F-86F-30, No. 2 Squadron, SAAF, Korea, 1953

TimW

Finally done...kit is the old Hasegawa Sabre, which had some issues--not the least of which was a -40 wing which required some surgery to make the kit an accurate -30.  Details include Eduard PE and AMS cockpit details.  Decals are from MAV Decals--he very kindly increased some 1/48th decals to 1/32 so I could have more accurate markings.    Base is that AK Interactive concrete stuff--I really like it!

Anyway, enjoy!

l2vTaaj.jpg

Q5c3bFv.jpg

Khx2moc.jpg

Looks great Tim :clap2::clap2:

Takes me back to 1975 when I first built this kit in these exact markings. At the time this hype around this release was like the latest Tamiya release!

Imagine a fully detailed engine and rubber tyres with Microscale decals. 

Edited by Cheetah11

1 hour ago, Cheetah11 said:

Looks great Tim :clap2::clap2:

Takes me back to 1975 when I first built this kit in these exact markings. At the time this hype around this release was like the latest Tamiya release!

Imagine a fully detailed engine and rubber tyres with Microscale decals. 

I still have the issue of Scale Models magazine issue from July 1973 (20p!)  Has an extensive review of the kit.   You're absolutely right about the hype!

Tim W.

Thanks, all, for the kind words.  There were some real fit issues with parts of it...but I think it all came out well in the end.

Next up, probably a MiG-15.  On a bit of a Korean War kick right now.

I also have the Kinetic Sabre.

48 minutes ago, quang said:

F-86F-30 with BOTH extended leading edge and slats. Are you sure? :hmmm:

The paperwork I had said some of the shorter wing aircraft had slats.  The photos I saw also had them.  Shortening the wing was about the limit of my conversion skills at this point.

I never realized how many wing versions there were.  The Kinetic kit comes with the "hard wing" so that'll be easier when I get around to it.

Tim W.

2 hours ago, TimW said:

The paperwork I had said some of the shorter wing aircraft had slats.

I guess you mistook the span of the wing for the width.

The F-30 wing should be shorter but also narrower than the F-40 wing depicted by the Hasegawa  model.

You can see the difference at the wing root next to the ammunition door.
1-FC095-DE-B149-49-F7-8-EEC-EEC79-F27-C3

Photo for info only.

Edited by quang

Good catch--making the wing narrower would have been beyond my skill set at this point.

I suppose I could have just saved myself all the hassle and built the Kinetic kit!

Tim W.

23 minutes ago, TimW said:

I suppose I could have just saved myself all the hassle and built the Kinetic kit!

If I remember correctly, the Kinetic is a F-35 (6-3 extended wing, with fences and no slats).

I know all these details because I always wanted to build a slatted Korean war F-86E since I saw that Hasegawa Sabre on the cover of Scale Models July 1973.
Nearly 50 years on and still waiting for the right kit to come along.:P

Cheers,

Quang