That’s a big one……

Oldbaldguy

Thanks, Pete. Visually it looks about the same size - but in order for that to be the case, the An-225 would have to be 50% larger than the B-52 at 1:1, which doesn't seem likely to me. I guess I can just go look up the real world dimensions and do some arithmetic! (The reason for my enquiry is that I've developed an interest in discovering what the largest static scale model aircraft ever released is.)

Kev

3 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

I guess I can just go look up the real world dimensions and do some arithmetic!

Well, I just did exactly that, and yeah, the An-225 is easily 50% (or more) larger than the B-52 in real life. What. A. Monster.

Is there any static scale aircraft model likely to be larger? HpH's 1/48 B-36 or 1/32 Me 321? (I'm talking about production kits here, not hand-built on-offs).

Kev

15 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Well, I just did exactly that, and yeah, the An-225 is easily 50% (or more) larger than the B-52 in real life. What. A. Monster.

Is there any static scale aircraft model likely to be larger? HpH's 1/48 B-36 or 1/32 Me 321? (I'm talking about production kits here, not hand-built on-offs).

Kev

If paper models count, GPM do a 1/33 B-52. 

On 10/21/2022 at 11:10 PM, Oldbaldguy said:

When I was a kid there were few (if any) IM kits out there in 1/32 and now you can get just about anything you’d want in that scale.  But it seems that there is no such thing as big enough for modelers like us.  I recently saw a YouTube vid about a guy who built a 36’ electric RC airplane (same size as my Cessna 182) just to see if he could.  He did and it flew.  Seems we’ve caught the same virus here on LSP.  The WIP section is rife with plastic models in scales much larger than our traditional 1/32 or, in some cases, 1/32 scale models that need a hangar, not a shelf.  I guess my question is: When is big, big enough?  Now that 3D printing is as common as dirt, is there theoretically no limit to the size of what we build?  Will 50% models soon be the norm and, if that becomes common, how far away can 1:1 models be?

I'm in the process of building a 1/3 scale Cessna O-2, so I'll never criticise anyones choice of scale :)