Z-M Messerschmitt Bf109G-14

tucohoward

Interesting picture Jay, I get what you mean there but personally for me the kind of soft wavy control surface look as you can't really call it detail is a bit if a disappointment for me. My plan is to get an undercoat on it and then decide if I want to enhance it.

Regards. Andy 

2 hours ago, tucohoward said:

Thanks, Andy. I was looking through Marc-Andre Haldimann's Flickr as I like to do and found this picture. I would say you don't really need to emphasize the ribs. Most other 109 kits do but...

Jay

51691528632_8642767d1c.jpg

Interesting how glossy the paint is.  

Still trying to follow the instructions for the most part but I was riveting I decided carry on with more fuselage panels. The engine cowlings are all done and went ahead and painted the ones that will be 04. The right, left and lower cowlings were riveted per the ribs on the inside but pretty much matched up with my diagrams. I decided to install the gear legs as instructed. The engagement seems very solid. As long as the fuselage mounting points are in the right place the alignment should be good. Don't think it will be a big deal to paint with them in place. Also got started on the wings. All the inner detail seems a bit much but that's their style.

Fortunately the four panels that form the underside skin fit very well. Wing riveting coming soon.

Cheers,

Jay

20221108_173603.jpg20221108_173522.jpg20221108_173640.jpg20221108_173624.jpg20221108_174909.jpg20221108_193557.jpg

Thanks, guys. One thing I didn't take a picture of is the fairly significant ejector pin marks in the cowlings. Obviously not an issue for anyone doing a closed

up build but for me, definitely a bit of work. I am thinking about doing the cockpit sill rivets like those in the picture. I would have to do them with HGW rivets as I had to fill along there to get it smooth. I used sprue goo so it is plastic but don't trust it to be solid enough for the beading tool.

Cheers,

Jay

32917129697_f29ae43b07.jpg

Edited by tucohoward

Not quite as far along as I thought I would be. Been sick for a week which I probably picked up in the ER when there with my wife after she broke her wrist playing pickleball. Kind of wiped out the weekend. Anyhow I have decided on a scheme which is the one WNF profile Bf 109 Late Versions book. Standard WNF camo so 04 lower cowling and rudder plus this one has green and white fuselage bands which makes it fairly colorful. Did mate the engine assembly to the fuselage which fit perfectly. I also removed the fill cap on the right expansion tank and then repainted them aluminum. Directions called for 02 which you do see but but not often. I want to add the vent pipe for the 30mm cannon aft of the right exhaust. There was a picture on here somewhere of it so just need to find that. Riveted one wing at work today and started the other so should have that sorted tomorrow.

Cheers,

Jay

20221113_132906.jpg20221113_132706.jpg20221113_132732.jpg20221113_132240.jpg

Hope you are starting to feel better now Jay and your wife hasn't messed her wrist up to bad! The 109 is coming along very nicely, reallyike your cockpit sill which has worked really nicely. I'm currently building the engine which deserves to be painted properly as it's so nicely detailed but I'm going all closed up so not sure what to do, I'm currently leaning towards a nice paint job just because rather than everything black.

Regards. Andy