Andy's Hobby Headquarters New Kit - 1/16 Tiger Ie Early Announced

Juggernut

4 hours ago, cbk57 said:

I feel like there is a lot of gate keeping in some aspects of our hobby.  I went over to Missing Lynx and took a look, I think that is what the poster above is referring to.  Things are getting very territorial in armor and with Tiger in particular.  However that same motivation has brought us information and Accuracy in our models that we would have never imagined.  Anymore there is a race to pick apart new announcements but at the same time glaring errors in subjects like the tiger which are well known and thoroughly researched should not happen. If a bolt is in the wrong place that seems an easy fix, even getting the side skirt lines wrong is a pretty easy fix.

The E8 was not that inspiring for me, like others I would be more inclined to something that saw more use.  The Tiger will get some consideration on my part, you can mark me down as interested.   I learned my lesson at least temporarily on the Rye Field kit that over complexity is not the answer.  Right now I think Andy is finding a nice balance with complexity and detail in these kits.  In this day if you want an interior for the new Tiger or sherman let the aftermarket solve that with 3d printing.  then for $300.00 you can have your full interior if you want it.  For me the best solution though would be partial interiors.  For example this new tiger, an aftermarket Turret basked and a few bits you can see through the hatches would do fine.  However full interior, no, unless I break down and buy the classic 1/25 Tamiya tiger for a sentimental build, that had full interior but was very basic.  

I agree (other than the Sherman, which I super stoked to get) One thing I think they fail to consider is that this isn't 1/35th scale, where there are  likely more Tiger kits than probably any armor kit ever produced. They also should think about the fact that this is one guy getting the ball rolling and seeing it through. This isn't Tamiya or Trumpeter (or one of their subsidiaries) who can throw people and resources at it. They should also consider that the alternative to these are converting/detailing something like Heng Long, Taigen or Torro RC kit which require, shall we say, lots of work and dedication. These are true kits that anyone in the market for 1/16 will be happy to see. I wish they would give it some breathing space and understand that even though accuracy and providing a critique of what is shown may be helpful, treading a little lighter and being a little more encouraging might be preferable. Andy seems like he is dedicated to putting out good kits,  not something with gross inaccuracies but that is also affordable. For that I am thankful, and if I have to add 2 little posts to the cupola for the umbrella holder or whatever, its kind of a small price to pay...

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2022 at 2:48 PM, Juggernut said:

I hope they used David Byrden as a source for designing this model. 

Well, I can say that they didn't involve me, and although I recently posted some comments on that kit's CAD, they have not acknowledged them.

On the other hand, I leave a lot of Tiger information sitting on TIGER1.INFO and possibly they have read it.

David

1 hour ago, Byrden said:

Well, I can say that they didn't involve me, and although I recently posted some comments on that kit's CAD, they have not acknowledged them.

On the other hand, I leave a lot of Tiger information sitting on TIGER1.INFO and possibly they have read it.

David

Hello David,

Hopefully they did as you postulate and used the information that you provide.  Even so, that would be a "second-best" alternative to actually having you involved in the project though.

Edited by Juggernut

3 hours ago, Byrden said:

Interesting!
Those videos are blurry and you can't see the fine details, but I do notice a few things that could be improved with a little "modelling skills" and a couple of things that really need aftermarket to fix. Is that the final plastic, I wonder?

David

For me with the Tiger expertise out there, there is no excuse for getting it fundamentally wrong.  If it is little stuff like the location of a tool, well anyone can fix that as there are tuns of variation.  I built the original Tamiya kits as a teen including the 1/25 tiger.  I have great memories of that 1/25 kit even though it is not accurate as the knowledge base has changed massively but that was a fun build except the individual track links snapped together and they were a big painful in the end.  I still remember how much my fingers hurt by the time I finished two runs of tracks but that was an early 70s kit and it had really nice working individual links for its age.  I don:t care much about interiors as you just don:t see much of it.  That kit back then made me want to do tanks with interiors and throughout the 80s and 90s almost no information was available.  Now the information is there, the interior kits are out there and after trying one, I learned that a proper interior is not a good thing as it is mostly wasted effort unless you are doing a cutaway or something.