1/32 Douglas TBD-1 Devastator by Trumpeter - TBD-1A in October 2023!

Kagemusha

2 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I've yet to check my one single best reference on the Devastator (the Schiffer volume), but found this photo in this Osprey book. To me, this looks very much like what this kit provides, with either a curved or flat central panel (I really can't tell from this particular photo).

FJdHWA.jpg

Admittedly I can't find a lot of pics [ at the angle I want] but the Trumpeter windscreen does seem to have a very slight curve to it , not flat FLAT but a very gentle curve. Some pics appear to show what looks like a one piece that goes from one diagonal to the other side diagonal different style? Agree the wings look to be "over folded" for want of a different term. For what it's worth the windscreen looks a lot like the old Monogram and GWH [ though they maybe both wrong] still doesn't look all that bad [to me]

11 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

The kit appears to show a flat center panel, with the side panel being split into two parts.  One the real thing, the center part of the windscreen was curved, and the side panel was just one part, meaning only one frame line on each side, instead of two.  Also, when the wings are folded, they don’t overlap or nearly touch like is shown on the kit.

The top of the model's windscreen is slightly curved, so that certainly suggests that the panel of glass is slightly curved as well:

Windscreen.jpg

Windscreen-3.jpg

As for what is apparently windscreen framing in Kevin's pic, those might actually be support rods, instead.

In the way of "dueling images," let me offer these:

frame-4.jpg

In support of Dave's proposition, above we see, or don't see, a good example for the framing offered with the Trumpeter pics.

Another pic of the canopy, one which likely shows some framing, but is unclear in terms of exactly where it's located or how wide it is:

frame.jpg

And finally, there's this:

11.jpg

Hmm, tie goes to the ??? ;)

Another explanation might be— 

TBD’s were delivered in two batches, separated by a significant passage of time. The original larger batch were first delivered, then some time later, 20-25 aircraft were delivered to make up for shortages. There were detail differences between the two batches. I don’t know if this includes the windscreen. I don’t have my research materials at hand to confirm one way or another.

Bill M.

22 minutes ago, Bill M. said:

Another explanation might be— 

TBD’s were delivered in two batches, separated by a significant passage of time. The original larger batch were first delivered, then some time later, 20-25 aircraft were delivered to make up for shortages. There were detail differences between the two batches. I don’t know if this includes the windscreen. I don’t have my research materials at hand to confirm one way or another.

Bill M.

That seems to go hand in hand with the Osprey reference to TBD-1 early and TBD-1 late.

'Nuther pic, a big one copied from a TIFF file at the Naval Heritage website:

rubber-seal.jpg

Note the narrower width of the topmost "framing" and how dainty it appears at its top attachment-point, certainly no thicker than the aluminum framing.

Could that be a rubber seal?

Edited by ivanmoe

4 hours ago, ivanmoe said:

'Nuther pic, a big one copied from a TIFF file at the Naval Heritage website:

rubber-seal.jpg

Note the narrower width of the topmost "framing" and how dainty it appears at its top attachment-point, certainly no thicker than the aluminum framing.

Could that be a rubber seal?

Just wondering:  The  Douglas Skyraider had a multi pane windshield in which the parts were, in places,  butt-joined without a frame.  Since the TBD is a also Douglas product, perhaps this is where they pioneered the frameless, multi-pane concept out of necessity and made it work?   Seems to me there were some earlier Northrop airplanes with a similar setup and it’s well known that a bunch of Northrop guys went to work for Douglas, so……

45 minutes ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Just wondering:  The  Douglas Skyraider had a multi pane windshield in which the parts were, in places,  butt-joined without a frame.  Since the TBD is a also Douglas product, perhaps this is where they pioneered the frameless, multi-pane concept out of necessity and made it work?   Seems to me there were some earlier Northrop airplanes with a similar setup and it’s well known that a bunch of Northrop guys went to work for Douglas, so……

That's entirely possible and thru the years different companies rendered it as "normal?" framing. So this is what we 're used to looking at it seems . Any experts out there to shine some light on things / IF this is the only gaff , I believe I can fix this [ had to deal with worse, way worse. Stay tuned folks!