F-104G "KLU" - Italeri 1/32

Warbird

1 minute ago, Jack said:

i used to work with the 104 in air traffic control, and your presentation is spot on, very very nice build............

but as a side comment, this particular squadron jet was normally used as a QRA aircraft, so to intercept "alien" intruders in dutch airspace and using side winders on the wing tips ISO wing tanks, but they could ofcourse have been using these tanks when not on their normal duty assignment..

Thank you for your comments!

On 10/20/2022 at 12:14 AM, Jack said:

but as a side comment, this particular squadron jet was normally used as a QRA aircraft, so to intercept "alien" intruders in dutch airspace and using side winders on the wing tips ISO wing tanks, but they could ofcourse have been using these tanks when not on their normal duty assignment..

I believe Sidewinders were mounted on the wingtips mostly during the first years - Photos I've seen of that specific plane and others from the middle of the 70's till retirement show Sidewinders under the belly. Unfortunately, those pylons and launchers are not provided by Italeri.

7 hours ago, red Dog said:

img_3415.jpg

Your engine nozzle treatment is just perfect

Could you tell us a bit more about how you achieved that result? 

Thank you - that is only based on free-hand airbrush mottling over an aluminium base coat. There is tan (XF-55), sand (XF-60), grey (?) and a little bit of clear blue. The predominant dark grey is Tamiya NATO black (XF-69). No wash. Paint should be well thinned and you must work slowly and very close to the surface  - took maybe 2 hours until I was happy with the result.

2 hours ago, Warbird said:

Thank you for your comments!

I believe Sidewinders were mounted on the wingtips mostly during the first years - Photos I've seen of that specific plane and others from the middle of the 70's till retirement show Sidewinders under the belly. Unfortunately, those pylons and launchers are not provided by Italeri.

I believe the old hasegawa kit had these pylons and launchers in their kit, anyhow, your 104 is splendid......

15 hours ago, Warbird said:

Thank you - that is only based on free-hand airbrush mottling over an aluminium base coat. There is tan (XF-55), sand (XF-60), grey (?) and a little bit of clear blue. The predominant dark grey is Tamiya NATO black (XF-69). No wash. Paint should be well thinned and you must work slowly and very close to the surface  - took maybe 2 hours until I was happy with the result.

Thank you for your explanation, having achieved that effect only with airbrush is even more flabbergasting 

Hat's off !!

Fantastic Starfighter, one of the most beautiful aircraft designs man has created, IMO! You have done it justice to the very best extent, such a beautiful model.

I am so happy to have heard the thundering and roaring of the F-104's J-79 many times, it was such great music to my ears!