1/35th question

D.B. Andrus

No. I didn't do it in 1/48th scale either. However, this is just because scale uniformity is important to me. I have friends fully aligned on the same approach and others who build models in all scales and topics (figures, AFV, airplanes, wood ships, sci-fi)! It is really a modelling philosophy personal matter.

One good example of the issues this generates: the AH-64A Apache. There are some aftermarket sets available in one scale but not in the other and vice-versa. In 1/32, there are various resin sets to update the cockpit and external areas but no photoetched set to give better instrument panels and more detailed exhaust boxes. And this is the opposite in 1/35! And up to very recently, there were no good resin Hellfire missiles in 1/35th scale. Three companies had released them in 1/32 but for many years we had zero offer in what is now the most common scale for helicopter models. Frustrating! If more kits were very accurate, I would not bother. Unfortunately, aftermarket is generally required and this is where, to me, we have the most important issue as duplicating ranges in two scales is a problem for craftsmen.

For me?

This:

21 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

No. I didn't do it in 1/48th scale either. However, this is just because scale uniformity is important to me. I have friends fully aligned on the same approach and others who build models in all scales and topics (figures, AFV, airplanes, wood ships, sci-fi)! It is really a modelling philosophy personal matter.

I would likely get an Apache in 35th as I have several other helos in 1/35th.

P51B in 1/35th? It depends on context for me:

a) to put next to other built aircraft I am displaying that are 1/32? No; because like @thierry laurent said, "scale uniformity is important to me"

b) to put into a stand alone diorama with a Jeep, a Deuce and a Half and several figures that are generally only available in 1/35th? Yes, because,  like @thierry laurent said, "scale uniformity is important to me."

I suspect that what grinds most contributors' gears on this subject is what Thierry called out most eloquently in his Apache example above: Duplication of effort and worst of all incomplete duplication in aftermarket etc. 

Now, imagine this was an armour board and flip the question on its head: "If Border released an accurate Jeep in 1/32 (and if there is no accurate 1/35 kit) would you buy it?" The armour guys would generally shun it as heresy and we would flock to it in droves to pose next to our nice 1/32 Allied aircraft of choice.

It seems duplication in 1/32 and 1/35 is upon us so we pay our money and we take our choice!

Kind regards,

Paul