Engines and things (Canada)

chrish

GK type resin castings of engines...and well, things. I just ordered a couple of radials for a kit in the pattern and was informed they'll be closing the doors in January.

No idea if folks on this site use or have heard about these engines but, prices are down to 1/2 price to clear out stock and close up shop.

Just a heads up.

I bought their 1:32 Merlin for a Hurricane, it’s certainly not Aires/CMK/Eduard Brassin/Quickboost quality, by a long way, and will need a lot of work to make it presentable, if you wanted to display it fully!

I seem to remember also buying the 1/48 Napier Sabre for a Tempest/Typhoon and that was also the same quality!

It is not my intention to knock Engines N Things, but in my very limited experience of these two engines, I’d say that they are similar to very early cottage industry products and more representative in shape, rather than an accurate miniature of the real thing. I might still have the Merlin and if so will post a picture for you!

37 minutes ago, Tony C said:

I bought their 1:32 Merlin for a Hurricane, it’s certainly not Aires/CMK/Eduard Brassin/Quickboost quality, by a long way, and will need a lot of work to make it presentable, if you wanted to display it fully!

I seem to remember also buying the 1/48 Napier Sabre for a Tempest/Typhoon and that was also the same quality!

It is not my intention to knock Engines N Things, but in my very limited experience of these two engines, I’d say that they are similar to very early cottage industry products and more representative in shape, rather than an accurate miniature of the real thing. I might still have the Merlin and if so will post a picture for you!

Thanks, Tony. I wouldn't bother with their 1/32 scale stuff, but am interested in some of their smaller scale engines to spice up some of the older kits in my stash.

Kev

I feel compelled to post here and offer some perspective.

The owner of Engines and Things was a dear friend of mine. Sadly, he passed away many years ago now. After that, his wife took over the business and has maintained it since with existing molds.

So, you must keep in mind that this company began casting many years ago when the business of resin casting was in its infancy. Their premise at the time was to offer engines for kits that were handled very poorly by the manufacturer, or engines that didn't exist at all. Such would be the case for vacuform kits for example. Another example being when a manufacturer supplied a single row of the radial engine with backing plate when in fact, a twin row is correct. Engines and Things offered the two rows to show accurate depth of the engines within the model cowlings.

So, if you are comparing their product to more current casters, then you will be disappointed. However, if you want an engine for older kits, or to replace poorly offered engines from the manufacturer, then this may be an option for you. That is why Kevins post above is why Engines and Things may be worth investigating. Their product really is designed now for older models in your stash or for those who want to open up a cowling on a kit and display a close facsimile of an engine.

So, as you assess if you want to purchase, please remember that you are comparing very early resin casting to today's items (including 3D). I think that warrants some consideration.

I hope this clarifies the Engines and Things product line for everyone.

Mark Proulx

Edited by Mark P
Grammar

1 hour ago, Mark P said:

I feel compelled to post here and offer some perspective.

Thanks Mark.

Sorry you lost your friend mate.  It's great his wife has been able to continue on with the business.

I have some of their engines in 1/32 and my observations match how you've described them. 

I found myself reading a reference book recently. I wasn't terribly impressed with its quality but when I checked, it was one of that companies earliest forays into the modelling scene. The book is also nearly 20+yrs old.  I had that same feeling of needing to evaluate it in the now but also against the context of the time is was written.

Thanks Matty

4 hours ago, Mark P said:

you must keep in mind that this company began casting many years ago when the business of resin casting was in its infancy. Their premise at the time was to offer engines for kits that were handled very poorly by the manufacturer, or engines that didn't exist at all. Such would be the case for vacform kits for example. Another example being when a manufacturer supplied a single row of the radial engine with backing plate when in fact, a twin row is correct. Engines and Things offered the two rows to show accurate depth of the engines within the model cowlings.

So, if you are comparing their product to more current casters, then you will be disappointed. However, if you want an engine for older kits, or to replace poorly offered engines from the manufacturer, then this may be an option for you. That is why Kevins post above is why Engines and Things may be worth investigating. Their product really is designed now for older models in your stash or for those who want to open up a cowling on a kit and display a close facsimile of an engine.

So, as you assess if you want to purchase, please remember that you are comparing very early resin casting to today's items (including 3D). I think that warrants some consideration.

Hi Mark,

Thank you, that was exactly what I was trying to say, but you've said it with more clarity than I possibly did.

As I mentioned in my post, there was no intention to knock the company or their range, each has a place in the hobby and if people are interested in a photo of the Merlin II/III...

ET32027.jpg

Edited by Tony C

Tony C....

I didn't take it as a knock so all is good....

I just believed that it was important to analyze their products with the perspective of hindsight and the unique opportunity I have to clarify what the original intent of Engines and Things was. The owner a close friend whom I frequently visited and is sadly missed. I think it is important to know the goals of the time when people compare to the latest resin cast products. 

Mark Proulx

I’ve ordered a few engines over the years, mostly…well all actually 1/72 scale stuff. This latest was my first and most likely my last purchase of 1/32 engines for a “hope to build” 1/32 vac. Lockheed Hudson.

Also, my reason for including the GK (garage kit) in my original post was to hopefully identify the product as a 1 person operation working from home and not to expect Eduard or Reskit stuff… nice stuff just not top tier by todays standards

2 hours ago, Mark P said:

Tony C....

I didn't take it as a knock so all is good....

I just believed that it was important to analyze their products with the perspective of hindsight and the unique opportunity I have to clarify what the original intent of Engines and Things was. The owner a close friend whom I frequently visited and is sadly missed. I think it is important to know the goals of the time when people compare to the latest resin cast products. 

Mark Proulx

I view Model Technologies in much the same way; very early P.E. examples, splendid for their time. Now dated, but nostalgic, and in many cases, still viable stuff.

I still have a Model Technologies set somewhere! But yes, my interest is exactly as Mark describes: improving the visible radial engines on a few old kits I have, mostly in 1/72 scale. I also have at least one vac Beaufighter in 1/48 scale that could use some engines. I realise these kinds of kits are mostly redundant these days, but I still intend to build them (and nobody makes a modern Do 24 anyway).

Kev

On 10/31/2022 at 8:14 PM, chrish said:

GK type resin castings of engines...and well, things. I just ordered a couple of radials for a kit in the pattern and was informed they'll be closing the doors in January.

No idea if folks on this site use 

Just a heads up.

Thankyou for the heads up!

Lots of really neat pre-war and classic type engines :D

Isn't it funny how we might baulk at the price of a single kit, but when it's spending twice as much on a stack of accessories for theoretical projects, I can't pull that trigger fast enough :lol:

But now I'm 3 steps closer to a low-wing Stinson Trimotor in 1/48 :frantic: