FFSMC Decals???

ivanmoe

40 minutes ago, kensar said:

I used FFSMC decals on a Roden SPAD not long ago.  My experiences with the decals are noted on the 6th page.

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=12387.0

Not sure if the link works.  May have to paste into your browser.

Terrific SPAD.

11 hours ago, kensar said:

I used FFSMC decals on a Roden SPAD not long ago.  My experiences with the decals are noted on the 6th page.

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=12387.0

Not sure if the link works.  May have to paste into your browser.

Your SPAD looks great.:bow:

Final verdict on the decals?

12 hours ago, Mark P said:

Interesting....

I think I'm going to pass.

Mark Proulx

I certainly understand your concern, particularly after reading the comments regarding the SPAD build.

However, I’m as yet unsure of exactly what it is that FFSMC is selling. The product link describes the decals as being “diecut.” I could be wrong, but isn’t that term typically assigned to dry-transfer technology, rather than conventional water-slide decals?

Need more information. :blush:

Edited by ivanmoe

7 minutes ago, ivanmoe said:

The product link describes the decals as being “diecut.” I could be wrong, but isn’t that term typically assigned to dry-transfer technology, rather than conventional water-slide decals?

"Die-cut" would normally suggest paint masks to me, but "including all the technical stencils" tends to argue against that. But the actual scale of the decals is ambiguous, too, as the breadcrumb trail lists them as 1/144. There's an option to choose from multiple scales, but that drop-down menu is labelled "Ladder", which doesn't really make sense, and is probably a translation issue. Might be best to email them directly for clarification.

Kev

6 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

"Die-cut" would normally suggest paint masks to me, but "including all the technical stencils" tends to argue against that. But the actual scale of the decals is ambiguous, too, as the breadcrumb trail lists them as 1/144. There's an option to choose from multiple scales, but that drop-down menu is labelled "Ladder", which doesn't really make sense, and is probably a translation issue. Might be best to email them directly for clarification.

Kev

In French, ladder and scale are the same word ("echelle"). I guess this explains that!

Let me add to the information.  The decals look like they are ink jet printed onto a continuous sheet of decal film.  Then it looks like the images are diecut on the sheet, leaving a small edge of clear decal around the images, like typical waterslide decals.  The decals are the waterslide type.  The only issue I had was the density of the image colors appears to be inconsistent, with some more translucent than others.  On the SPAD, this wasn't a real problem, but one can see the blue edge on the two chicken decals were not exactly the same color after applied to the model.  I have not seen decals made this way before.

Link to my posting of the completed SPAD here on LSP:

I would use these decals again, but I would consider what model they are going on.  The translucence may be a problem.

Edited by LSP_Kevin
Fixed broken link

Ken,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with the FFSMC decals. I went ahead and ordered a set for an Arado floatplane in KM livery, as the LSP "aftermarket machine" apparently never went into action on behalf of the Revell product. Even Eduard barely touched the kit. As a result, It appears that the French maker is the ONLY source of decals for a German Ar 196 in 1/32.

Thanks again! :bow: