Devotion movie Corsair

KUROK

10 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

I think there are a couple of things holding it back.  First, it doesn’t have Tom Cruise and it’s not a sequel to a very popular movie.  Second, just looking at the trailer, to most people it looks a lot like Top Gun Maverick, with a impossible mission, air battles over and around snow covered mountains, and a bad guy “super fighter” (MiG-15 instead of Su-57) the heroes have to overcome.  Also, to be honest, since it deals with a pioneering black aviator, I think a lot of people wrongly assume that it’s just a “woke” ripoff of Top Gun Maverick, and don’t know that it’s a real story.

Yeah, I have to agree with you , most people are becoming more and more superficial and they really don't know history nor do they seem to be interested in learning it . The story of Jesse brown is no secret , I learned about him 30 some years ago. But then I'm a history buff of a high order . It's still too bad though

This situation reminds me of how the culture has changed even in my lifetime.

In the 1970s, MASH was a big hit show.  At that time WW2 vets may have been in their mid 50s in age and Korean War vets may have been in their 40s.  There were a lot of veterans and the show was a hit.  People that may not have been in wars could enjoy the show too and see what they lived through.  A show like MASH would never work in this time we are in.  No one is interested and, yes, our culture is super dumb'd down.  I weep for the culture...

1 hour ago, KUROK said:

This situation reminds me of how the culture has changed even in my lifetime.

In the 1970s, MASH was a big hit show.  At that time WW2 vets may have been in their mid 50s in age and Korean War vets may have been in their 40s.  There were a lot of veterans and the show was a hit.  People that may not have been in wars could enjoy the show too and see what they lived through.  A show like MASH would never work in this time we are in.  No one is interested and, yes, our culture is super dumb'd down.  I weep for the culture...

The times they are a changing no for the best either I'm afraid. Not to get too far off topic , I remember talking with ww2 vets my father worked with learned a lot about things from them. Some were PT boat crew who served with JFK in the same squadron. What they went through is beyond belief, they remember the night he got rammed

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw the movie with my son. Actually I think they made a great job. I'm wondering how many actual warbirds were used. I spotted once a three blades propeller parked Corsair. Otherwise, I did not see a lot of the stupid anachronisms we commonly see in war movies, the story was acceptably depicted and the use of CGI quite correct.

21 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

I just saw the movie with my son. Actually I think they made a great job. I'm wondering how many actual warbirds were used. I spotted once a three blades propeller parked Corsair. Otherwise, I did not see a lot of the stupid anachronisms we commonly see in war movies, the story was acceptably depicted and the use of CGI quite correct.

I just have to see this! Your word is an indorsement on this movie , if you say it's goer then that good enough for me . I tend to be pretty critical on movies, just ask my kids LOL

14 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Off the top of my head they used 4 Corsairs (Planes of Fame's F4U-1, CAF's FG-1D, Erickson Air Museums F4U-7 & Dan Friedkin's F4U-4)... They used Erickson Air Museums AD-4 Skyraider - Planes of Fame's Mig-15bis - 2 Bearcats (Planes of Fame & Dan Friedkin) and I can't remember the owners name but the helicopter used is I believe the only one of that type still airworthy... I thought the movie was really good and after reading the book last year - I was actually more excited to see Devotion then I was Top Gun Maverick... And yes there is CGI in the movie but only because they couldn't gather 20 or 30 Corsairs to film the squadron flying scenes... I thought they did a good job of trying to make the actors in the cockpit scenes look as real as possible including going so far as to used Rod Lewis's duel control Sea Fury with the tail painted blue with the actors in the backseat for the Bearcat flying scenes... And I can't wait for it to come out on dvd... Mike

7 hours ago, mkd1966 said:

Off the top of my head they used 4 Corsairs (Planes of Fame's F4U-1, CAF's FG-1D, Erickson Air Museums F4U-7 & Dan Friedkin's F4U-4)... They used Erickson Air Museums AD-4 Skyraider - Planes of Fame's Mig-15bis - 2 Bearcats (Planes of Fame & Dan Friedkin) and I can't remember the owners name but the helicopter used is I believe the only one of that type still airworthy... I thought the movie was really good and after reading the book last year - I was actually more excited to see Devotion then I was Top Gun Maverick... And yes there is CGI in the movie but only because they couldn't gather 20 or 30 Corsairs to film the squadron flying scenes... I thought they did a good job of trying to make the actors in the cockpit scenes look as real as possible including going so far as to used Rod Lewis's duel control Sea Fury with the tail painted blue with the actors in the backseat for the Bearcat flying scenes... And I can't wait for it to come out on dvd... Mike

Well, that's a hell of a good line up! Actually I have no desire to see Top Gun Maverick but this one oh yeah, in fact I'll get it when it comes out on D.V.D. That they included Bearcats is a major plus for me , shows that they're paying attention to detail. a trait that seems to be sorely lacking today 

On 10/30/2022 at 2:27 PM, LSP_K2 said:

Interesting thought, the only movie aircraft that I've ever desired to build, are either of the two Brubaker Panthers from The Bridges at Toko-Ri.

I have wanted to build one for decades. I missed my chance for a Fisher F-9-F Panther. The cost if I could find one is prohibitive for me now.

2 hours ago, Ayovan said:

I have wanted to build one for decades. I missed my chance for a Fisher F-9-F Panther. The cost if I could find one is prohibitive for me now.

That's an area where there's  an empty spot in our scale. Why no early Grumman jets? Almost completely ignored! I could go for a late model Corsair [ a good one] too!

On 12/14/2022 at 5:59 AM, George said:

Hi.  I agree with Dave.  Although, HBO had two great series about real warriors: The Pacific and The Band of Brothers.  We live in a different world today.  Sad.

Yeah the streaming companies just seem fixated with prequels or marvel superheroes. Also filling quotas - having forced strong female and diversity roles. Band of Brothers type stuff won’t happen again my friend not PC enough. They tried to do a Lord Rings / Tolkien prequel recently, spent a billion dollars and it was utter garbage. JMO 

Anyway I’ll give this Corsair one a go…

Edited by Pup7309

On 12/13/2022 at 6:59 PM, George said:

Hi.  I agree with Dave.  Although, HBO had two great series about real warriors: The Pacific and The Band of Brothers.  We live in a different world today.  Sad.

The same team responsible for those two seminal series are getting closer to completing a third: ‘Masters of the Air’ about the USAAF 8th Air Force based in England in WW2. I see no reason why it won’t be as gritty and realistic as the previous two.

1 hour ago, Shoggz said:

The same team responsible for those two seminal series are getting closer to completing a third: ‘Masters of the Air’ about the USAAF 8th Air Force based in England in WW2. I see no reason why it won’t be as gritty and realistic as the previous two.

Can’t wait. As long as they don’t have she-hulk flying one of those crates I’m in :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, Shoggz said:

Realistic and gritty yes, but not P.C. enough for a good draw these days , unfortunately. I'm all for it myself, but then again I'm a student of history