1/32 Hasegawa P-47D Sleepy Jean III

petrov27

So trying to do a "get my mojo back" build here. Simple Goal; get something done on it daily - doesn't have to be much but at least some progress.

By all accounts I have heard this is a decent kit with a few challenges but nothing crazy. I will be using some aftermarket, definitely the BarracudaCals decal set for Sleepy Jean III (they look brilliant) and master brass barrels. Probably some of the Eduard color etch set for the pit and last but certainly not least the fantastic landing gear by SOW. Maybe something for the engine - the front could use some work to make it more accurate and detailed IMHO...

Day 1 Progress

Started with the wings and tail surfaces as I am lacking paint for the cockpit - hopefully that will deliver mid week. As other builds here have noted there are noticeable long sink marks on the wings - I have filled with Mr Surfacer 1200 (more like Mr Surfacer 100 now as that pot is OLD but makes it more useful to fill small issues...)

5fKUAy1l.jpg

The Master Barrels are "full length" so you must make some modifications to accommodate for that. I Dremel-ed off the lip on each brass barrel at the back end so that these can be inserted through the ports after paint. 

gbFxlaol.jpg

Engine bits. Left is from this kit, the right borrowed from a Trumpeter kit. The Trumpeter at least has more correct distributers option parts. I know not a lot will be seen after the engine cowlings are on but I would like to at least have the front of it right. Might see if I have some aftermarket engine bits in the stash or order something....

4rusCU1l.jpg

So not a ton done day one but a start! 

Thankya - its a start at least!

Day 2

Pretty wiped out from work etc. but got a little time in this evening. All of the filler on the wing sink marks was sanded and smoothed out, made up the pylons and made the modifications to the wing so they can be fitted (drill holes, remove a raised ridge from the wing surface.) Also sawed the moulded in wingtip lights out so I can use the optional clear bits. Digging through the aftermarket looks like I have some Bazooka tubes from Eduard - deciding if I will mount these or not - they look pretty good aside from the fact that the front end is not hollow - there is a concave depression instead which seems odd. Maybe I can drill them out...

8TcaPfvl.jpg

Thanks once again for positive feedback!

Day 4

Started this evening after work sanding the seams on the wings and flaps, a little filler and more sanding - not much to show for all that but I think I got most of the problem areas (Im sure when primer is applied it will show that I have more work.)

So the cockpit. I turned to the dark side - Aires resin. I had that set lurking in the Hasegawa box taunting me, daring me to open it and inflict misery on myself. Not sure what y'all think about resin sets like Aires - they look SO great, the detail on them like twice as good as the kit plastic maybe more, but lordy trying to fit those things into kit plastic can just destroy any momentum and bog a build down. Many require massive changes to the plastic parts - extreme thinning, location lugs removed etc. and even cutting the parts off big resin blocks can be a pain. 

Well I decided to ignore all that and give it a shot - ya only live once. Parts were sawed off the blocks (man the resin stinks) I carved off the locating lugs and the small amount of interior detail on the fuselage halves, had to do some major surgery to the wing spar that the pit rests on etc. I tacked the resin pit together and mocked the whole thing up to end the evening and amazing it all fits real nice together now. Extremely productive evening on the bench even if it doesn't look like much. I will say the big Tamiya razor saw though spendy is a fine tool very handy to have on the bench.

I did get "Dark Dull Green" in the mail from Sprue Bros today - Mr Paint's rendition - it is pretty dang dark and intense. I may play around with that - trying to match what I see in the pics of the restored Dottie Mae - maybe I am making an assumption that the green they used is dead accurate, but it looks good to me...

CcF2RnO.jpg

wIvNutU.jpg

7v2jrfy.jpg

Day 7

Not a ton today; "bench" was cleaned and organized some though, new cutting pad delivered and put to use (got about 12 years out of the last one.) Interior bits given a prime of Tam AS-12 aluminum; hoping to "chip" some of the dull dark green back to this to show some wear and tear. On the road the next couple days so I guess it will be a break in the build...

tJFtlxb.jpg

So not a whole lot of hands on plastic the last couple days, but I did do some messing around with my 3d printer to see how small I can print with it. I am pretty happy - the tiny toggle switches are perfect, the injector ring for the engine you can read the "Pratt & Whitney" on the printed part and the throttle quadrant very nice and an improvement over the kit part and better (IMHO) than trying to use the flat photoetch levers that come in the Eduard or Aires cockpit sets.

Note these are not my 3d models; the switches are digital files purchased and downloaded from ANYZ. The throttle is a model I purchased of a full size replica of the P-47 throttle on Patreon "Thunderbolt Controls." I had to edit it quite a bit to re-proportion some things so they would print so small. I hope to at some point print the full size model. I did change the throttle lever itself to a different style I noted was present on the Dottie Mae P-47. That file was found on MyMiniFactory website by UnionJack68. Finally I found an entire Pratt & Whitney R-2800 on Cults3D website by user FANCHERELLO - amazing 3D model they have done - I printed the injection ring from that for possible use with this build.

As far as the actual build, I have  done some re-scribing of lost panel lines on the wings and a little more paint on the cockpit parts hope to have some more progress in the next couple days on that front....

DqayM6L.jpg

lC00tsc.jpg

qCj5EgY.jpg