1/32 Hasegawa P-47D Sleepy Jean III

petrov27

18 hours ago, petrov27 said:

The Brush Housing is started. Not sure how much detail to put on this as the whole thing will be like 10mm wide in 1/32....

y393tDt.jpg

Ah - well done.  I take it this is intended to be 3D printed?  If so, I have found that any gage less than about 0.015 inch and the part gets so fragile you can hardly clip it off the sprues.   

Edited by JayW

1 hour ago, JayW said:

Ah - well done.  I take it this is intended to be 3D printed?  If so, I have found that any gage less than about 0.015 inch and the part gets so fragile you can hardly clip it off the sprues.   

52465289294_b669fff6d9_b.jpg

Sorry Jay if I have hijacked your comment. Not sure if I've done wright, the picture show an original cover plate for the brush pack that I have, it would have been mounted on the flat face of the brush pack, and as you can see painted black with the raised detail silver (metal) bat as it's getting on a bit I can live with the flaking paint, it lives on my key ring with my house and car keys.

Edited by Nighthawk Calling 1

17 minutes ago, Nighthawk Calling 1 said:

52465289294_b669fff6d9_b.jpg

Sorry Jay if I have hijacked your comment. Not sure if I've done wright, the picture show an original cover plate for the brush pack that I have, it would have been mounted on the flat face of the brush pack, and as you can see painted black with the raised detail silver (metal) bat as it's getting on a bit I can live with the flaking paint, it lives on my key ring with my house and car keys.

That is really cool to see - thank you for sharing! Do you have the entire brush assembly? If so, any chance for additional pictures and maybe dimensions? Thanks!

Just now, petrov27 said:

That is really cool to see - thank you for sharing! Do you have the entire brush assembly? If so, any chance for additional pictures and maybe dimensions? Thanks!

Hi Petrov,

I only have the cover plate, it is 112mm high and 60mm wide the Curtis badge is 32mm radious, the word Caution the letter height is 5mm and the other lettering is 3mm. The rivet holes are 3/16th's , the silver edge is 1/16 th of an inch. Hope this helps but its going to be tiny.

51 minutes ago, Nighthawk Calling 1 said:

Hi Petrov,

I only have the cover plate, it is 112mm high and 60mm wide the Curtis badge is 32mm radious, the word Caution the letter height is 5mm and the other lettering is 3mm. The rivet holes are 3/16th's , the silver edge is 1/16 th of an inch. Hope this helps but its going to be tiny.

Gotcha - thanks! I should be able to scale it off the drawings from Jay but just lacking a front-on drawing so was hoping :)

Let's compare notes.  My part (in 1/18 scale) is as follows:

Bolt flange dia - .53 inch.  in 1/32 that would be 18/32 x .48 = .30 inch dia

Basic body outer dia - .37 dia.  In 1/32 that would be 18/32 x .37 = .21 inch dia

Thickness - .19 inch.  In 1/32 that would be .11 inch

Prop shaft dia (or the hole dia) - .23 inch.  In 1/32 that would be .13 inch dia

I think mine is fairly accurate - are these 1/32 conversions fairly close to what you have modelled?  If far off, let's study it a bit.

Edited by JayW

10 hours ago, JayW said:

Let's compare notes.  My part (in 1/18 scale) is as follows:

Bolt flange dia - .53 inch.  in 1/32 that would be 18/32 x .48 = .30 inch dia

Basic body outer dia - .37 dia.  In 1/32 that would be 18/32 x .37 = .21 inch dia

Prop shaft dia (or the hole dia) - .23 inch.  In 1/32 that would be .13 inch dia

I think mine is fairly accurate - are these 1/32 conversions fairly close to what you have modelled?  If far off, let's study it a bit.

I think we are darn close though not able to check currently - I took the base measurement for 1/32 from the diameter of the flange on the Vector 1/32 R-2800 as it seemed the most accurate and best looking (vs. the Hasegawa or Trumpeter engines.)  I think it was right at 7mm or .275" 

In the end, the important thing to get right is the location of the engine itself inside the cowling, and the location of the propeller centerline relative to the nose cowl.  I searched in my past notes for that relationship, and concluded mathematically I could not come up with it.  I would have needed more dimensional data on the engine itself, and the Curtiss Electric prop hub, neither of which was available.  Instead I merely scaled various powerplant drawings where I could.  I got pretty consistent results that way, so the drafters back in 1942 or 1943 seem to have done a pretty good job drawing up those components.  Here is a very useful drawing view with a side view that is very useful for scaling, as it has a reference dimension that can be used ("37 7/8 ref").    

9QjFKXyh.jpg

I will send you this jpg through email,  so that you can better scale anything you want.  

Note that the engine front gearbox case is slightly inside the nose cowl leading edge.  That is important.  On Corsairs (I am currently doing a Corsair), the engine casing is actually proud of the nose cowl leading edge, curiously.  That is important so as to look authentic - many modelers don't get this right.  Also, this view should be useful in double checking the dimensions on your 3D modeled brush housing. 

12 hours ago, JayW said:

I think maybe I should not have called that dimension out, as it is going to depend on how your prop hub is configured - whether or not it has material behind the prop or not (mine did not - which is inaccurate).  I would make sure  that .21 dimension I show above is assured, and design you brush housing accordingly.