War toons, egg, compact kits - air, land, sea, (space?)

dutik

Hello!

Time to start a thread for my fun modelling and side projects. Did you know that there is a plethora of cute kits of all kind? Indeed, it is! There is something to fit everyones needs: Cute fighters, War Toons, Egg planes, "superdeformed" compact kits - whatever pushes your buttons. Me? - Don't like Hasegawas Eggs, but love Mengs War Toons, TMMs cute fighters and Freedom Models compacts :wub:

So this will become the place to collect all my cute model builds :punk:

List of content:

Enjoy!

- dutik

Edited by dutik

Starting with a Mig-21 by Freedom Models. Parts layout:

imgp5714xgcxb.jpg

Not bad. Very clear clear parts. Optional intake and exhaust parts. Two different rudders for MF and bis variants. Different belly gun pods. A number of drop tanks an underwing stores. Nice!

Fit is good:

imgp5741czfpq.jpg

A small amount of putty is needed at the wingroots.

Even cockpit decals are provided! Hint: Trim them. The carrier film is too large to fit the confined space down in the tub.

imgp5745qwf4l.jpg

Decals are provided for different camouflaged Russian AF aircraft. I want to build a colorful Indian Mig-21, yellow with black circles, so I looked for a suitable set of decals:

imgp5742zkflg.jpg

It's for a Mig-29, but the roundels are the same. That's it at the moment.

Regards

- dutik

While we are at it: We need some targets too!

toon1dxcna.jpg

thetz170eeq.jpg

So this is the Hetzer conversion by Retrokit for Mengs Panzer 38 plus Retrokits Madeuce. It's a bit fiddly to get the resin parts cut off from the pour plugs. Had to add a bit of styrene here and some putty there, but all in all not a bad conversion set. This will become a Swiss Hetzer, defending the Toblerone line! This line is real!  :P And yummy. Maybe :D Exhaust and toolbox are scratchbuilt. Tools on the fender are from the parts box (must be a Panther jack) as well as the extra optics on top (a tank headlight, front down). The stowage box is a bathroom cabinet from a tabletop range. It fits the bill well. :D  Just some more bits and pieces and we are ready to paint. Milka chocolate purple. Of course :thumbsup:

Regards

- dutik

On 10/1/2022 at 12:05 PM, Ben Brown said:

Those look like fun kits! A year or so ago, I saw a few photos of a diorama someone built using the Meng tanks to recreate the paint scene in Kelly's Heroes between the Tiger and Sherman. He used Minions for the crews. I wish I could find the pics again. It was a brilliant.

Ben

It is fun! And to add more fun just throw in some extra details :thumbsup:

Here we go:

imgp5754vxda0.jpg

Got the second Toon kit for the spare wheel needed. A crowbar and a headlight from the bitbox. Modelkasten track links. Well, there are more than enough links in the MK set, so I have still a full track set for a "true to scale" Hetzer.

Enjoy!

- dutik

While I am at it I've started another Toon tank conversion too:

imgp5756cufii.jpg

A Panther converted to the narrow turret mark F. The conversion set requires to carve off some details from the hull roof. Also removed the single crew hatch (drivers side) to relocate it and to add a second one for the wireless operator/bow gunner. Made some scratches and filled them with putty. Well, two of the Panther F really made it into combat in these May days in Berlin. With conventional mark G turrets, but mark Fs nevertheless. There are a lot of photos of these two white elepahants in the "Panzers in Berlin" book :speak_cool:

They were made by Daimler-Benz in Berlin, so we have got our diorama setting: A Panther F in front of a more or less damaged factory with a factory sign: "Daimler Benz. We are open!" :thumbsup:

Regards

- dutik

Edited by dutik

The Panther F build up:

imgp575910f6u.jpg

imgp5760tcccb.jpg

Quick build going mostly for OOTB. Except for the Panther F conversion set, new crew hatches, rearranges visiors, some slots plated over where I left off some equipment and adding some minor extra details here and there. So OOTB mostly :D First layer of paint revealed a few gaps that need some putty now.

Regards

- dutik

Also got the Swiss Hetzer ready:

imgp5762ddd3b.jpg

imgp57637ncie.jpg

Mengs Panzer 38 Toon tank, Retrokits Hetzer conversion set and M2-kit, some tools and boxes and a headlight from the spare parts box plus a little bit of scratchbuilding.

BTW, you need two Pz 38 kits for this conversion, for the extra spare wheel, except you are able to cast one by yourself from resin.

Enjoy!

- dutik

22 hours ago, quang said:

Some months ago, I bought several Sherman and Churchill toons with the idea of transforming them into D-Day ‘FUNNIES’.

Never found the time to do them though.

May be someday… :rolleyes:

Time will come :D

Meanwhile at another place in Europa:

imgp5779i1dzt.jpg

You know about the purle Milka cow? That's! :P

Also added some more stuff to the mini-Mig:

imgp57780eigc.jpg

Still lacking stabilizers and the pilot has only one arm, but we are coming along nicely :D

Regards

- dutik