Infinity 1/32 Son-of-a B!tch 2nd Class

RadBaron

9 minutes ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

Both of these attributes are MASSIVELY over-rated, IMHO. 

Cheers. 

Chris.  

They take ALL the fun out of things :lol:

51 minutes ago, npb748r said:

I have really enjoyed watching your build, proper old fashioned model building. I've got this in my stash that I keep picking up and putting back but when I do start this kit, you'll have provided some much needed guidance !

Glad it's proving to be a useful read!

You hit the nail on the head about old fashioned Modelling. If you approach the this model expecting a state-of-the-art, Tamiya-esq kit, you're going to have a VERY bad time. 

If you mentally prepare yourself, and do a bit of reading beforehand (there are now a few build logs of varying degrees of success across the internet, so there's no reason not to go into it forewarned), and prepare yourself for an old school short run kit, then you'll know what you're getting yourself into. 

At the end of the day, it's a pretty darn ambitious release for Infinity's first styrene kit, and the quality of the kit reflects that.

If you take enjoyment from MAKING the kit work, a'la old fashioned model building, then don't let the reviews and builds put you off :D

8 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

Really enjoy the problem solving with this one.  I think trying to enlarge the wheel well opening is just going to invite more issues, so this might be a mistake you just have to live with on the kit.

Matt 

You're not wrong, but I reckon I can get away with opening up the openings a little bit. At the end of the day, it's only plastic. A bit of cutting, cutting, filling and rescribing can make it all right again. :D

Watch this space, I guess:frantic:

Makes sense. Looks like you just need to open up the circular opening by maybe 15%, since it looks like the opening should be closer to the leading edge as well.

If you've got a mask cutter, could be relatively easy to scan the outline and then enlarge it by a little bit to give you a cutting template. My only worry would be the bulkheads, which may also need carving back to meet the new opening circumference.

Matt 

28 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

Makes sense. Looks like you just need to open up the circular opening by maybe 15%, since it looks like the opening should be closer to the leading edge as well.

If you've got a mask cutter, could be relatively easy to scan the outline and then enlarge it by a little bit to give you a cutting template. My only worry would be the bulkheads, which may also need carving back to meet the new opening circumference.

Matt 

You're spot on on all points and i appreciate the insight!

I do have a cutter, but I'm going to try the old fashioned way, finding something with the right diameter, Tracing around it, and matching the rest of the opening to fit. I'm pretty sure the rest of the opening is incorrect, thr lower gear doors definitely look anemic and they don't match the wheel well openings as provided by the kit, so regardless, its all a bit of a mess and the finished build will be inaccurate one way or a other.

I'll probably be making new lower gear doors, but I'll cross that bridge when we get there :D

Mmmmh... maybe enlarging the circular hole will not solve interely the issue.

what about shift it, instead?

I mean, enlarging it a quarter of moon toward the fuselage, and filling the equivalent area at the opposite side of the circle.

just my two cents!

Cheers, Paolo.

On 11/6/2022 at 5:06 AM, mc65 said:

Mmmmh... maybe enlarging the circular hole will not solve interely the issue.

what about shift it, instead?

I mean, enlarging it a quarter of moon toward the fuselage, and filling the equivalent area at the opposite side of the circle.

just my two cents!

Cheers, Paolo.

I think a combination of all will end up being the answer. I'm not after measurable perfection, rather what looks right.

Looking at reference pics, I think I've got my head around some of the things that are throwing off the shape of the kit well. 

This panel line, where the leading edge kinks, is where there would be a change of direction of the wheel well opening.

Screenshot_20221110_081752

The kit represents it outboard of that.

20221106_195657

I wondered if that meant that the location of the wheel wells was incorrectly moved outboard on the kit, but the distance between the outboard edge of the wheel well and the wing fold line seems about right, so I'm not looking into it any further :lol:

Either way, a bit of plasticard, welded in place with Sprue-Goo and I'll break out the Dremell!

20221108_185630

Otherwise, lots of visually boring jobs, gap filling the fuselage halves etc.

The engine is together and ready for a wash. Plug wires and the prop governor pushrod is enough visual interest.

20221108_213421

More soon!

21 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Clever solution for the wheel bay issue, Denzil!

Kev

16 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Smart idea.  Can't wait to see the solutions to the wheel well issue.

Matt 

Cheers guys, much appreciated!

It's all simple stuff, and 99.9% of people will never notice, but it's a fun little exercise in old fashioned MODELLING, and for me, that problem solving is the fun stuff :D

A day off work means some solid time at the bench :frantic:

The saga of the wheel wells continues.

20221111_110604

The openings are pretty much finalized, just some fine tweaking to do. The leading edges started to get a bit thin, so plasticard was used to give a bit of rigidity. 

It's looking a bit better now, when offered up to the top half

20221111_103650

Notice how the shape of the opening changes depending on how it's viewed. No wonder Infinity had trouble getting it right!

You may be wondering the purpose of the filled in section of the forward/outboard wheel well opening. The corner as supplied by the kit is a nice sharp 90°, where as it should be a radiused hole, just big enough to clear the gear leg. See the above reference pics. That hole will be shaped when I've got the gear to use as a guide.

Other odd jobs are just filling and sanding and fitting parts in the rear cockpit.

Exciting things.

20221111_101935

20221111_102013

Im calling the engine it finished. The R2600 is a big piece of gear!

2022-11-11_10-57-19

I love a round motor, but they sure are a bunch of work to build in miniature!

Back to the bench!

Edited by RadBaron