Z-M Messerschmitt Bf109G-14

As a 109 guy I have been waiting excitedly for this kit. I really should be working on other things but couldn't resist getting started. I've been following Gaz and Andy with their builds, which both look great, but not having built a Z-M kit before, I want to use everything in the box so have started with the engine and will probably follow the directions as they have laid it out. I have read through all the threads dealing with the tail issue/non-issue and will sort that out when I get there. The engine is very nicely detailed and the fit is very Tamiya-like so nothing to report on that. Haven't done a WIP here in a while so well see how it goes. Haven't decided on a scheme yet as it wasn't needed for this part of the build. I do plan on riveting it with a beading tool as I normally do and will use Radu's seatbelts as they are my favorite AM belts and thankfully have a number of sets on hand since they are OOP. Doesn't seem to be a need for much else that isn't in the box.

Cheers,

Jay

20221006_182107(1).jpg20221006_182006.jpg20221006_182019.jpg20221006_182133.jpg20221006_182032.jpg20221006_182043.jpg

Edited by tucohoward

Thanks, guys. This level of detail and parts count is fun, when everything fits as well as it did here. Definitely requires paying attention to the instructions when installing the various pipes. They need to be done in a specific order and routed carefully. Both of these are shown quite well in the excellent instruction manual. While I wouldn't want all this stuff on every build, it is interesting on occasion.

Probably won't use the Hartmann markings as I just did a Revell G-10 in his markings within the last year. Much simpler yet really nice kit that I wish was easier to find. I still love the Hasegawa 109s as well and will probably build more as I am really interested in the late war stuff, G-10, K-4. Maybe Z-M will go down that road some day. 

Jay

Thanks, guys! It's not that I have been away from modelling, just LSP. I have followed all the great work here but got involved with my local club and competitions so more of an in person experience. For a long time this was my only interaction with other modelers. Also building a fair amount of 1/48 stuff given that most competitions still don't have much in our scale. 1/32 is still my favorite though. 

I will probably do this with the cowlings open given the engine provided and I agree it would be nice to show it. I generally do like the cleaner look of things closed up other than the canopy but this kit kind of begs for open panels.

The exhaust does look a little shorter, so less overlap of each stub, than the AM stuff available for the other 109 kits now that you mention it. I think this is the first F/G/K that I haven't used AM exhaust on. Most of them are a single casting but the MDC ones are individual stubs so perhaps would work the easiest here. Others could certainly be cut into pieces as well. The AM guys will probably respond if it's thought to be an issue.

Jay

55 minutes ago, tucohoward said:

I will probably do this with the cowlings open given the engine provided and I agree it would be nice to show it. I generally do like the cleaner look of things closed up other than the canopy but this kit kind of begs for open panels.

Good choice.

but so, you will have to add the missing pipe on the top  ;-)

I also have the kit now and i'm thinking about  finishing: "with or without" the engine inside.

Without and closed cowling may suggest to solve propeller and exhaust fixation, but confirmed and agree, it's a shame not to enjoy this beauty! 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally able to get back to this build. Had my last model show of the year yesterday so had to finish things for that. Now I can work on what I want to. Following along with the instructions the cockpit is next. Before I really thought about what I was doing I installed the 30mm cannon cover so that kind of locks me into a WNF built unit. I would have preferred a tall tail version but no big deal. I have found a WNF scheme I like so it's all good. The fit continues to be excellent. Kind of reminds me of WNW with all the detail and tiny decals that definitely improve the look. Going with RB Productions belts. Only seems right since Radu designed this kit.

Cheers,

Jay20221023_112237.jpg20221023_112219_(1).jpg20221023_141244.jpg20221023_141317.jpg20221023_135707.jpg

Was the seat made of wood for the G-14 variant?  If so then metallic wear and tear is not appropriate… else if not wood then I will stay quiet LOL. Great build. I have this kit and I am collecting experiences so I will not

mess up so easily when I build mine.