$59 1/18 BF109E at SprueBrothers

RadBaron

Does anyone know the story on this?  I'm guessing this was a "toy" before it became a model.  Is that correct?

I would LOVE to play around with an Emil in THAT SIZE!  But I'm afraid it's all junk.

Edited by ringleheim

20 minutes ago, ringleheim said:

Does anyone know the story on this?  I'm guessing this was a "toy" before it became a model.  Is that correct?

I would LOVE to play around with an Emil in THAT SIZE!  But I'm afraid it's all junk.

They seem to be unbuilt versions of large pre-made display models. Shapes seem to be there, details are chunky. Definitely blank-canvas builds to go all out, or just a really impressively large canvas on which to paint and weather. 

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend this one. It's indeed a kit version of one of 21st Century Toys very first offerings from some 20 years ago. Describing it as 'crude' is charitable. Detail is mostly absent, the panel lines put Matchbox' trenches to shame, and most importantly: it has severe shape issues. The nose is too heavy and wrong in shape, the canopy only bears a passing resemblance to the real thing (it tapers towards the rear...), the shape of the rear fuselage is off... Some of the later 21st Century Toys offerings have potential as a good basis for a stunning model (the Me 262 comes to mind, but it would still require a lot of work), but not this one. HpH does a 1/18 scale Bf 109 E-4, but that will set you back 475 EUR... :

HpH 1/18 Messerschmitt Bf 109 E-4

2 hours ago, pvanroy said:

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend this one. It's indeed a kit version of one of 21st Century Toys very first offerings from some 20 years ago. Describing it as 'crude' is charitable. Detail is mostly absent, the panel lines put Matchbox' trenches to shame, and most importantly: it has severe shape issues. The nose is too heavy and wrong in shape, the canopy only bears a passing resemblance to the real thing (it tapers towards the rear...), the shape of the rear fuselage is off... Some of the later 21st Century Toys offerings have potential as a good basis for a stunning model (the Me 262 comes to mind, but it would still require a lot of work), but not this one. HpH does a 1/18 scale Bf 109 E-4, but that will set you back 475 EUR... :

HpH 1/18 Messerschmitt Bf 109 E-4

Agreed on all points, except that this release includes much improved clear parts. 

L7ekFAW.png

19 hours ago, coogrfan said:

Agreed on all points, except that this release includes much improved clear parts. 

L7ekFAW.png

That canopy indeed looks like a major improvement over the original, which was a two-piece affair that tapered towards the rear. Still, if that's the only thing they changed, it's the proverbial lipstick on a pig. While some later 21st Century offerings sit in the uncanny valley between a toy and a model, this one firmly falls on the toy side.