Grumman TBF-1C Avenger USS Intrepid VT-18 vs Musashi

kkarlsen

I would like to share a project I have been working on and of the past two years. TBC-1C Avenger from the USS Intrepid. 

CW9pQvq.jpg

Grumman Avenger TBF-1C of the USS Intrepid VT-18 Torpedo Squadron.

ccvNAzZ.jpg  

The basis is the old Accurate Miniatures TBF-1C Avenger kit. Some aftermarket extras. I chose the 1/48 scale part because I planned to somehow display

the Avenger dropping a Torpedo in flight and part because I wanted to get some experience working with 'water'.

PMDGJfv.jpg

a62l0rH.jpg

WUHMgV7.jpg

ldR6gyM.jpg

From the interior build with a full crew.

iOiM5JR.jpg

The finished paintwork of the exterior.

RQnHWML.jpg

Waves cut out of a foam sheet.

D3czr61.jpg

Layer of white glue and toilet paper.

q3LZSoj.jpg

Paintwork of the water acrylic paint + glossy gel.

koHs6vS.jpg

Resin torpedo with wooden tail.

kF6derr.jpg

Working with the 'splash' of the torpedo.

wmHnCIQ.jpg

Water, splash and torpedo...

Wno18QE.jpg     spTbCrH.jpg

Everything put together. I've user a 4 mm acrylic rod to keep the Avenger flying.

HVZU1Tn.jpg

Dsm4iGw.jpg

h0WZ2wE.jpg

HzHbSQn.jpg

Closeup views of the Avenger.

YVdftNz.jpg

A couple of weeks ago the Avenger was awarded first place in the diorama class.

H0PgXHL.jpg

P.S. The Musashi together with her sister ship Yamato, were the worlds largest battleships. The US Navy attacked the Musashi during the Battle

of Sibuyan Sea. Musashi was sunk by an estimated 19 torpedo and 17 bomb hits from American carrier-based aircraft on 24 October 1944. 

o8z2mzQ.jpg

zoiPjsR.jpg                             5D6I8uR.jpg  

One of the heroes that emerged from the attack was 'skipper' Lloyd van Antwerp of the VT-18. He received 2 x Navy Cross + Distinguished Flying Cross for his bravery during the battle of Leyte Gulf 24 & 25 October of 1944.

Cheers: Kent

On 9/26/2022 at 9:57 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Outstanding work, Kent! How did you do the prop?

Kev

Thank you Kevin. For the propeller I used a sheet of clear plastic cut to the circumference of the propeller. A paper template was cut before airbrushing the 'shadow' of the propeller and some yellow for the propeller tips. Lastly I drilled a hole in the center of the sheet an attached it to my Dremel in the lowest rpm, removing some of the paint with a cotton bud/abrasive stick until I was satisfied with result. ;)

Cheers Kent

13 minutes ago, kkarlsen said:

Thank you Kevin. For the propeller I used a sheet of clear plastic cut to the circumference of the propeller. A paper template was cut before airbrushing the 'shadow' of the propeller and some yellow for the propeller tips. Lastly I drilled a hole in the center of the sheet an attached it to my Dremel in the lowest rpm, removing some of the paint with a cotton bud/abrasive stick until I was satisfied with result. ;)

Cheers Kent

Thanks, Kent. Clever thinking. Superb result!

Kev