AGM second image tallies nicely.

Are you aware of Hilman's Airways 1931 -35? All of their twenty or so aircraft were De Havillands. Some info is still online at 'The Hillman One-Name Study' under 4.4 Hillman's Airways. My hometown was Romford. I played knew Maylands and cycled to Stapleford Airfield on countless spring and summer Sunday mornings. Tiger Moths were often to be seen. I was considering building DH 83 G - ABVI, named Chris, in Hillman's Airways livery when I happened upon images of G - ACRU. Hillman flew DH 84s and 89s to the Isle of Man on his route Romford - Liverpool - Isle of Man - Belfast. I still want to represent his machines in my collection. Local boy, significant pioneer.

Regards

Chris

On 11/7/2022 at 8:41 AM, mozart said:

o82vXL.jpg

Awesome pics, Max, thanks for sharing them!

In particular, it's views like this that I love the most. We think of these things as being highly technological pieces of equipment, flawless and items of perfection, but at the end of the day, no matter how well kept and maintained they are, they're still hand made pieces of machinery, built to do a job, as evident by the hand beaten metal fairings. It adds so much character to them, and I love it :wub:

Thanks again for posting :D

I'm in here with what I thought was a rare 1/24 DHC-2 Beaver, but it seems there's a guy on Ebay that has a load of them. I got one cheap (so now I have two!). I do plan to model build a 3D printable interior so if that is off putting, there's a chance I'll put it in my Shapeways shop in a month or so. (or you can have the STL files). 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314263790945?hash=item492b94e561:g:-NoAAOSwTdRicyQ2&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoMC6AqaqrPibuhzDH918AYjs3Ks4TyHcltaIX4AJUgzZ0EitK%2BYV%2FWiOYf22DNp3smPmiYP%2FKYaf5eCiAQEWAfMnm%2BUp1rau0vUOeztkd7d21cycs1dHRXRcmmr9w%2FJZVy2tosGHIvTEdPyyEM%2BDf%2FxwwjkazEZmaGsWQFH3m4KLgt9QMIsIr5ZhY7zRueIv4yv1Fa9p88sFfyMWztov3O4%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR7qdpfueYQ