Dewoitine D. 520 Azur 1:32

Borsos

Hello all,

for my first WIP here I chose Azurs Dewoitine. It’s not only because I spend some great days at the Côte d‘Azur, I loved the Dewoitine since I saw here for the first time. If I weren’t that deep in 1:32 scale since some 9 years, I‘d simply have dug out my Tamiya kit in 1:48. But I had build some Special Hobby kits and all went together quite nicely. How often I should wish I‘d have gone with the Tamiya kit….
f61c9af1-a435-4c59-bmkjqy.jpeg
these are the aftermarket items I had brought together. They are spread over the Medieval floor of an Old French House we spent some wonderful days. Afterwards some Berna Decals and a Vacu canopy from Squadron made their way to my workbench.

On a sunny day I cut the sprues and taped together the main parts.

1855cd20-e4b0-474a-8u6jss.jpeg

0dc3bfe8-5ea4-4449-8ztjat.jpeg

f31792f1-d06c-4ddf-bb1j6u.jpeg

cae9b4aa-5d03-45cc-8zkjow.jpeg

Not too bad on the first view, besides of the fact that the kit completely lacks the wing‘s dihedral of the original.

Best regards

Andreas

Thanks a lot, folks!

4 hours ago, GroovyPapa said:

Oh, it looks to have some nice surface detail. Perhaps it won't be difficult to get the correct wing-angle with a little bit of sanding block and a little bit of putty... ;)

Sadly the lower part of both wings (which is one single part) needs a little more force than that...

350e750c-712d-4633-b2lkh3.jpeg

I must say that I was really sceptic regarding the resin parts, especially when it came to this... some magicians could possibly turn that into a nicely looking figure after heavy clean up and some coats of paint -- we will never know :huh:

e11f490d-2879-4262-aakkim.jpeg

The plastic parts are actually quite nice.

4e1da9e5-ae49-411a-9h9jth.jpeg

The dihedral problem after glueing the wingparts together. Was this a good idea to do before having found a solution...?

The positive thing with the Dewoitine (contrary to the Bf-109 e. g.) is that this bird is not really well known (which I cannot understand). So If I'd use the wings like they were, not too many people would realize the missing dihedral, no? -- But I always would know it, and I am sure I always would regret it not to have done my best to improve that aera.

Browsing through some French forums I learned two things:

1. In spite of having learned that beautiful language for three years at school (back then ... in the Stone Age...), one's able to forget a language almost completely (or is this just me?)

2. Many French modellers seem to have corrected the dihedral problem by glueing a strong piece of plasticcard cut to the proper angle between the upper and the lower halves of the wings. Great idea, but in my case...:wacko:

986b52a4-1738-4712-biok1d.jpeg

1c8867da-7f65-49ff-b8ijd2.jpeg

d75c0445-c6ef-4374-bf6jk7.jpeg

As you can see in the end I went on with a much more brutal way of correction. But after some extensive puttying and sanding it looks like it should and -- most importantly -- it stays in place like it should:

405441fe-68a1-472f-bxajhv.jpeg

Best regards,

Andreas

Thanks a lot folks!

7 hours ago, quang said:

Ask @waroff. He knows everything about the D.520 and then some :bow:.

As this bird is on it’s finishing line in reality, I hope he won’t see too many errors when he should look by :closedeyes:

When I turned my attention to the fuselage, something showed up that I had never expected after an … ahem … mediocre fit of the flaps: The resin parts for the cockpit fit surprisingly well after some cleanup:

5c44edd7-5368-4d87-9k6j3x.jpeg

925806e9-50fa-a71a-81ajh9.jpeg

2c8a6189-0fae-a3ce-8fukx2.jpeg

I actually liked this resin cockpit and kept adding scratch built detail to a minimum. The instrument panel is from Yahu. It’s always wise to paint your cockpit in a color that fits your prepainted panel — or you can do it like I did ^_^ . 
87e55ce5-8251-a707-a8jjn3.jpeg

When it’s about painting cockpits I don’t mind overdoing the contrast between lights and shadows. It brings out the details better after closing things up; in my opinion at least.

b9a578a8-a9da-af06-8rlk47.jpeg

58e3a92a-28de-ae8a-9bcjvf.jpeg

82289baa-706b-a936-bm5j9v.jpeg

18b97b53-1eb7-ad3b-9vjkj1.jpeg

As there’s no engine with this kit (which I am completely fine with), I was ready to attach the fuselage halves now. The seat belts were made of lead foil and wire. There are some useful PE parts with this kit, but I always hate PE seat belts. I find them looking way to stiff.

best regards

Andreas

Edited by Borsos