Trump or Revell F-18 F??

alaninaustria

Hi everybody, just wondering what the jury says about the best of the breed… Trump F or Revell F??

Please let me know what your thoughts are - seems the more I read, the deeper the rabbit hole gets!! I read that the Growler version from Trumpeter is the best one to get as it has corrected cockpit parts? 

Thoughts and opinions appreciated!

Cheers

Alan

Trumpeter is best in my view.  Partially built both, one ended in the bin and the other sits unloved ready for paint due to boredom on my SoD but will be completed at some stage.  The one in the bin was the revell kit - worse kit ever for me, I'm used to short run kits but this was just so disappointing.  My frustration resulted in bodged building which on top of the poor engineering and unbelievably bad fit issues of the revell kit resulted in it supporting rubbish in a landfill site.  I started the trumpeter kit immediately after binning the revell kit by which time I think I had just had enough of the plane and moved on to something else.  

Have fun with whichever you go for !

neil

The Trumpeter F doesn’t really have incorrect cockpit parts, it just doesn’t have the later ACS rear cockpit.  It’s not really wrong, it just represents an early F.  The Trumpeter Growler does have the rear ACS cockpit (in fact it has two, because the parts are on a duplicated sprue).  I had all three Trumpeter kits, but after getting the Revell F/A-18E, I don’t see myself getting another Revell kit.  I’ll stick with the Trumpeter kits.  I’ve got a bunch of detail/correction parts for the Trumpeter kits, and now Quinta has a 3D cockpit (just for the -E now, but hopefully for the other two in the future), and Red Fox has 3D cockpits for all three kits. 

Edited by Dave Williams

I’ve built F/A-18s from both manufacturers and if I was build another, it would be the Trumpeter kit every time. The Revell kit was a battle from start to finish and although it has better detailing in regard to the wheel bays, it’s just not worth the aggro. 

Tom