1/35th question

D.B. Andrus

22 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

One good example of the issues this generates: the AH-64A Apache. There are some aftermarket sets available in one scale but not in the other and vice-versa. In 1/32, there are various resin sets to update the cockpit and external areas but no photoetched set to give better instrument panels and more detailed exhaust boxes. And this is the opposite in 1/35! And up to very recently, there were no good resin Hellfire missiles in 1/35th scale. Three companies had released them in 1/32 but for many years we had zero offer in what is now the most common scale for helicopter models. Frustrating! If more kits were very accurate, I would not bother. Unfortunately, aftermarket is generally required and this is where, to me, we have the most important issue as duplicating ranges in two scales is a problem for craftsmen.

I think the Apache is a somewhat unique issue.  The Revell 1/32 kit is quite old, and the majority of the aftermarket that came out for it (Cobra Company, Verlinden, Flightpath) is also somewhat old, and from a time where there wasn’t nearly as much aftermarket available as there is now.  The 1/35 Kangnam/IMEX/Academy kit just wasn’t a good kit, and wasn’t that popular or available, so that may have been why little aftermarket was made for it.  I don’t think the AH-64 is really a scale issue of 1/32 vs 1/35.  It’s more a case of modern aftermarket companies not wanting to spend money on either an old kit, or a not very good or popular kit.

Not to mention the upcoming brand-new Takom AH-64 kits. As a company I'd cancel any plans of making AM for the old Kagnam/IMEX/Academy kit and wait for Takoms kit to be released. I am convinced there will be some real nice AM then for this kit.

But ther will be AM for Borders 1/35 scale kits. There IS. Until today Scalemates counts 20 AM bits for Borders Me-109 G-6 kit. PE, masks, harness, wheels, decals, even a new pilot figure. So this shall not be an issue to build one of Borders kits if the scale doesn't bother you.

Regards

- dutik

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

I think the Apache is a somewhat unique issue.  The Revell 1/32 kit is quite old, and the majority of the aftermarket that came out for it (Cobra Company, Verlinden, Flightpath) is also somewhat old, and from a time where there wasn’t nearly as much aftermarket available as there is now.  The 1/35 Kangnam/IMEX/Academy kit just wasn’t a good kit, and wasn’t that popular or available, so that may have been why little aftermarket was made for it.  I don’t think the AH-64 is really a scale issue of 1/32 vs 1/35.  It’s more a case of modern aftermarket companies not wanting to spend money on either an old kit, or a not very good or popular kit.

True but Red Fox recently released instrument panels for the Revell kit. I'm still hoping Metallic details will upscale their exhaust set.

2 hours ago, Archimedes said:

And @thierry laurent there is a whole thread from 3 years ago on this very forum called 'Is there a good 1/32 Jeep?' started by BiggTim...plus ca change....:D

Indeed and I guess this is not the last time we are moaning about the lack of a good 1/32 jeep!:lol:

14 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

True but Red Fox recently released instrument panels for the Revell kit. I'm still hoping Metallic details will upscale their exhaust set.

I’ve got RFS IP, as well as the Master gun barrel, and Armory (I think) wheels.  They are nice, but are just little bits.  I’ve gotten about all of the aftermarket available for the old Revell kit, but the two things that have kept me from starting the build is the lack of the wire strike cage around the gun (the flat PE cage in the Flightpath kit just doesn’t work for me), and the lack of aftermarket decals.  I think once the Takom kits get released, people will forget about the old Revell kit.

Dear Manufacturers

This is not a wish list:

If your business model features 1/32 aircraft please take note of this:  Design and sell all of the armour that you want in 1/35 for that market but remember that for large scale aircraft the predominant scale on sale is 1/32 from almost all manufacturers and we ask that if you decide to make ground support vehicles that would naturally be found on an airfield from any era of aviation, please design and sell those in 1/32. We would buy them. 

Thank you

54 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

I’ve got RFS IP, as well as the Master gun barrel, and Armory (I think) wheels.  They are nice, but are just little bits.  I’ve gotten about all of the aftermarket available for the old Revell kit, but the two things that have kept me from starting the build is the lack of the wire strike cage around the gun (the flat PE cage in the Flightpath kit just doesn’t work for me), and the lack of aftermarket decals.  I think once the Takom kits get released, people will forget about the old Revell kit.

I've exactly the same bits. For the gun cage I'm intending to use the Flightpath set as a template to create one with metal rods and solder. What is really annoying me is the lack of good exhausts.

In answer to the OP's question - no, I would not buy a P-51B in 1/35, or ANY aircraft for that matter, even if I could get it for free. I love P-51Bs, but absolutely HATE, HATE, HATE 1/35 as a scale, and am still irritated that it even exists (thanks Tamiya, you dumb @$$holes). It is the sole reason I do not build choppers, and very little armor. You'll even note that when the larger scale armor kits started coming out, they were all in 1/16, which is twice as big as (you guessed it) 1/32! They didn't make them in  1/17.5 scale, they went back to a consistent scale. WTF? If I were someone like Andy's HHQ, I'd start producing all of the those great new 1/16 armor/vehicle kits in 1/32 as well. I would buy those in a heartbeat at any cost. (Rant over, sorry, you struck a nerve!)

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

Indeed and I guess this is not the last time we are moaning about the lack of a good 1/32 jeep!:lol:

I still haven't found a good solution, either. It seems utterly ridiculous to me that no one has done a good one yet in 1/32. I've even been looking at 3D printing one for my use, but I haven't decide which .STL file is the best one out there to use, since you usually have to pay for them. I'd love to hear what you guys think, but maybe in my other thread. Don't want to hijack this one. 

20 hours ago, Archimedes said:

P51B in 1/35th? It depends on context for me:

a) to put next to other built aircraft I am displaying that are 1/32? No; because like @thierry laurent said, "scale uniformity is important to me"

b) to put into a stand alone diorama with a Jeep, a Deuce and a Half and several figures that are generally only available in 1/35th? Yes, because,  like @thierry laurent said, "scale uniformity is important to me."

I suspect that what grinds most contributors' gears on this subject is what Thierry called out most eloquently in his Apache example above: Duplication of effort and worst of all incomplete duplication in aftermarket etc. 

Now, imagine this was an armour board and flip the question on its head: "If Border released an accurate Jeep in 1/32 (and if there is no accurate 1/35 kit) would you buy it?" The armour guys would generally shun it as heresy and we would flock to it in droves to pose next to our nice 1/32 Allied aircraft of choice.

It seems duplication in 1/32 and 1/35 is upon us so we pay our money and we take our choice!

Kind regards,

Paul 

Paul,

Whilst I agree with the majority of what you have written [as well as the seasoned and logical position/arguments of Thierry + others], I would take issue/argue with your point concerning 'armour' guys hating and/or refusing to build a 1/32 jeep [or other soft skinned or armour in that scale]. 

My experience of talking to fellow armour modellers and customers both in the UK and around the world is that the majority wouldn't give a flying monkeys [no pun intended] or give two hoots if a kit of that nature appeared. Most are utterly indifferent to the prospect and if the subject appeals, they would build it.

Personally, I build soft skins, armour and 'civilian' vehicles in all of the larger scales, upto and including 1/6 scale. That is not a criticism of smaller scales, but given the joys of getting old; slowly failing eyesight, old injuries to both hands and a touch of arthritis in my right hand, it's just a simple issue of practicality.

If truth be told, the only screaming zealots I read and/or hear from on sites or at shows/meet's when discussing the heresy of kits being produced in scales they disapprove of is centred on the LSP community, with one or two exceptions in the car/truck community when discussing 1/24 and 1/25 scales. Why has always eluded me, but each unto their own.

For me I sincerely hope that a manufacturer eventually produces more 1/32 vehicles to compliment LSP's, but I am also keen to see Border and others produce more 1/35 LSP, just to see what they come up with. But if the first company to produce say a Westland Wasp or Scout or a Ka-52 Alligator was in 1/32 rather than 1/35, I'd happily snap it up and start building, not start bleating, whinging, moaning and throwing their teddies out of the pram like a stroppy 4 year old with no emotional control of compass. Live and let live and enjoy what you do, life is way too short not to....and leave the moaning and berating to politicians....it's what they get paid for.

In the meantime, good modelling and stay safe.

Gary.    

28 minutes ago, Redcap1960 said:

Paul,

Whilst I agree with the majority of what you have written [as well as the seasoned and logical position/arguments of Thierry + others], I would take issue/argue with your point concerning 'armour' guys hating and/or refusing to build a 1/32 jeep [or other soft skinned or armour in that scale]. 

My experience of talking to fellow armour modellers and customers both in the UK and around the world is that the majority wouldn't give a flying monkeys [no pun intended] or give two hoots if a kit of that nature appeared. Most are utterly indifferent to the prospect and if the subject appeals, they would build it.

Personally, I build soft skins, armour and 'civilian' vehicles in all of the larger scales, upto and including 1/6 scale. That is not a criticism of smaller scales, but given the joys of getting old; slowly failing eyesight, old injuries to both hands and a touch of arthritis in my right hand, it's just a simple issue of practicality.

If truth be told, the only screaming zealots I read and/or hear from on sites or at shows/meet's when discussing the heresy of kits being produced in scales they disapprove of is centred on the LSP community, with one or two exceptions in the car/truck community when discussing 1/24 and 1/25 scales. Why has always eluded me, but each unto their own.

For me I sincerely hope that a manufacturer eventually produces more 1/32 vehicles to compliment LSP's, but I am also keen to see Border and others produce more 1/35 LSP, just to see what they come up with. But if the first company to produce say a Westland Wasp or Scout or a Ka-52 Alligator was in 1/32 rather than 1/35, I'd happily snap it up and start building, not start bleating, whinging, moaning and throwing their teddies out of the pram like a stroppy 4 year old with no emotional control of compass. Live and let live and enjoy what you do, life is way too short not to....and leave the moaning and berating to politicians....it's what they get paid for.

In the meantime, good modelling and stay safe.

Gary.    

Hi Gary

Great points one and all. On the point you raise it is my experience that I have seen equally vehement commentary from not only the LSP community but also on Britmodeller a couple of times (they were both armour threads).  I think there is some truth in your point about aircraft modelers being most passionate about scale. I gave up on certain Australian run forum a long time ago due to the inflammatory nature of much of the commentary on certain aircraft (the Bf109 was the one that seemed to make people rail at one another).  One of the great things here is the civilized nature of the debate that goes on.  I know some get tired of wishlisting in threads and others hold strong positions about scale and other topics but generally it is all done with good humour. 

You are probably correct that the armour guys would not give a stuff about a 1/32 Jeep or Austin K2Y. All of this is speculation after all. Thanks for responding - it is good to have a reasonable chat online about a subject that we all have an interest in. 

I wish you too all the best!

Kind regards,

Paul

8 hours ago, Archimedes said:

Dear Manufacturers

This is not a wish list:

If your business model features 1/32 aircraft please take note of this:  Design and sell all of the armour that you want in 1/35 for that market but remember that for large scale aircraft the predominant scale on sale is 1/32 from almost all manufacturers and we ask that if you decide to make ground support vehicles that would naturally be found on an airfield from any era of aviation, please design and sell those in 1/32. We would buy them. 

Thank you

I have never done an airfield diorama but if someone would do as Archimedes has suggested, I would very likely get inspired to take it to that next level!