Pacific coast models Spitfire Mk IX Completed

chrish

This is one of their better efforts, I'm at the stencil stage on mine and it does go together very well, for some strange reason I have never built a 1/32 scale Mk.IX so I thought I would have a go at this one despite like you having a Tamiya Mk.IX in the stash.

I was stalled on mine but re started it last night.

Cheers

Dennis

7 hours ago, dennismcc said:

This is one of their better efforts, I'm at the stencil stage on mine and it does go together very well, for some strange reason I have never built a 1/32 scale Mk.IX so I thought I would have a go at this one despite like you having a Tamiya Mk.IX in the stash.

I was stalled on mine but re started it last night.

Cheers

Dennis

Is there a thread build thread here we can watch? 

Soooo some sanding filing and dry fitting with tape and high hopes

Standing on the shoulders of dennismcc I've begun working around some of the issues he pointed out on his kit.

zhvTUkN.jpg?1

Oddly everything fits much better with a humongous gap at the nose. 

o1l4lSX.jpg

yIfIgBU.jpg

Interestingly, with the bottom gap there, the kit's nose width measures out at the same nose width as the recent Revell kit.

Not sure if that is accurate but I may try just filling in the gap in the nose and working/building around it. With the gap closed up the nose is almost a 10th of an inch narrower...

ZMxj8dI.jpg

Just playing around a bit, thought I'd see if I could improve the instrument panel. The kit one isn't bad although, It also offers the option of sanding off the raised detail and using a P.E. replacement. I didn't want to sand off the raised details in case I didn't like the P.E. details (if I used them) so decided to copy the kit bulkhead in shape and possibly add the P.E. to my attempt...well, I got a little carried away with it.

the kit panel on the left (obviously) with the pe. to the left of that and my attempt on the right.

xTPzqOG.jpg

and test fitting

a few other bits added here and there as well.

iM8fsPN.jpg?1

Thanks for looking