Hog's firepower display - A-10C - Full makeup

red Dog

Been a while I did exclusively 1/48 models and I missed 1/32 :)

My next 1/32 project is decided but I am still in the planning phase. I do have some questions and hopefully I can get the ball rolling soon.

This well-known picture was the spark igniting the mojo to get the A-10 out of the stash.

inspiration.jpg

The gun soot weathering, the inflight popup top stance and the weapon load are too good to pass. 
I'll try to display the model inverted in flight just like the picture by inserting a 10mm plexy rod in the rear end of the fuselage.

After all, aircraft are meant to fly, and the hog is meant to popup 

It's been in my stash since released and I got a lot of aftermarkets for the model. But as it is often the case I miss a few bits here and there.

I think I have 3-4 decal sheets for this one, none of them will be useful as of course I decided to do another scheme I do not have decals for :)

A10C_popup_001.png

A10C_popup_002.png

The Trumpeter A-10A will be converted to A-10C.
As we all know the original model is a bit of a frankenA10, not really a A and not really a C either. 

Biggest challenge I see on the short term is the nose work required to correct the model (Was hoping some gifted third-party resin maker would address that issue) and the engine fans location in the engine nacelle.

Since I want to display it inverted, I'm not sure I want to invest in the GT resin set, especially since the Cutting Edge exterior detail provide the rear end of the engine. 
On the other hand the fan quality of the GT resin set seems much better than the kit's part. 

Ideally I would get my hands on a Sierra Hotel Model smaller set for the Engine Fan/inlet correction set, but that seems pretty unlikely 

So I hope I can simply relocate the kit's part a little further aft in the nacelle.

Strong with the LSP Tweak List and the experience of past modellers having documented their built I hope to prevail with this beast :)

Edited by red Dog

Glad to have you along gents, it will be a slow process :)

42 minutes ago, themongoose said:

Can’t wait to see this come together. You’re in-flight and displays that portray action are EPIC!

Just like your Thunderbirds models :) 

Thank you Chris

Some weapons thoughts:

inspiration.jpg

In the pix above, it seems we have at least 2 stations empty with most probably weapons already released before joining the tanker where this picture was probably taken.

I found a few extra pictures of the same timeframe which tends to show the complete similar loadout:

A10C_popup_004.png

Same loadout but showing the two released GBU-38. Can't really say if the GBU31 is on centreline or offset like in the original picture. The 

AIM-9M are not loaded

A10C_popup_010.png

Same kind of loadout with again the AIM-9 missing.
These pictures clearly prove that the Hogs were filthy and one heavily weathered hog is NOT an exception :)

So the full loadout should be - please correct me if I'm wrong

STA #1: GBU-12

STA #2: Rocket pod which seems to be a APKWS which I still need to source *

STA #3: AGM-65 (Looks like a D no?)

STA #4: GBU-38

STA #5: GBU-38

STA #6: empty

STA #7: GBU-31

STA #8: GBU-54 Laser Jdam

STA #9: GBU-12

STA #10: TGP

STA #11: Dual AIM-9M with LAU-105 launcher

and of course the famous Smoky Gun

Academy spares will provide the AGM-65, GBU-31, TGP and both sidewinder. The ECM pod was saved for this as well but it won't be needed

A10C_popup_006.png

Reskit will provide the LAU-105 dual launcher (I have one spare if any of you guys need one)

A10C_popup_008.png

GBU-38 (and 54) will be taken from a videoaviation set

A10C_popup_005.png

I still haven't decided on the GBU-12 but I should have plenty of them (hopefully from a good donor.

The only weapon I can't get easily if the APKWS pod. I know Flyingleathernecks have the empty pods (which I need for another OV-10G+ project) but I'd love to get one loaded. Any idea which rocket type head I could use from another set maybe? 

Another problem is getting that from the US - with the import duties in Europe nowadays, it's going to cost as much as a full kit - just like I experienced a few weeks ago with a 14$ resin instrument panel.

Any suggestion is welcome

I do have quite a choice for the GAU-8 gun:

A10C_popup_007.png

Master tubes and PE

Cutting Edge resin

AMS resin

and of course the kit's which is going straight to the dustbin :)

The extra will certainly be available for fellow hog builders

I'm pretty excited with this build 

43 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Hi Olivier,

Unfortunately, for such a project, the pile of aftermarket will still have to grow to replace the junk plastic weapons of the kit... Hoperfully, I think that Eduard and Reskit have all the relevant references.

Cheers

Thierry

Yeah, I was posting my plan over that very issue as you answered :)

Clearly none of the box ordinance will be used. But I consider myself lucky having good enough stores from academy saving my beacon.

Hopefully I'll get the APKWS pod issue sorted.

Outstanding!!  I can't wait to see this!  The Bulldogs were in the sandbox at the height of operations against ISIS. They were right after Idaho and Maryland and everyone's jets were ABSOLUTELY FILTHY from gun use.  All of these jets during this time came home with a bunch of cool mission markings and gun gas residue. 

The Speed Hunter Graphics sheet Big Scale Hogs has some jets from this era.  https://www.reidairpublishing.com/speed-hunter-graphics-132-decals/big-scale-hogs

Really cool project - I am curious if you will scratchbuild the antennas, sensors etc to make it a "C" model?

The only weapon I can't get easily if the APKWS pod. I know Flyingleathernecks have the empty pods (which I need for another OV-10G+ project) but I'd love to get one loaded. Any idea which rocket type head I could use from another set maybe? 

You can get a loaded APKWS pod from Phase Hangar Resin here: https://phasehangarresin.com/collections/32001-1-32/products/32006-apkws-advanced-precision-kill-weapon-system-set-of-two 

/Niels

Edited by Zola25

3 hours ago, Zola25 said:

Really cool project - I am curious if you will scratchbuild the antennas, sensors etc to make it a "C" model?

You can get a loaded APKWS pod from Phase Hangar Resin here: https://phasehangarresin.com/collections/32001-1-32/products/32006-apkws-advanced-precision-kill-weapon-system-set-of-two 

/Niels

Ah you beat me to it i knew i had seen one somewhere recently

If it's any help, I built this kit into mostly an A-10C about 9 1/2 years ago, which addresses many of the ordnance questions you have, along with the many tweaks that this kit needs to make a decent Warthog of any version.  Link is here, although it has the dreaded Photobucket watermarks on all the pics:

Putting Lipstick on a Pig of a Kit

As the title suggests, this kit is really, really tough to pull together properly, but it can turn out pretty good with lots of modifications and aftermarket help.  Good luck and if you have any questions, just drop me a line.

Cheers,

Chuck