Kit Disassemby Methods??

I've recently come into possession of a 32nd Scale Hasegawa FW 190D that has been 2/3rds completed and I'd really like to take it back to its basic parts so I can use the Aires Detail sets that I have in my stash for it.

So how to get everything unglued and back to basic parts? Or is it a case of just leave it and buy a fresh kit to start over with for the detail sets?

Cheers

Depends on what he used to initially glue it together. If he used Plastruct or liquid Tamiya thin or the like, Id say bail and get yourself a fresh kit, its likely to be a painful and ugly disassembly process in that case.

However if CA was used you might have a better shot at disassembly. Although I've never tried it myself, I have heard bagging the model and putting it in the freezer so the CA joint become easier to remove might work, but I would probably wait for someone who has tried it. 

Here's another option that will fully disassemble any kit glued with standard plastic glue AND remove ALL paint: caustic soda pellets mixed with water.

However, keep in mind this is a nasty chemical stuff! This should be used very cautiously in a well ventilated area. Moreover, you need to protect yourself. Ideally, use a good mask to avoid breathing the fumes and protect your eyes and skin with glasses and gloves. Put the kit in a bath of the solution covering all parts in a plastic container and wait 48h. Remove the plastic parts with pliers and tweezers, rinse them and let them dry. It is also recommended to wash each them on the day after with dish soap to be sure no residue dried on any part. Rinse again, let dry and you will get a new kit! The result is really incredible!

48 minutes ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

As I'm sure folks know, you can buy CA Debonder. Is there no equivalent glue-dissolver for other types of glue? 

It does dissolve CA thats for sure. But depending on the plastic used it ALSO can dissolve polystyrene:

I would be V E R Y careful using any CA debonder on kit plastic. Damn near didnt recover the vertical fin on my Has P-40 after using some CA removing on it.:

WIP_P40_52-XL.jpg

I thought most CA debonder was Acetone. Therefore, it will melt plastic.

I know a fellow who had a glass top on his modeling bench. While gluing something and perhaps holding it, he managed to spill some CA on the glass and laid his arm there. Oops. He said to himself "no problem, I've got this bottle of acetone right here on the shelf". Also known as fingernail polish remover. His next step was to call out for his daughter, she had borrowed it. :rolleyes:

This is not me, btw, I have sons.

Edited by denders

14 hours ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

As I'm sure folks know, you can buy CA Debonder. Is there no equivalent glue-dissolver for other types of glue? 

Cheers. 

Chris. 

no there is not, because regular glue works by dissolving plastic, rather than by bonding it together as an ‘intermediary’

My incident was 100% my fault and my own stupidity.  The bottle of CA debonder I had looked so innocuous, just a bottle of thin clear liquid that didnt really smell, or stick to anything.  :rolleyes:.  All I had to do was look at what was actually in the bottle.  

I sincerely wish they would make a CA debonder that did not melt plastic, but there is not much else that I know of that melts CA other than Acetone. Even full on paint stripping lacquer doesn't really do much to ethyl cyanoacrylate. 

19 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I sincerely wish they would make a CA debonder that did not melt plastic, but there is not much else that I know of that melts CA other than Acetone. Even full on paint stripping lacquer doesn't really do much to ethyl cyanoacrylate. 

Brian - there is at least one other chemical that dissolves CA:
Propylene Carbonate

It has a much higher boiling point and won't evaporate as fast as Acetone and it's a lot less aggressive as well.

Haven't tried it on plastic - yet.

In case of glueing with conventional plastic glue (cement), you can try to dip parts ( for a night or more) what is called in french "Essence F" . Sorry don't know for equvalent in english.

Hope this helps.