Fly Swedish SAAB J-29B Tunnan in Congo

thierry laurent

8 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

The problem with an H profile is simple: you cannot slide smaller sections into larger ones. This means you have to use a single part and slide the wings over it. This is more complicated and assessing how to glue it efficiently inside the assembled wings is also a major challenge. So, to me, this was not a good approach. The assembly is quite solid and the advantage of the square profiles is that you can put smaller ones inside to get an even more rigid result. This also means the section can become progressively thinner from the wing root to its tip. Last, you can also use more than one spar. Initially I considered that possibility to use a second one but quickly concluded that was hopefully not required.

Your explanation makes sence.

the dimentions are very helpful l!!!!!!! 

• 2 months later...

I put that kit aside when I was contacted by a Swedish modeller who proposed me some 3d printed parts. Alas I never got any news from him since that. So, as soon as I will have ended my current non-LSP project, I will come back to the Tunnan project. Hopefully the guy will re-appear in the meantime... And if not, I will work from what I have!

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

I put that kit aside when I was contacted by a Swedish modeller who proposed me some 3d printed parts. Alas I never got any news from him since that. So, as soon as I will have ended my current non-LSP project, I will come back to the Tunnan project. Hopefully the guy will re-appear in the meantime... And if not, I will work from what I have!

Don't forget that both Maestro Models and RESIN2detail have replacement nose parts for the Tunnan. RESIN2detail also has engine nozzles and a cockpit boarding ladder. Hopefully Andreas will add his parts to the mix soon. My last message from him was back in September, where he said he was busy with work and school, but intended to start producing the parts in October. I sent him another message a few days ago, but he hasn't read it yet, having not logged on to the forums since October.

Kev

On 11/15/2022 at 4:11 AM, iaf-man said:

Great build and learning curve!!!

the cone in the exhaust is called just that-exhaust cone(helps to smooth the gas flow)

about FOD cover-I don't know of any jet without them,lack of photos isn't an indicator(there's always a chance a cat or a bird will enter the intake),the net/mesh cover

is for engine run up tests

about your solution of the wings-isn't an H profile better in bend resistance than square one?

If the wings would've been longer-do you think these profiles will held the load?

FYI: Structurally, an H section is not stronger than a tube section. It is simply the most efficient section for resisting a vertical load with the least amount of material as it puts more material in the flanges to resist moment than in the web which resists shear which isn't as big a problem. The tube shape is much stronger in torsion and for loads in the lateral direction, which is beneficial in a model, such as this one, as well as the ability to nest a smaller section. 

This is turning out great, Thierry, can't wait to see you start back up again.

6 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Don't forget that both Maestro Models and RESIN2detail have replacement nose parts for the Tunnan. RESIN2detail also has engine nozzles and a cockpit boarding ladder. Hopefully Andreas will add his parts to the mix soon. My last message from him was back in September, where he said he was busy with work and school, but intended to start producing the parts in October. I sent him another message a few days ago, but he hasn't read it yet, having not logged on to the forums since October.

Kev

Thanks Kev.

I already used the Maestro intake. The other main issue is the exhaust. The kit one is awfully inaccurate and the only aftermarket released set is the later J-29F one that is noticeably different. A replacement seat with better belts would be nice but this is not really a requirement. Brian said he was interested as well in a J-29B exhaust as it is close to identical to the Sea Venom one. So this release could help for the two kits. Nonetheless I did not see anything coming from him. Wait and see.

16 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Indeed and the printed one I saw was very nice. This is why I mentioned it!

Well, I'm also looking for parts for my two Tigger vac kits, so even more is required than what is being planned for the Fly releases! A seat would be great, but an entire cockpit would be better! Still, I doubt much more will emerge, so I'll have to do it the old-fashioned way. Should be an interesting comparison, if I ever get around to doing them!

Kev

• 7 months later...

This is crazy how time flies!

I think I need to agree I will never receive the promised printed parts and it looks no further aftermarket set will be released soon!

So, I need to find way to solve all the last issues myself.

I'm currently ending a Silhouette file to help in building the specific ladder but I still need to find some additional pictures as I found conflicting information, more particularly about the section inside the plane.

The Silhouette software is a little bit basic to draw parts but it is still possible to go through the process with a little bit of elbow grease!

Thierry

Do you mind sharing your files when they're ready, Thierry? I'd certainly be happy to put them to use! If so, you can upload them to the Non-Mask Applications section of Scale Model Paint Masks:

https://www.scalemodelpaintmasks.com/index.php?/forum/21-non-mask-applications/

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Kev

4 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Do you mind sharing your files when they're ready, Thierry? I'd certainly be happy to put them to use! If so, you can upload them to the Non-Mask Applications section of Scale Model Paint Masks:

https://www.scalemodelpaintmasks.com/index.php?/forum/21-non-mask-applications/

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Kev

Hi Kev.

This was my intention as the first test I made with the tool used a file downloaded from the website!

I will do the same with all the parts I made for the Learjet.

BR

Thierry 

Finally, I was right to be cautious as it looks all aftermarket sets depicting the Tunnan late type of ladder are actually inaccurate in one specific area: the one put inside the plane! Some have two "hooks" (one on each side of the ladder top) whereas there was only a central one. Some others have a single hook but fixed to a flat plate/bar located against the length of the cockpit sill whereas it was actually welded at the edge of two bars connected with a more or less 60° angle to the end of each side of the ladder top. So I need to rebuild that.

My friend Roland bought the FLY Tunnan + a host of AM and is facing the same issues.

I learned a while ago not to trust aftermarket providers especially when they claim to ‘correct’ and ‘improve’ the stock kit deficiencies. 

Nowadays when I use AM (mostly Ed stuff for cockpit interior), it’s only because I’m getting old and lazy. :P

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

As I got a little bit of modelling time, I went back to the barrel plane. As some of you know, I was stuck with an exhaust issue. I hoped an aftermarket one would be released but it looks the various garage industry companies that considered such a release decided to go backwards and the 3d printed parts that were promised by another modeller never appeared either. So, it looks I have to find a solution myself if I want to go on!

If you wonder why I'm so stubborn to find a solution rather than just using the model parts it is for a simple reason: as soon as you vaguely look at the exhaust area the turbine exhaust cone end is quickly visible and I never found any solution that could result in an acceptable look with the ridiculously small kit parts. I'm not yet in the 3d printing arena, so I went back to old fashion modelling solutions.

There was hopefully one light in the tunnel! The Sea Venom used the same De Havilland Ghost engine and there is a 1/32 model. However, I did not want to take the parts from that kit as I would just move the issue from one model to another one! I tried to find the spare parts or a derelict kit but typically this does not work when you're looking for something specific. So, I'm back to the elbow grease approach!

Here's a comparison between the Sea Venom parts (white plastic) and the Fly ones (grey plastic). Useless saying that the difference is jumping to the eyes...

https://i.imgur.com/xuLVJcG.jpg

EDIT: I have no clue why the picture hereabove does not open in the post?!? Really weird!

HhdkF9f.jpg

NvqNDbG.jpg

Ouch... :blink:

Hopefully, the Fly fuselage is so large that it is possible to add the Revell parts or a copy of them between the fuselage halves without major issue! Making a resin copy looks easy for the turbine cone section. However, the exhaust chamber is another matter because it is quite thin. I scratched my head for some time to find a solution but finally realized only the internal side of that chamber will be visible and the Revell parts are rather featureless and have various molding issues and injection marks. So copying the parts as such was not the best idea. In any scenario additional work was required.

I also have to consider the weigth issue as I'm far from the center of gravity of the kit and the landing gear legs are another issue of the kit. So, you need to ensure your kit stays as light as possible!

Finally, I went for a very basic idea: deploy the part shape on a 2D surface to recreate a correctly sized truncated cone out of thin plastic sheet and shape it to replicate the chamber. The cylinder-shaped section located at the exhaust end can come from the Fly kit and the larger end in which the turbine section should enter can be made out of plastic circles.

I simply used paper to copy the shape.

XMFhPDB.jpg

I still don't have a final solution but at least I have a plan and if this is succeeding I will get a reasonably accurate exhaust that stays lightweight! I will try to build the chamber first as this is the major challenge!

Cheers!

Thierry

5 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Hi Guys,

As I got a little bit of modelling time, I went back to the barrel plane. As some of you know, I was stuck with an exhaust issue. I hoped an aftermarket one would be released but it looks the various garage industry companies that considered such a release decided to go backwards and the 3d printed parts that were promised by another modeller never appeared either. So, it looks I have to find a solution myself if I want to go on!

If you wonder why I'm so stubborn to find a solution rather than just using the model parts it is for a simple reason: as soon as you vaguely look at the exhaust area the turbine exhaust cone end is quickly visible and I never found any solution that could result in an acceptable look with the ridiculously small kit parts. I'm not yet in the 3d printing arena, so I went back to old fashion modelling solutions.

There was hopefully one light in the tunnel! The Sea Venom used the same De Havilland Ghost engine and there is a 1/32 model. However, I did not want to take the parts from that kit as I would just move the issue from one model to another one! I tried to find the spare parts or a derelict kit but typically this does not work when you're looking for something specific. So, I'm back to the elbow grease approach!

Here's a comparison between the Sea Venom parts (white plastic) and the Fly ones (grey plastic). Useless saying that the difference is jumping to the eyes...

https://imgur.com/xuLVJcGhttps://imgur.com/xuLVJcGhttps://imgur.com/xuLVJcG

HhdkF9f.jpg

NvqNDbG.jpg

Ouch... :blink:

Hopefully, the Fly fuselage is so large that it is possible to add the Revell parts or a copy of them between the fuselage halves without major issue! Making a resin copy looks easy for the turbine cone section. However, the exhaust chamber is another matter because it is quite thin. I scratched my head for some time to find a solution but finally realized only the internal side of that chamber will be visible and the Revell parts are rather featureless and have various molding issues and injection marks. So copying the parts as such was not the best idea. In any scenario additional work was required.

I also have to consider the weigth issue as I'm far from the center of gravity of the kit and the landing gear legs are another issue of the kit. So, you need to ensure your kit stays as light as possible!

Finally, I went for a very basic idea: deploy the part shape on a 2D surface to recreate a correctly sized truncated cone out of thin plastic sheet and shape it to replicate the chamber. The cylinder-shaped section located at the exhaust end can come from the Fly kit and the larger end in which the turbine section should enter can be made out of plastic circles.

I simply used paper to copy the shape.

XMFhPDB.jpg

I still don't have a final solution but at least I have a plan and if this is succeeding I will get a reasonably accurate exhaust that stays lightweight! I will try to build the chamber first as this is the major challenge!

Cheers!

Thierry

That's called "stereometry" in drawings' language,if I remember correctly-laying out a 3d object in 2d drawing

You can still put a red FOD ground plug and be done with it