ICM considering OV-10A in 1/32, vote on their FB page

Jan_G

22 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

To be clear to everyone, ICM is asking about the OV-10A Bronco on their FB page.  It’s not a typo.  

Dave you're fully right, but i put it in this thread, more as wishfull thinking on the Mohawk part, sorry for the confusion.

8 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I wonder how much work it would be for Ali to change up the connection point on his brass gear from KHM to ICM....... :hmmm:

I would just make a new purpose made set, I have learnt so much since I did the KHM set, I would do things better and different. Been one of my best selling items, only lousy thing is I could not do anything until I get a kit……LETS HOPE IT HAPPENS

Edited by Ali62

8 hours ago, Lee White said:

Baloney! Your Mohawk is a work of art!

Hey Lee, thanks for the compliment, but ofcourse i found many "discrepancies" which i could have addressed differently at that time, hope you're doing fine!!

On 10/18/2022 at 8:43 AM, Tony T said:

1/32 ICM Bronco cantilever legs would almost certainly require replacement with brass. But it would very likely be a great build. 

Quite fancy a USAFE one in COIN Gray. 

Then an accurate A-10A in 1/32.

Tony 

I totally agree about the landing gear.  I even bought replacements for the Kittyhawk kit because there is no way those plastic ones aren't going to break or bend.

Seems kind of pointless to do another Bronco in 32nd scale, since KH already did the A and D versions. Sooner or later someone will rerelease those kits now that KH has bitten the dust. In 72nd scale Academy has already done very nice A and D model Broncos, so that would be a waste of effort too. I would have zero interest in a 32nd Beaufort or Mohawk as others have suggested, but either would still probably be a better choice than another Bronco. But please ICM.... not another 48th F-4, F-14, F-15, F-16, F-18, ect.... they've been done to death already. FWIW Fred K.

On 10/18/2022 at 8:30 AM, npb748r said:

Why release another one, surely there's more sales room for something new ??

On 10/19/2022 at 4:32 AM, The Phantom said:

With a 1/48 Beaufort why not 1/32, OV10 already been done

5 hours ago, f5guy said:

Seems kind of pointless to do another Bronco in 32nd scale, since KH already did the A and D versions. 

Why do modelers always make this argument? Honestly, it is hands down the dumbest one that is made whenever a kit manufacturer announces or hints at a new kit release, especially when a kit of that subjects exists. For the love of all that is holy, please stop with this ridiculous train of thought. 

A few points as to why.

First, the Kittyhawk kits are currently not available. It doesn't matter what happened to the molds or if they can be found second hand. At this moment, you can't go to any on-line hobby shop and order their kits.

Second, and this may be a shocker to some, but the Kittyhawk OV-10's don't make ICM money. Another fact that some may find shocking, ICM is in business to make a profit and again, Kittyhawk kit sales don't accomplish that for them.

Lastly, when you needed to buy a new TV, an appliance, a new car, or clothes, did you complain because you had more than one choice? Seriously, why did LG waste their time on a line of refrigerators when Frigidaire already had them available? 

Well said, sir!

I have the KH OV-10A kit, but would buy a new kit from ICM as soon as I could!

I will also buy the new ICM Yak 9, despite I have the Special Hoppy kit.

I think twins or modern jets may be a bit too large aircrafts for ICM, considering what they have given us so far.

Perhaps some smaller jets as F-86A/E/F Sabre, FIAT G.91 "Gina" , MiG-15/17/19 or continue with small small props as Chipmunk, Bristol Bulldog or Avro 504 will fit their style better.

Stefan :beer:

7 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Why do modelers always make this argument? Honestly, it is hands down the dumbest one that is made whenever a kit manufacturer announces or hints at a new kit release, especially when a kit of that subjects exists. For the love of all that is holy, please stop with this ridiculous train of thought. 

A few points as to why.

First, the Kittyhawk kits are currently not available. It doesn't matter what happened to the molds or if they can be found second hand. At this moment, you can't go to any on-line hobby shop and order their kits.

Second, and this may be a shocker to some, but the Kittyhawk OV-10's don't make ICM money. Another fact that some may find shocking, ICM is in business to make a profit and again, Kittyhawk kit sales don't accomplish that for them.

Lastly, when you needed to buy a new TV, an appliance, a new car, or clothes, did you complain because you had more than one choice? Seriously, why did LG waste their time on a line of refrigerators when Frigidaire already had them available? 

Well Dave these are indeed commonly accepted general economics principles. However, the same economics explains there are many exceptions. Typically, they do not fully apply as such when you are in a niche market. I'm ready to bet most western families have a refrigerator. Alas this is not a case for the LSP models market. I'm also ready to bet when your refrigerator, car or phone is breaking down,you're not waiting years to replace it. In a classical market, you commonly see oligopolies but rarely have a close to full monopoly that drains the market even if there are/were many temporary exceptions (one case in mind: MS Windows on PCs). In a niche, you can do that more easily and this does not leave many market shares to others to get profitability. You do not really care if you are a reasonably large and wealthy company as the bad sales of some references are actually compensated by market presence/dominance. This is sometimes a deliberate strategy to avoid emergence of competitors. For a small actor/outsider, this is a risky business that may temporarily prevent growth in the best case and threaten the company in the worst. Last, everything is actually linked to time. Unless you want to release a copy of the most sought after topic (Me109, P-51, Spit), sell in a different area, can actually enlarge the niche (think WnW marketing), cover slightly different versions or can propose a far better/improved product it is not recommended to compete with an existing offer that has been recently released in a niche. It is a common mistake to think basic economics laws apply similarly on all markets. This is simply not true for tons of reasons. So, to me, a new OV-10 released in the two years should be far better than the KH kit and noticeably less expensive in the Western world. This also means easier assembly, better accuracy, SEA decal choices, optional parts and markings for AF, USMC and Navy and the OV-10BZ. However, you still have to pray a well-known Chinese company will not re-release the existing model in the same timeframe! Conclusion: would I like a better Bronco: yes! Would I recommend that release from a small business perspective: no!